UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

salt to fresh

Go down 
+2
snakeskinner
macman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
macman
Private
Private

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/21/2012, 12:37 am

can i use the same equipment to fiter water.
Back to top Go down
snakeskinner
Private
Private

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/21/2012, 10:22 am

macman wrote:
can i use the same equipment to fiter water.

in most cases yes.. what type of equipment do you have? There are some methods that may need to be altered between fresh and salt to perform properly. From what I've heard (I have very little salt experience) bio-wheels on filters will affect the ability for liverock to properly work and cause high nitrates. Bio-wheels on the other hand are awesome for freshwater. skimmers won't do anything for a freshwater tank so don't bother with one of those... KYle
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/21/2012, 10:20 pm

just scrub everything with a new brush. you wont need any solvents besides pure water. dont use soap or any detergents

bio wheels are look-like-they-are-doing-something-important but are actually do-nothing devices. toss the wheel and shove a sponge in the filter box
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/22/2012, 1:25 am

white vinger mixed with water clean the tank out really well.. sump and over flow box can still be used... skimmer won't work on freshwater but could be turn in to a c02 reactor for a planted tank. lights if african cichlids keep the lights if planted change to 6,700k.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/22/2012, 11:15 am

oh vinegar. lol forgot about that. ^_^ good call. vinegar is also a useful safe solvent. cheers
Back to top Go down
TheGodParticle
Sergeant
Sergeant
TheGodParticle

Favorite Fish: : Dats, Geo's, Fronts, Pikes. I collect the rare stuff!

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/26/2012, 3:33 am

Kasshan wrote:
bio wheels are look-like-they-are-doing-something-important but are actually do-nothing devices. toss the wheel and shove a sponge in the filter box

Huh? Did I miss something here? Bio Wheels are do nothing devices? You are aware of how Bio-Wheels came into the aquarium world right? Your statement couldn't be anything further from the truth. I hope he didn't take your advise.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/26/2012, 5:37 am

bio wheels will actually hold bacteria... a hob with a bio wheel is like having a mini wet/dry system on your tank.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/26/2012, 12:09 pm

i dont know, i just happen to be in the camp that think bio-wheels are dandy to look at but arent significantly better than any other type HOB. if i had to choose between a Penguin bio-wheel and Aquaclear; id pick the Aquaclear because it has less moving parts to screw up.

not to say bio-wheels are bad filters, they are good, but the gimmick is more hype based than functional. i do extensive research before i make any major changes to my aquarium. this isnt the only fish forum on the internet after all.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2006/12/do-bio-wheels-really-work.html

Last edited by Kasshan on 4/26/2012, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/26/2012, 12:12 pm

but you already own bio wheel so use what you got. just realize its capabilities and limitations.
Back to top Go down
TheGodParticle
Sergeant
Sergeant
TheGodParticle

Favorite Fish: : Dats, Geo's, Fronts, Pikes. I collect the rare stuff!

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/29/2012, 8:02 pm

Enormous Bio-Wheels are used in all waste/sewage water treatment plants across the U.S. Your normal drinking water that comes out of a shower head or faucet is ran through a giant Bio-Wheel before its ran through other massive sanitary procedures then recycled back to you. This is how Bio-Wheels came into the aquarium world, because they work so efficiently and well under very polluted water and nutrient conditions. They harbor Aerobic bacteria maybe better then any other kind of filter out there because they are exposed to water and more importantly air. Aerobic bacteria requires Oxygen rich environments in order to thrive thus making bio-wheels an extremely good breeding ground. If you always want to keep your Ammonia levels and Nitrites in check then you want a place where Aerobic bacteria thrives... It's hard to beat a bio-wheel when it comes to this.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/29/2012, 8:45 pm

fish tanks arent filthy sewer cesspools. the useful and effectiveness of nitrifying bacteria has a logarithmic growth chart. at some point the number of bacteria become neglible. any HOB in this case as no match for the efficiency of a canister or sump. biowheel = gimmick.

aquarium water should already be well oxygenated and the sponge inside the filter doesnt serve as a mechanical removal of detritus only it harbors most of the bacteria colonies. a biowheel isnt any better than other HOB on the market. HOBs are basically all the same, its merely personal preference.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/29/2012, 8:46 pm

i just imagined an oversized biowheel at a sewage plant spinning real fast ^_^ those bio wheels are 95% submerged and rotate at very slow rates, of course they are extremely efficient, not like pin-wheels as on aquariums.

if biowheels are as awesome a people claim them to be...
try leaving in a biowheel only removing your sponge or
try leaving in the sponge and removing the biowheel

imagine the difference in a stocked tank. then youll see my point.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/29/2012, 8:46 pm

dang sorry mate....i just thread jacked
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/30/2012, 11:27 am

Kasshan wrote:
if biowheels are as awesome a people claim them to be...
try leaving in a biowheel only removing your sponge or
try leaving in the sponge and removing the biowheel

imagine the difference in a stocked tank. then youll see my point.

This statement doesn't make much sense as far as trying to win this debate. I understand what you are saying, but different aquarium setups may require different filtration arrangements. Blanket statements such as this do little to prove your point, IMO.

I use Marineland Penguin filters on all my freshwater tanks and after pulling everything out of a 10 gallon and then throwing it all back in a 20 gallon brand new set up, I didn't lose any livestock, I owe this in large part due to the bio-wheel. When I have tried the same thing with an Aquaclear with pre-bioloaded sponges I ended up losing most of my livestock. I appreciate your opinion. But here is mine, based on my experiences and research: The more ways you filter your tank the more you increase your chances of success. That is why I generally have 2 filters on each tank (or 1 filter with chemical, mechanical and biological filtration at the very least). Overkill? Perhaps, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime4/30/2012, 4:03 pm

i agree. looks i may be using some shaky logic, based from your personal experience. ive never owned salt water tanks. so perhaps bio-wheels are more effective on them rather than other filters. i dont know, so i wont make any claims.

ive got two 50g aquaclears and one 20g aquaclear running on my 40breeder . they only have sponges in them nothing else. i could take one of those filters and setup a brand new tank and have it ready to go on a brand new tank and not worry about cycling.

we've all got different methodology, what may work for you, may doom all my stock and vice versa. other factors must surely be involved.

as i usually say when i am found ignorant; we wont know anything conclusive until someone conducts some kind of controlled experiment, which i wish i could if i didnt live with my folks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

salt to fresh Empty
PostSubject: Re: salt to fresh   salt to fresh Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

salt to fresh
Page 1 of 1