UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Above ground pond?

Go down 
+14
istrober
eep115
mike205
ornate12
sschult
alkomist
Rachael0805
glostik
philuponthepho
76dragon
CajunGator
CSnyder00
ilicurtisili
KMX
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Above ground pond? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 12:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

I found this old plastic pool looking thing. I would say around 1,000 gallons. Circle shape and about 3 feet deep. What are my options on turning this into a pond?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/26/2010, 8:04 pm

if you want to breed koi
you can use a mop head for when they breed so the eggs have something to stick to then move the mop head into another pond or tank so the parents or other koi wont eat the fry
above ground pond sucks dont do it
Back to top Go down
eep115
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : all time favorite,guppies,and to many others to list

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 10:00 am

hi kory
i use a lot of above ground ponds. we sell our koi and goldfish out of them.
also raise alot of africans in them in the summer.also have a 10ft round 3ft deep tank with lilies and hornwort no filter i raise gourami in.
its cheaper to buy koi than raise them.
if you want to get rid of the tank pm me.
also you can shade the pond to keep the alge and temp. down
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 10:03 am

eep, Thanks for the info. When I get into a house again a pond is one of my first things im going to do. I moved in to a apt for now to save some money and get back on top where I was before..... I lost my job about 6 months ago. I found a job 6 days later but it still hurt to miss work for a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 11:19 am

Nice got pics??
Back to top Go down
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

Favorite Fish: : I love goldies of any type! I also love bettas. I hope to eventually get more tropical fish, though.

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 7:38 pm

I use a 150g stock tank as an "outdoor pond" for my goldies. I made a mistake the first summer I used it by putting it in a spot that got a little too much sun. It was the spot in my yard that gets the least amount of sun, but it was still too much. The algae was AWFUL. I had greenwater so bad that I couldn't see my fish. I had it partially covered and it didn't help. I think if I had put in more plants (floating, etc) the algae would have had some competition and would not have been as bad.
This past summer, I put it on my covered front porch and had no greenwater, but the hair algae was awful. I want an in-ground pond, but I will really have to be careful about where we build it in the yard, as I really don't have any shade trees or anything. I am thinking that I am going to wait a while and deliberate on the location.
I wish you luck as outdoor ponds, whether they are simple stock tanks, or whatever, are GREAT for the fish! I never had any nitrates and my fish got huge from all the bugs and stuff they got to eat! LOL!
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 7:43 pm

I recently bought an aquaclear 110 off CL when I went to the persons house to pick it up surprise surprise a 2,000 gallon pond in the living room...she was a member of monster fish club and had a gorgeous 2-3' redtail cat and 3 full grown black pacus in it was wild. She used cinder blocks and a pond liner with pavers around the lip to make it look nice large overflow filter....I wish I had my camera and yes I tried to get her to post here, but she said Monster gave her a bad taste in her mouth Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 7:59 pm

My above ground pond is approx.1000 gal. It's been set up now over 10 years. I'm Lucky that the location is in the breeze way? I have nevered had an algae problem. I do have a "plant filtration box " and I do load it up with other plants. I have a carpet of some type of " plant or alage " thats
coats the liner. It doesn't come off easy, but really I don't want to take off. It stays green, it must be good. The pond is filtered with a 50 gal drum only.
Back to top Go down
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

Favorite Fish: : I love goldies of any type! I also love bettas. I hope to eventually get more tropical fish, though.

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 8:11 pm

Elrollo wrote:
I recently bought an aquaclear 110 off CL when I went to the persons house to pick it up surprise surprise a 2,000 gallon pond in the living room...she was a member of monster fish club and had a gorgeous 2-3' redtail cat and 3 full grown black pacus in it was wild. She used cinder blocks and a pond liner with pavers around the lip to make it look nice large overflow filter....I wish I had my camera and yes I tried to get her to post here, but she said Monster gave her a bad taste in her mouth Rolling Eyes

I wish I could have seen that!!!!

ornate12 wrote:
My above ground pond is approx.1000 gal. It's been set up now over 10 years. I'm Lucky that the location is in the breeze way? I have nevered had an algae problem. I do have a "plant filtration box " and I do load it up with other plants. I have a carpet of some type of " plant or alage " thats
coats the liner. It doesn't come off easy, but really I don't want to take off. It stays green, it must be good. The pond is filtered with a 50 gal drum only.

Do you have some pics on here I could take a look at? I am always looking for ideas for when I finally get mine done!
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 8:16 pm

Seawitch, I currently don't have a camera, but this will change shortly.
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 9:22 pm

my goldys winter in a 150g trough under the eaves of the house and they summer in one of those huge blue water tanks like you see at the farm stores. They're happy but not always when they have to move into winter housing LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 11:33 pm

I've seen people use the spay foam under the tank for insulation and throw a pond heater in in the colder months.
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 8:06 pm

Check out my barrel pond. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://usafishbox.forumotion.com/t6418-my-barrel-pond
Back to top Go down
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 7:21 am

chicknefoot87 wrote:
Check out my barrel pond. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

https://usafishbox.forumotion.com/t6418-my-barrel-pond

How many gallons is it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Above ground pond?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2