UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!

Go down 
+2
alan j t
S&FW_FishyFriend
6 posters
AuthorMessage
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Empty
PostSubject: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime2/27/2010, 10:33 pm

I decided I like my 10 gallon planted tank so much I'm going to go larger scale and make the 55 fw tropical into a planted tank! I bought a 48" PC light today on clearance ($125). Right now I have 7 Rosy Barbs, 1 Red Tail shark, 1 high-fin pleco, 1 rubber lip pleco, 3 giant danios, 1 pictus catfish, 1 painted platy and 1 black banded leporinus. I am contemplating moving the Red Tail, Black Banded Leporinus and perhaps Pictus into the cichlid tank? Or maybe another tank for just them... ideas? Would they be alright in a planted tank? I would also love to add some of the following: 3-4 Neon Swordtails, 4-6 Julii Corys, perhaps 6 or so Odessa barbs. Still in the planning stages... right now, the current fish are working on their tans from the lighting, lol. Some are apparently getting sunburned! Just kidding! lol!

I'm going to be buying more of that planted tank substrate I bought before because it worked really well for me thus far. I know Fern is going to have ideas for me on this adventure!
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 1:27 am

i love planted tanks, two are planted right now, my 55 is in limbo. decididng if i'm going to get juvie discus or not.

if i were you. i would remove the pictus. there to boisterous and would uproot or damage plants. the other fish sounds fine but the neons would quiver in fear from the barbs, i think.

what was the substrate you used in your 10 gallon? is the lamp 2 or 4 bulb?
2 should be good till you get your plant stock up. make sure you dont have actinics in the lamp, they make the tank look cool,but dont help plants much.

i love statrting a new tank, let me know if you want any plants i usually have some to spare.
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

Favorite Fish: : Currently so into Reef it's not even funny! Missed having saltwater, now that I've got it again---- STOKED!

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 9:25 am

This was my 55 gal before the new pc lighting:
Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! 23h3jpx

This is my tank now!
Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! 30lgiyq

The substrate I used in my 10 gallon was called Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate, made by CaribSea. It's worked really well thus far. I can't wait to start "renovating" the tank. I think I'm going to move the Black Banded Leporinus and the Pictus cat to another tank (possibly the Cichlid tank?) Should I put everybody in a bucket while I take out the gravel and add substrate? Or put them in a temporary tank... I am not sure if my water will get all cloudy while I add the stuff or not, because I'm going to drain most of the water off of it (because the tank is already cycled and full) so I wouldn't think it would be as cloudy.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 9:42 am

Very nice choice. I have some good plant hook ups. I will give you a list here tommorow of what I can get.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 10:04 am

Very nice Miranda.. Discus and Angelfish looks really good in a planted tank. Good luck on your new venture! Congratz.
yes
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 10:17 am

alan j t wrote:
i love planted tanks, two are planted right now, my 55 is in limbo. decididng if i'm going to get juvie discus or not.

if i were you. i would remove the pictus. there to boisterous and would uproot or damage plants. the other fish sounds fine but the neons would quiver in fear from the barbs, i think.

what was the substrate you used in your 10 gallon? is the lamp 2 or 4 bulb?
2 should be good till you get your plant stock up. make sure you dont have actinics in the lamp, they make the tank look cool,but dont help plants much.

i love statrting a new tank, let me know if you want any plants i usually have some to spare.

Thanks! The light is a 2 bulb, no actinic. What kind of plants do you have? I may have to try Angelfish (in answer to Cajun's post). I look forward to keeping you all updated; I'm getting my new DSLR camera tomorrow so you will probably be seeing a lot more photos!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 10:27 am

Miranda i will send a pic later of a planted tank with WC angels i saw in Houston..
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 10:38 am

CajunGator wrote:
Miranda i will send a pic later of a planted tank with WC angels i saw in Houston..

Is it of the one at Fish Gallery, cause if so, drool It was beautiful!
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 3:31 pm

i've tried eco before, good stuff
let me double check what i have over growing around here
Back to top Go down
S&FW_FishyFriend
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
S&FW_FishyFriend

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 8:21 pm

Has anyone tried this stuff?

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshwater_Aquarium_Plant_Substrate_p/ss.htm

It seems like it would be comparable to Eco-Complete, but much less expensive... Anyone?
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 9:52 pm

It seems that I read about some bad experiances with the Aquarium Plant Substrate.......................I would go with what ever Alan J T reccomends........I have gotten some fantastic plants from him.

(Alan, if you read this check your personal messages)
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime3/1/2010, 12:31 am

i have AP stuff in two tanks, i would reccomend it.
but turface pro is the same sh@t.
i bought a bag for a plant buddy. i gave him all my low light plants and is doing good for the lighting he has. wich is not ideal at all.
50# bag will cost you 12 bucks. just rinse and add plant jobes or root tabs and your good to go.
i gave him some CSM+B watered down(micro nutrients) and it works for his tank.

dano i gave you all of my ferns, all i have are tiny ferns starting to grow out.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime3/1/2010, 12:34 am

ohh, i just did a huge plant order and still have quite a bit of crypte spiralis and crypt wendtii/bronze with a few trimmong of ludwiga repens,sunset hygro and some runners of e. tellenus
Back to top Go down
rdoyle
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime4/29/2010, 1:13 pm

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Freshwater_Aquarium_Plant_Substrate_p/ss.htm
I have this in my tank and it does great for my low light plants.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!   Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turning the 55 community into a Planted TANK!!!
Page 1 of 1