UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

I'm trying salt

Go down 
+12
sherrf1
lgsasquatch
FishyBusiness
Holey Rock of Texas
alkomist
thebanker
seminoleranch
ilicurtisili
CajunGator
BFinley
Ghoulish_chaos
musiccitycichlids
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage

I'm trying salt - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime6/4/2010, 6:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have been trying to learn more about salt water and corals and such..... but I think to learn I need to do....
I'm thinking of doing a tank with mostly corals and stuff and possibly one fish.... some relatively hardy stuff to start with.
I need help deciding on a good tank size, I have 10, 20g, 20 long or 30 available for this. I will probably go the cheaper route and seed base rock. Not sure when this will happen but I would like to know how involved a tank like that would be. I'm sure I could get a few low end frags and a bit of live rock to start with. This would be a slow tank, no rushing I want to learn as I go. I know I will need to spend a bit on lights and a skimmer...... and what else would be needed for a reef tank? and what size would be best to start with, I need a balance of cost and stability size.

Last edited by Fern on 7/14/2010, 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
svaha
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/21/2010, 6:50 pm

http://www.usafishbox.org/show-and-tell-f51/my-former-reef-tank-t3732.htm

was 60g
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/22/2010, 1:54 pm

I will start it with live rock and sand so the cycle should not be long at all.
I would rather go ahead and start with fish I would keep, I know damsels get mean....
The fish I may be wanting but have yet to look into them much; watchman goby, mandarin goby, mystery wrasse..... Flashing tile goby lol! jk I wish I could afford one!
Are there any good starter fish that don't get mean when they grow up?
Back to top Go down
sfagrad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sfagrad

Favorite Fish: : Clown Loaches - Fav FW

Yellow Tangs - Fav SW

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/22/2010, 2:08 pm

I started with a foxface and he is doing fine. I got him for 10 bucks though. I thought damsel @ first but nitty told me the same thing, start with fish you want. If you look online more and more sites recommend not to start with damsels unless you truly want them. The reasoning is today's chemicals and salt mixes do a much better job getting a tank ready. I let my 55g sit for a week with only rock and water then got the anemone and the 3 fish I have. I just drip acclimated everyone for 45 minutes and then put them in.
Back to top Go down
sfagrad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sfagrad

Favorite Fish: : Clown Loaches - Fav FW

Yellow Tangs - Fav SW

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/22/2010, 2:16 pm

Fyi, I got my water from a watermill express. 15 cents per gallon. I just mixed myself. All of them wuse the ro/di system.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/22/2010, 3:06 pm

u can get some occelaris clowns!!
all u need is a pair!! of em!!!
thats wat i got! they get mean but only towards eachother!!
the less dominant clown becomes the female!then the agression goes away!!!
i can get em for 10$ each:)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/22/2010, 5:51 pm

No clowns for me! unless my kids drive me insane begging for one....
I haven't seen a foxface I like yet.....
how are the bengi cardinals on hardiness? They look pretty neat.

once I get all the bits and pieces gathered I will be stocking this tank very very slowly, like 1-2 things every week or three..... so there will be plenty of biological catch up time.
Back to top Go down
svaha
Sergeant
Sergeant
svaha

Favorite Fish: : Hoplias malabaricus (wolf fish) but cant have one where I live now.

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/22/2010, 9:11 pm

Bangiaa can be touchy at times ,plus most in the pet trade are wild caught so there is extra strain there , only eat live and if you can train them frozen foods.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/22/2010, 9:15 pm

These eat frozen mysis shrimp... I know that because I have been the one feeding them the past few days, I can see if they are wild or tank raised....
I can put them on the later list any how
Back to top Go down
svaha
Sergeant
Sergeant
svaha

Favorite Fish: : Hoplias malabaricus (wolf fish) but cant have one where I live now.

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/22/2010, 9:18 pm

frozen mysis was the first frozen food I got mine to take
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/22/2010, 9:23 pm

so what is a fun colored, purpleish preferably, first fish?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/22/2010, 9:49 pm

orchid dotty backs look nice......?
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 12:53 pm

mandarin gobies!!!!
but their really hard to keep alive they say!!
or get a fire fish!! their awsome too theyre purple and yellow i think
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 3:42 pm

A manderin is defiantly on my list! Theirs one in the frag tank at my lfs I've had my eye on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 6:52 pm

I had a mandrin back in the 7o's and loved that fish. Kept him for 2 years then got rid of my tanks when I moved out of state.
Back to top Go down
svaha
Sergeant
Sergeant
svaha

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 6:59 pm

A mandrin needs live pods, a few can be convinced to eat frozen ,so make sure your tank is well seasoned with healthy pod population before buying. Other than that they are a awesome little fish for a reef tank.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 7:37 am

Ok so hes on the add later list.....
So I still need a first fish that's small, mild mannered, reef safe and fun colored....?

Do I need a lid on the tank?

so far I have; 40g breeder tank, metal stand, korilina fan, and a 36" dual satellite power compact light with acetic and daylight bulbs

I still need; to drill the tank, find a sump/refugium with protein skimmer to fit in it, probably another korilina fan, bucket of salt, hydrometer, live rock, live sand....

I may go a little shy on the live rock and get some fun shaped base rock in there as well. Because the cheaper the live rock the less fun the shapes are.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 4:24 pm

clown fish are fun and cheap!
firefish also
Chromis are awsome lil guys!!!!!! (Many different kolors and stay small!)
their are a million different types of gobies that have different kolorz on em and are cheap!!
their are some gobies that pair up with certain types of shrimp, and share the same burrow!!! its awsome!!!!
im trying for a yellow watchmen goby with a pistol shrimp combo:)

u needind a lid on the tank depends on the fish you get....fire fish,clowns,and alot of others are well known jumpers. gobies wud be kool to start off woth becuz they stay on the sandbed all the time!
if ur only going with like 1-2 fish ull be ok without the lid but alot of ppl leave their lids off for a more clean look im actually thinkin bout doin that.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 11:32 am

so whats the Dealio here fern??? any progress??updates??
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 12:42 pm

Hows the SW Tank coming along Jill, I know that extended vacation probably set you back a little... lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 5:47 pm

I decided that I really don't have the time to do salt right. My 7 year old son seems fascinated with salt so I plan on starting him with a 29g with some cyto moorii grow outs soon and if he does very well with them I will start gathering salt equipment and let him play with salt instead!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/15/2010, 9:07 am

That sounds like a good idea tho, keep the hobby rolling on the family!! lol!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/15/2010, 9:09 am

so what you gone do with the Koralias then? lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime10/15/2010, 4:50 pm

I'm sure the koralia will be put to use somewhere and the light is now on my discus tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying salt   I'm trying salt - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm trying salt
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5