UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

Favorite Fish: : african cichlids

in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Empty
PostSubject: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 8:33 am

For some reason i have algae that grows only in one part of my tank, is this because there might not be enough water circulation through that area. the rest of the tank is clear.
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

Favorite Fish: : My fish, your fish, red fish, blue fish...

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 9:08 am

Could be the way the light is hitting. Is there any natural light???
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 9:13 am

it is across from the window in the living room but the blinds are kept down. whats worse the plecos don't like it LOL
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 9:15 am

Green???
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 9:16 am

its oragnish brown and wipes of real easy
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 9:24 am

im gettin the same thing in my tank!! plecos stay away from it!
i wipe it clean but it ends up growin back in a few hours!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 9:25 am

If its a new tank it will go away on its own.
Some possibility's; circulation, debris accumulating, lighting.
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 9:26 am

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/maintenance1/p/algaebrown.htm check this out...
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 9:45 am

KOOL thanx!!!!!!!!:) but would it make a difference if the tank just hasnt been used for a good while?? i mean it was new to me!! it hasnt had water in it for bout 7yrs!!! till i got it:)
Back to top Go down
typicaltony
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 9:54 am

it's usually a bacteria and not really an algae..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 9:57 am

Alkomist, Its called new tank algae in your case. It will go away within a month. If you add a plant or 2 it will go away faster.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/17/2010, 10:13 am

Guess ill be hittin up the lfs later on today then:)
does it matter wat kinda plants??
any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 12:07 am

It could be beneficial bacteria. Ya never know, I have some growing EVERYWHERE on my emperor 400. Anywhere where the water touches that is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 7:26 am

Anything that grows fast will help a lot
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 9:08 am

Nice!!!!!!!! thanks alot guys! and phil hope all goes good with ur prob too
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 9:19 am

in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Img_1910

in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Img_1911

heres pics from one side of my 6 foot 125 gallon and the other. Is it possiblew that this paticular area of the tank is claimed by the sunflower cichlids and they seem to chase anything away from the area that that is why it is growing? I have 3 rubber lip plecco's, a hifin pleco and a regular pleco.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 9:28 am

not enough water movement?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 9:52 am

It looks like new tank algae to me.... I think it looks kinda good on that tree stump, if it were me I would leave it and not worry about it. Algae is a normal healthy thing in a fish tank.
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 12:14 pm

it may look good on the tree stump but not liking it on the gravel part.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 12:52 pm

yeah it does look nasty on gravel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 1:17 pm

any live plants in there? If not give it a week of total blackout. But you still need to figure out what is out of balance.
Back to top Go down
jcsmit7
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
jcsmit7

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 1:20 pm

if something was out of balance wouldn't the whole tank be covered in it not just that one spot. its just on that fake tree root adn about a 3 inch inches all around it, but not under it. i use the 5 in 1 testers and everything seems to be within ranges i need. has no live plants, the cichlids would destroy them, they are working on destroying the fake plants i have in there.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 1:45 pm

Just vacuum it out.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 2:24 pm

vuccume alge????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime2/24/2010, 3:42 pm

Give your gravel a good cleaning and take out the tree root thing, there may be something leeching from it if its just on and about that. If its not gone within 3 weeks you know the root thing isn't the cause and you can put it back and try out other theory's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank   in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

in regards to algae being in one small part of the tank
Page 1 of 1