UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Above ground pond?

Go down 
+14
istrober
eep115
mike205
ornate12
sschult
alkomist
Rachael0805
glostik
philuponthepho
76dragon
CajunGator
CSnyder00
ilicurtisili
KMX
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 12:35 pm

I found this old plastic pool looking thing. I would say around 1,000 gallons. Circle shape and about 3 feet deep. What are my options on turning this into a pond?
Back to top Go down

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 12:39 pm

You would need to reinforce the sides very very well or put it in the ground.
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 12:41 pm

dig a hole. u got room for it!!!
Back to top Go down

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 12:42 pm

In the ground you will have less temp flux issues.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 1:25 pm

What are some ideas for fish?
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 2:06 pm

The obvious would be goldfish and koi, but you could always do some bluegill/sunfish. That way when they get too big you can fry them up and put more small ones in!
Back to top Go down

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 3:16 pm

Look for fish that fit the temp ranges of your area, that's the easiest thing to do. You wont have to worry as much. Or look to the natives lol!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 3:21 pm

Anyone know anything about breeding koi?
Back to top Go down

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 3:23 pm

Theres a company in Houston call Reef Industries. They sell liners to Texas Parks and Wildlife for their hacheries. Also the oil field uses them. Very durable and about 20 cents on the dollar of pond liners like Tetra. They will make them any size you want.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 3:24 pm

I have been told above ground too many obstacles... HEAT, COLD, etc.. Always been told go under, better controls...
Back to top Go down

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 3:25 pm

KMX wrote:
Sure you toss in a dozen red roses and a cigar! lol!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 3:29 pm

fishman13218 wrote:
Theres a company in Houston call Reef Industries. They sell liners to Texas Parks and Wildlife for their hacheries. Also the oil field uses them. Very durable and about 20 cents on the dollar of pond liners like Tetra. They will make them any size you want.
good info. Thank you.

CajunGator wrote:
I have been told above ground too many obstacles... HEAT, COLD, etc.. Always been told go under, better controls...
yeah that's what I was thinking too

Fern wrote:
KMX wrote:
Sure you toss in a dozen red roses and a cigar! lol!
that's all it took to get you? Lol
Back to top Go down

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 3:30 pm

tounge1
Back to top Go down
76dragon
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 6:15 pm

I do above the ground pond but the fishes have to go inside from nov til April or they will perish
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 10:47 pm

Kory if you going to put it underground, plant some plants next to it, so when the summer comes rolling round, your fish wont choke on the algae and wont die to the extreme heat
Back to top Go down
glostik
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Loaches

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 11:40 pm

how do plants around the outside stop algae - is it from the shade?
Back to top Go down
Rachael0805
Captain
Captain
Rachael0805

Favorite Fish: : Red Devil, Red Terror, Green Terror...

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/17/2010, 11:52 pm

I think so.....
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/26/2010, 11:50 am

maybe?............idk good question

hey KMX ask chickenfoot 87 bout koi! he should know a good amount about them their his fav fish!! Above ground pond? 102652
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/26/2010, 11:53 am

i would think its from the shade. it wont grow as much, if theres alot of plant/shade. because there not as much light to make it grow.
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime1/26/2010, 12:00 pm

makes sense!!
Back to top Go down
sschult
Sergeant
Sergeant
sschult

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime12/26/2010, 10:25 am

Well if you plan on breeding koi, your on your way, you have your spawning tank, they breed on your region depending on temps, from 68 to 72 degrees, you have to be ready they do their thing in the wee hours of the morning usually starting in march throu june again the outdoor temps will control, watch for your moon cycles ussually full and new moon cycles, but your going to need a place to house your fish once they spawn, if you dont they will eat most if not all your fry, you can raise the fry in the tank, recomend you use sponge filters they wont hurt the fry you could start culling about 90 days after the spwan, with all your fish that are not shapped correctly and once the color start showing up you continue culling until you end up with the most desired fish, any where from 4 to 10 percent of the entire spawn, its a process very rewarding but it takes time and lots of space.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime12/26/2010, 11:19 am

Hello, I have a 1000 gal above ground pond. I have a couple of koi that
stay in all year round. Mainly I use for the cichlids in April or when weather
warms up. In fact I enjoy my ponds more than my indoor tanks. I get alot more
breeding outdoors. I can't wait until Spring.
By the way, The koi have spawned a few times, a few of the fry did make it.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime12/26/2010, 1:38 pm

yes Above ground pond? 858205 His outdoor pond is AWESOME!!
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime12/26/2010, 2:19 pm

Thanks Cajun
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime12/26/2010, 8:04 pm

if you want to breed koi
you can use a mop head for when they breed so the eggs have something to stick to then move the mop head into another pond or tank so the parents or other koi wont eat the fry
above ground pond sucks dont do it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Above ground pond? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Above ground pond?   Above ground pond? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Above ground pond?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next