UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Canister Filter

Go down 
+6
nick a
thebanker
typicaltony
Holey Rock of Texas
CajunGator
Mark Reagin
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark Reagin
Private
Private

Canister Filter Empty
PostSubject: Canister Filter   Canister Filter Icon_minitime7/20/2010, 2:54 pm

I have a new system that I'm going to setup, is nine ft. long its 146.9 gals. What would be the best Canister Filter? Would it be better if I have two filters because it's so lengthy?
Thanks, Mark
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

Canister Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canister Filter   Canister Filter Icon_minitime7/20/2010, 2:57 pm

mark what are all the dimensions.

welcome to the USAFISHBOX

usafishbox
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

Canister Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canister Filter   Canister Filter Icon_minitime7/20/2010, 2:59 pm

welcome.

i love my FX5.
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Canister Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canister Filter   Canister Filter Icon_minitime7/20/2010, 4:40 pm

fx5 plus 2 powerheads... or you can go with 2 smaller canister filters - each on both end..
Back to top Go down
Mark Reagin
Private
Private

Canister Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canister Filter   Canister Filter Icon_minitime7/20/2010, 5:10 pm

Thanks everyone, the tank is 108 x 24 x13
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

Canister Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canister Filter   Canister Filter Icon_minitime7/20/2010, 7:22 pm

i would go with 2 canisters, one at each end. But me personally i would run 3 total,
Back to top Go down
nick a
Sergeant
Sergeant
nick a

Canister Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canister Filter   Canister Filter Icon_minitime7/21/2010, 6:17 am

I realize that this is more than you ever wanted to know, but after setting up a few tanks myself, these are my observations.

A lot of your filtration decisions should be based on a multiplicity of variables including (but not limited to):
Tank size
Population (size/type/quantities/etc...)
Your time ( and frequency) for vacuuming substrate etc....
Water parameters you're trying to maintain etc...
Aquascaping (lot's of rocks vs very few etc....)

There is NO one particular perfect set-up. A tank is a closed loop micro-environment and every change to any variable has a ripple effect through all the others.

For both of my 125 gallon tanks:
Moderate to heavily stocked with Mbuna
Vacuum substrate once every week or two with water changes
Able to use dechlored water right out of the tap
Lot's of rocks & fine gravel substrate

So....I chose to use an Eheim 2250 canister on one end, a xP3 canister in the middle (with the spray bar and suction tube under the glass center brace as much as possible) and an Emperor 400 on the end opposite the Ehiem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to think about the the whole 'system' vs individual facets.

HTHs
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Canister Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canister Filter   Canister Filter Icon_minitime7/21/2010, 6:25 am

Get either Fluval or Eheim filters, they work awesome, and yes use two one on each corner.. Canister Filter 393849
Back to top Go down
vman
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Canister Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canister Filter   Canister Filter Icon_minitime7/21/2010, 8:24 am

Last edited by vman on 11/27/2010, 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Canister Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canister Filter   Canister Filter Icon_minitime7/21/2010, 8:26 am

I have my Fx5 on my 120G and it's the best filter ever......EVER
Back to top Go down
bimmertech
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
bimmertech

Favorite Fish: : PEACOCKS OF ALL COLORS!!!!!!

Canister Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canister Filter   Canister Filter Icon_minitime7/21/2010, 11:22 am

I HAVE A CASCADE 1000 CANISTER FILTER AND AN EMP400 ON MY 125GAL. THE CASCADE WORKS AWSOME, REAL QUIET AND EASY TO MAINTAIN.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Canister Filter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Canister Filter   Canister Filter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canister Filter
Page 1 of 1