UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

live plants that cichlids dont like

Go down 
+2
KMX
jessecichlidguy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jessecichlidguy
jessecichlidguy

Favorite Fish: : cichlids cichlids cichlids

live plants that cichlids dont like Empty
PostSubject: live plants that cichlids dont like   live plants that cichlids dont like Icon_minitime1/5/2010, 9:54 pm

im curious if anyone could help me by telling me the different live plants that cichlids dont like the taste of and what style lighting needed to grow these plants
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: live plants that cichlids dont like   live plants that cichlids dont like Icon_minitime1/5/2010, 10:32 pm

Great question! I have never had any plants stay in my Cichlid tanks. I had someone tell me one time that some plant would work and it did not. So im not sure at all. I like plants and love cichlids but its hard to keep the 2 togther. They are Vegie eaters! lol
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: live plants that cichlids dont like   live plants that cichlids dont like Icon_minitime1/5/2010, 11:19 pm

Hornworts grow pretty well in my cichlid tanks. Fish don't like the taste of them and they play a great role in aiding with the biological filtration. I have them in most of my cichlid tanks and use natural daylight bulbs. Hornworts don't have a root system so either let them float or tie them into bunches and secure them down.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: live plants that cichlids dont like   live plants that cichlids dont like Icon_minitime1/5/2010, 11:20 pm

I know for a fact no fish eats onion plants. They also wont touch amazon swords and java moss. For me, rule of thumb is: feel the plant, if it feels gross, fish wont touch it. If it feels thick, fish wont touch it. If it breaks easy, fish WILL touch it.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: live plants that cichlids dont like   live plants that cichlids dont like Icon_minitime1/6/2010, 12:13 am

you could try ferns,anubias, and some of the onion plants crinium onion and
crinium calamistratum
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: live plants that cichlids dont like   live plants that cichlids dont like Icon_minitime1/6/2010, 8:54 am

Java moss and southern water nymph and water sprite have worked well for me. The nymph and sprite may get nibbled on but they grow very fast.
Back to top Go down
JACK D
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
JACK D

Favorite Fish: : My fish, your fish, red fish, blue fish...

PostSubject: Re: live plants that cichlids dont like   live plants that cichlids dont like Icon_minitime1/6/2010, 9:10 am

Hornwort killed a bunch of my troph duboisi. It had me freaked out! I changed food, tanks (3 times), & my wife was the one who figured it out. I love it & I have it with my other africans no problem, but my trophs dont seem to like it, or they do like it, it dont like them...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: live plants that cichlids dont like   live plants that cichlids dont like Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

live plants that cichlids dont like
Page 1 of 1