UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Fighting Convict Couple - HELP!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lido345
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Convict Cichlids

Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! Empty
PostSubject: Fighting Convict Couple - HELP!   Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 12:55 pm

I have a compatability problem with my Convict Cichlid couple. He beats on her.

They were the only two fish in a 20 gallon high. They had several batches of young then he nipped her tail until it was almost gone. They've been separated for almost a year. She's completely physically healed. How can I re-introduce them to one tank - without this happening again? She's in a 2 gallon. Neither of them leave their flower pots ALL DAY long.

Help!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Convict Couple - HELP!   Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 12:58 pm

He probley was beating her bc she was not breeding at the rate he wanted her to (everyday) With my Green Terror I have to seperate them about 2 weeks after the mate b.c he wants to go again and she is not ready. He starts to nip and pick on her. So I learned to seperate them for about 2 weeks after that point. Then when I re-intorduce and they breed within 2-3 days. Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! 690297 Also another reason is they might need a bit more space.
Back to top Go down
lido345
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Convict Couple - HELP!   Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 1:00 pm

Thanks!

I don't have any more space - :(
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Convict Couple - HELP!   Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 1:14 pm

Look on craigslist for a 55gallon. They are cheap if you wait for the right one. I got some for $50 -$100 with tank, stand and lights. You will need a heater and filter also. Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! 772341
Back to top Go down
lido345
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Convict Couple - HELP!   Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 1:21 pm

How do I know when they breed? So this is a "vicious" circle - constantly needing to separate them. They eat all the young too. I thought they were s'posed to be protective.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Convict Couple - HELP!   Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 3:19 pm

I don't always have to seperate them just sometimes. I seperate the fry after about two weeks
Back to top Go down
h0ngkn0t2
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
h0ngkn0t2

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids, Bristlenose Plecos and Koi

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Convict Couple - HELP!   Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! Icon_minitime12/23/2009, 5:34 am

KMX wrote:
Look on craigslist for a 55gallon. They are cheap if you wait for the right one. I got some for $50 -$100 with tank, stand and lights. You will need a heater and filter also. Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! 772341
Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! 858205 Good luck!
Back to top Go down
kweadie
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : My Jackdempsey chilid I call him Jack. My second favorite would be the Convict chilid. They are wonderful to watch, I like to watch how they take care of the babies and rearange the tank.

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Convict Couple - HELP!   Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 6:13 am

Wow! that is interesting about them eating the fry. I sure have not had that problem. I have just the opposite. When I finally took the fry out of the tank I had 135 at one time. And when I got them out of the tank she had more in 4 days.
The problem I did have was before I took the fry out of the tank they had eaten the top fins off of mom and dad. That is what made me move on getting them out of the tank. Still have some babies if any one is interested.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fighting Convict Couple - HELP!   Fighting Convict Couple - HELP! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fighting Convict Couple - HELP!
Page 1 of 1