UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Re-Stocking Some Tanks

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Re-Stocking Some Tanks Empty
PostSubject: Re-Stocking Some Tanks   Re-Stocking Some Tanks Icon_minitime12/27/2009, 7:15 pm

Here's my dilemma ya'll.

I currently have my 29 gallon that houses a pro-creating pair of Red Jewels that like to breed like mad. My problem is that they are spitting out 150-200 fry at a time and I cannot keep up with their breeding habits because I don't have the tank space or the room for more tanks. I am thinking that I want to re-stock or at least re-think my 29 gallon and my 55 gallon community tank. I really don't want to get rid of my pair because they do so well as parents, but I can't take batch after batch of that many fry. I also hate to kill eggs or fry off just to keep numbers down. It would be nice to have some predators that can hang with the parents. I tried using a juvenile Jack Dempsey, but unfortunately they took care of him while I was sleeping. He did manage to get some of the babies, but he didn't fair so well. I am thinking that it would be nice to do one of two things. Keep the 29 gallon as a fry grow out tank and transfer the 55 gallon into an all-cichlid tank. The only problem is that I have two albino bristlenose plecos that I'm not getting rid of. And I also have 6 albino cory cats that I don't want to part with either, so I have to have a place for them in one of those tanks.

I need two types of suggestions or both if you are willing to lend me your time.

Type 1: A full stocking list of both tanks remembering the 6 cories and the 2 bristlenoses

or

Type 2: A suggestion of a brightly colored cichlid that has a small number of fry when it breeds

Both of those would be greatly appreciated. Any other info that I should know about would also be helpful. Thanks guys! Here's your chance to create an awesome cichlid tank or tanks with someone else's money!
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Re-Stocking Some Tanks   Re-Stocking Some Tanks Icon_minitime12/28/2009, 9:25 pm

Okay, so new direction. I am going to scrap the 55 stock and my tank stocks will look like this:

55 gallon:
Pair of Red Jewels - May re-home them as well
(maybe my BN plecos)

29 gallon:
Nothing except fry
(maybe my BN plecos)

So here's what I need. I need a quick list of African Cichlids that drop less than 50 fry per batch so I can keep up with them and that won't interbreed with the rest of the fish you give me. I am thinking my Jewels and some Yellow Labs, but past that I have not a clue. I will start with Juvies until I get breeding pairs or trios, but I was thinking about having maybe 3-4 types at max. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
ilicurtisili
Admin
Admin
ilicurtisili

PostSubject: Re: Re-Stocking Some Tanks   Re-Stocking Some Tanks Icon_minitime12/28/2009, 9:52 pm

i think most of the cichlids that stay under 6in have around 30.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Re-Stocking Some Tanks   Re-Stocking Some Tanks Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Re-Stocking Some Tanks
Page 1 of 1