UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Tank Filtration??

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RustyReid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
RustyReid

Favorite Fish: : The Kind That Swims

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 9:55 pm

Ok As yall know I have a new tank with 2 Emperor 400's on my 75 Gallon Tank is this enough to cycle my tank or do i need to add a canaster vac to it?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 9:59 pm

Thats plenty. The Emp 400 with the 2 Bio wheels is one of the best you can get. I would put some fresh water salt in it and if you have another tank add some of that water in it for good bacteria. Cycling is a waste of time. No need to do that if you have other tank water.
Back to top Go down
RustyReid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
RustyReid

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 10:04 pm

How much fresh water salt do I need to add to the tank I did I added a few cups to it I know its not much coming from a 10g tank but I did as some.
Back to top Go down
RustyReid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
RustyReid

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 10:05 pm

hey Kmx what kind of Fish do you have for sell so i can look at what they look like so I might can order some from you or Tex
Back to top Go down
RustyReid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
RustyReid

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 10:11 pm

lol i checked my lvls and they are the same as my other tank
0 GH
130 Kh
7.5 Ph
0 No2
0 No3

I was wond what they would be at 12hrs lol
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 10:19 pm

Check out my list. YOu can see it at the top if the forum. "KMX stock list" I have a lot! With the salt is should say on the back...I think its 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon...Double check that!
Back to top Go down
RustyReid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
RustyReid

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 10:28 pm

ok I have a ? are peacocks hard to take care of? or pretty much just like taking care of any other african
Back to top Go down
RustyReid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
RustyReid

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 10:39 pm

Here is a list of some fish that I like the colors of

Lethrinops intermedius (love this fish would not mind having a breeders)
Labidochromis Caeruleus (Lions Cove)
Labidochromis sp. "Mbamba"

Xristochromis Phytophagus
Haplichromis Sp. Flame Back
Xystichromis sp. 'Kyoga flameback'
Astatotilapia Latifasciata

Some a Malawi and some are victoria
Back to top Go down
bimmertech
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
bimmertech

Favorite Fish: : PEACOCKS OF ALL COLORS!!!!!!

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 11:13 pm

anyone know where i can get a good deal on some filters for the 400?????????????
Back to top Go down
RustyReid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
RustyReid

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 11:14 pm

how much o ou pay for yours I pay 15.00 for 4 thats proball alot!
Back to top Go down
bimmertech
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
bimmertech

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 11:19 pm

dont know, havent priced them out yet. i got extras when i bought my 400. so i havent need any till just now. there has got to be a group buy we can get in to get some.
Back to top Go down
RustyReid
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
RustyReid

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/26/2009, 11:25 pm

pet solutions has them for 10.99 for 1-2 or 9.99 for 3 or more 4 pk
pet discounters has them for 8.99 4 pk

those are the cheapest places I have found so far
Back to top Go down

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 5:05 am

They have filter frames for the emperor 400's You can get the cut it yourself media and clip it in the frame. idk where you would get it though but I know it exists.

Rusty what filter are you running on your other tank? Can you pull a cartridge from it and put it in the emperor?

Yes 2 emperor 400's is perfect on a 75gal that's what I have on mine. Actually its over filtered but that is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 8:38 am

bimmertech wrote:
anyone know where i can get a good deal on some filters for the 400?????????????

For the 400??? 400 gallons?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 8:41 am

Peacocks are just like any other african cichlid they are pretty hardy and taking care of them just requires the basics. Clean good healthy water some good food and some tender love lol!
Back to top Go down
bimmertech
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
bimmertech

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 9:59 am

KMX wrote:
bimmertech wrote:

For the 400??? 400 gallons?

i wish 400 gallons!!!!!!! i mean the emperor 400.
Back to top Go down

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 10:05 am

I will take a pic of the things I have tonight. I'm sure they are cheep and the cut it yourself cloth is cheep as well. It seems a good way to go.
Back to top Go down
bimmertech
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
bimmertech

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/27/2009, 2:23 pm

WHAT ABOUT USING PILLOW STUFFING WHERE THE EXTRA MEDIA IS SUPPOSED TO GO????? WOULD THAT WORK??? CAUSE PILLOW SUFFING IS REALLY CHEAP!!!!!
Back to top Go down
nick a
Sergeant
Sergeant
nick a

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/28/2009, 6:56 am

A lot of folks have problems with the pillow batting. Sometimes you can stuff it too loosely and stringies go out floating in your tank/sometimes too tight & it clogs very quickly. You also have to be very careful when you purchase it--verify that it has NO flame retardent/anti mildew chemicals mixed in with it!

You can buy rolls of this material from places like Grainger.com for a fraction of what you pay at most hobby suppliers. I use it in every type/brand filter I run. A 1" thick fine pad for an xP canister costs less than 10 cents! No stuffing, chemicals or stringies to worry about.
I also pick up coarse and medium foams when i can find deals on them. I haven't bought "Brand-Name" media in years. That way I can spend all my money on fish haha

Tank Filtration?? Dsc0483itc

This is a set-up with medium foam+fine pad--you can vary the media depending on stocking etc...
Tank Filtration?? Makingpads

Tank Filtration?? Topviewpads
Back to top Go down

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/28/2009, 7:07 am

Yay a fellow Grainger person!! Tank Filtration?? 858205
I'm all about using the cheaper commercial stuff. I've got several yards of septic field filter cloth that I will be experimenting with, I have it so I will try to use it for something.
I will be also using a commercial linear compressor (6-7ft of head pressure) To run air throughout my house. It s a $500 piece equipment but I had it on hand, Left over from my dads old waste water business. I could run 2-3 houses full of aquariums on it cheers
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/28/2009, 7:29 am

nick a wrote:
A lot of folks have problems with the pillow batting. Sometimes you can stuff it too loosely and stringies go out floating in your tank/sometimes too tight & it clogs very quickly. You also have to be very careful when you purchase it--verify that it has NO flame retardent/anti mildew chemicals mixed in with it!

You can buy rolls of this material from places like Grainger.com for a fraction of what you pay at most hobby suppliers. I use it in every type/brand filter I run. A 1" thick fine pad for an xP canister costs less than 10 cents! No stuffing, chemicals or stringies to worry about.
I also pick up coarse and medium foams when i can find deals on them. I haven't bought "Brand-Name" media in years. That way I can spend all my money on fish haha

Tank Filtration?? Dsc0483itc

This is a set-up with medium foam+fine pad--you can vary the media depending on stocking etc...
Tank Filtration?? Makingpads

Tank Filtration?? Topviewpads

Thank you for that really usefull information!
Back to top Go down

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/28/2009, 7:46 am

Links?
Back to top Go down

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/29/2009, 9:50 am

This is what I am talking about
Tank Filtration?? DSCN0665
The only writing on it is the words 'imagine pat pend' I have no idea where you would find it but they are really handy. Just cut and clamp any filter cloth in it and your good to go.
Back to top Go down

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/29/2009, 9:52 am

This is also handy for the emperors. its a bio filter with places inside for media
Tank Filtration?? DSCN0666
Top view.
Tank Filtration?? DSCN0664
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime8/29/2009, 10:58 am

nick where is that stuff located on the website?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tank Filtration?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tank Filtration??   Tank Filtration?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tank Filtration??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next