UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Discus Water Info

Go down 
+3
philuponthepho
airball2006
KMX
7 posters
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Discus Water Info Empty
PostSubject: Discus Water Info   Discus Water Info Icon_minitime2/20/2010, 10:03 am

Just looking for some info from those who have been keeping Discus awhile. What are the ideal Water conditions for discus? Substrate ? ect. I am going to be bringing in some good stuff so I want my water to be A+ Thanks
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Discus Water Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus Water Info   Discus Water Info Icon_minitime2/20/2010, 9:42 pm

KMX, When you order the discus on Monday, is there a way that you can find out what Ph level the discus are use to? I hate to have to use too much buffer reducer every time I change out the water. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

Discus Water Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus Water Info   Discus Water Info Icon_minitime2/20/2010, 10:01 pm

Kory...Usually 6.5ph, SOFT WATER!!! 84 degrees is a good temp. No substrate is best. I agree with airball with the asking what they used so you can copy them and not stress out the fish.

How much can you get discus for?
Back to top Go down

Discus Water Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus Water Info   Discus Water Info Icon_minitime2/20/2010, 10:10 pm

Sorry I won't tell you what to do. It comes with experince of shipping Discus.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Discus Water Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus Water Info   Discus Water Info Icon_minitime2/21/2010, 12:52 am

Yes I will ask.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

Discus Water Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus Water Info   Discus Water Info Icon_minitime2/21/2010, 3:47 am

ooohhh discus,please let me know if you plan to ship!!!

if your going to bring in some quality discus then you would want the same treatment the breeders are doing for them,

you can use your water as long as the ph is steady
altering the ph from your distributor is a better idea, but not a necesity.
and if you want to alter your ph then just do it for arrival. the less stress the better.

you dont really want gravel in your tanks,every dealer i know who deals with discus only tanks will not use any substrate at all, and uses sponge filters.
the cleaner the better.

if you can use seperate hoses and nets when dealing with discus,
discus get stressed from shipping and stress leads to sickness sharing tools will not help.
so the more you practice quarantining, sanitizing your tools and washing your hands between tanks the less issues will arrive

daily w/c 100% is the best
probably not feasible ,so any daily w/c will do.
shoot for very low nitrates 84 temp is good

tetra bits is a cheap way to bring out the reds out of discus.
a varied diet will help alot
if there not hungry then blood worms should do the trick or california black worms.

this is why they are so pricey, its the labor that goes into keeping these beautys in tip top shape , keeping the quality of the discus way up, the price up and your rep as a discus dealer.

theres alot of inbetween, but theres your basics
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

Discus Water Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus Water Info   Discus Water Info Icon_minitime2/22/2010, 10:31 am

philuponthepho wrote:
Kory...Usually 6.5ph, SOFT WATER!!! 84 degrees is a good temp. No substrate is best. I agree with airball with the asking what they used so you can copy them and not stress out the fish.

How much can you get discus for?

check out his post........ @ KMX aquatics...
Back to top Go down
sandnuka
Private First Class
Private First Class
sandnuka

Favorite Fish: : Tropheus

Discus Water Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus Water Info   Discus Water Info Icon_minitime9/19/2010, 11:12 pm

I know a discus breeder who uses a very unique style when breedin his fish.... he actually uses the Dr. Walsted soil planted tank... and has huge success with it.... The soil and plants make the water really soft, and lower PH as well... Anyway, I tried it, and didnt have any success breeding, but definetly have beautiful happy discus that are growing very fast.

Anyway, just another way to think about trying.... although it goes against everything any discus keeper will tell you.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

Discus Water Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus Water Info   Discus Water Info Icon_minitime9/20/2010, 7:54 am

hey if your selling them i will be needing one right now bc my big girl is all alone the babies was suppose to keep her company but theyr to small and now shes a bit upset.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Discus Water Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discus Water Info   Discus Water Info Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discus Water Info
Page 1 of 1