UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

t5 or metal halid or both??

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

t5 or metal halid or both?? Empty
PostSubject: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/30/2010, 2:19 am

i am looking to upgrade my light. i dont have any corals right nowbut may wanna add some in the future. i have pc on my 55 gal tank right now and was thinking about going with a t5 light (216w) it will give me almost 4 watts a gal, which i think will be good for soft corals. then i started thinking about going with a metal halide light then i saw the ones with pc or t5 on it as well. the mh is like 500 watts with the two bulbs, and i was sure if that would be to much in a 55. i know you need alot more watt per a gal with hard corals but i was wondering if thats still to much and if i went with straight mh would it be any different than going with mh with t5's??? other than maybe the color. thanks for any help on this. just figured id ask befor i spent all that money
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/30/2010, 9:45 am

If you can afford it, go with the mh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/30/2010, 12:25 pm

when i can afford it i will go with metal halide. right now i have a dual t5 setup. with mh you can get different wattage bulbs. hang in there and lordraptor will help you out even more
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/30/2010, 2:26 pm

lol ya but i thank you guys for saying your opinion t5 or metal halid or both?? 772341 too!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/30/2010, 6:50 pm

np thats what were for :D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/30/2010, 8:44 pm

i am using a 4 bulb T5 ho fixture on my 90 and i will be running a 3 x 175 watt mh on my 110. here is how i figure it, i prefer the T5 ho's because of bulb life, cheaper than mh's, and dont put off as much heat making it a possibility that you may need a chiller. with that said you really need mh lighting if your tank is deeper that 24". if i had the cash i would be all over LED lighting like a cheap suit LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/30/2010, 9:07 pm

i would still like to know how they get a full spectrum led
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 12:10 am

175 Watt - Recommended for aquariums up to 20' deep or mixed corals with a few SPS and clams placed high in aquarium.

250 Watt - Recommended for aquariums up to 30' deep with mixed corals including SPS and clams.

400 Watt - Recommended for aquariums up to 48' deep or a dedicated SPS and clam aquarium.

You can grow clams and hard corals with 1-175watt bulb. Just get a good reflector.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 12:12 am

So more need to know info:
(electronic or magnetic)

Bulb life will vary depending on use as well as ballast type. In general, metal halide bulbs used with electronic ballasts can last from 18 to 24 months without significant loss in spectrum or intensity while bulbs in a similar system with magnetic ballasts will require replacing after 10-12 months of operation.
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 12:15 am

i always wondered what the difference was.
great info nitty
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 1:12 am

lol great info guys thats just what i needed to know. so ill proble go with t-5 ho's then having a standard 55gal and planning to do some soft corals. and i would like a clam or two and now i know to put them higher up in the tank to make sure they get enough light. very good info and helps me make a choice and say me some money lol thx nitty and lord
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 12:32 pm

t5 or metal halid or both?? 858205 i just learned something. now if i can just remember this stuff
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 12:59 pm

write it down
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 1:02 pm

im gonna start keeping a journal lol, how do you get vho t5s?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 1:12 pm

tim wrote:
im gonna start keeping a journal lol, how do you get vho t5s?

VHO (Variable High Output or Very High Output) are T-12 bulbs, T5's come in NO (normal output) and HO (High Output), i have never seen and T5 VHO's
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 1:15 pm

that would explain why i could only fine t-12 vho bulbs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 1:16 pm

tim wrote:
t5 or metal halid or both?? 858205 i just learned something. now if i can just remember this stuff

lol im with you there. i think we should start a book t5 or metal halid or both?? Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 1:21 pm

what are you talking about? ive allready started one rofl
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 1:32 pm

t5 or metal halid or both?? 398609
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 1:40 pm

ill sell you copy when im done. cus i need $$$ lol
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 5:27 pm

"drudown66"

you come to a conclusion on what lights you want to get?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 5:45 pm

think i am just going to go with a t-5. i think from what the guys above said the 216w the t5 put out should be enough. now i gotta figure out hwat brand to get!! any ideals
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 6:33 pm

48" Sundial T5HO
216 total watts
2x54watt 10k day
2x54 watt 10k actinics
4 l.e.d. lights
2 fans
2 timers

works great and I never had problems out it. I think I paid $325 new, but I've seen them used for under $200.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 6:40 pm

im looking for something just like that. thanks very much. i am finishing up my order for my light right now lol. cannot wait for it to get here!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime1/31/2010, 7:13 pm

nitty wrote:
48" Sundial T5HO
216 total watts
2x54watt 10k day
2x54 watt 10k actinics
4 l.e.d. lights
2 fans
2 timers

works great and I never had problems out it. I think I paid $325 new, but I've seen them used for under $200.

i only have that and its not enough to keep colors in my zoas. im gonna double up my light set up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: t5 or metal halid or both??   t5 or metal halid or both?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

t5 or metal halid or both??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next