UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

POLL ON HYBRIDS!

Go down 
+10
nitty
chicknefoot87
CSnyder00
KMX
snowflake311
juice04
dano
hydrodmg
CajunGator
philuponthepho
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

How do you feel about Hybrid fish?
Hybrids are AWESOME!
POLL ON HYBRIDS! Vote_lcap8%POLL ON HYBRIDS! Vote_rcap
 8% [ 2 ]
No Bueno, hybrid es no bueno....
POLL ON HYBRIDS! Vote_lcap44%POLL ON HYBRIDS! Vote_rcap
 44% [ 11 ]
Only some hybrids are worth it: flowerhorns, blood parrots, etc etc..
POLL ON HYBRIDS! Vote_lcap48%POLL ON HYBRIDS! Vote_rcap
 48% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 25

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 12:09 pm

Vote!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 12:54 pm

But, I did... like flowerhorns, and those Red Parrots LOL, but thats it... LOL
Back to top Go down
hydrodmg
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : broiled or grilled just not fried

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 1:00 pm

you know i voted
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 2:01 pm

Many are against hybrid fish especially among the African Lake fish.......The natural fish are numerous and uniquely beautiful......Mixing them brings forth some shoddy looking things that get mixed into the pure lines.........................It happens in nature and that is where hybridization should stay.................Mother Nature does it with foreknowledge and purpose.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 2:27 pm

Sine weirdos like to play God and make teenage mutant ninja turtle (lol), but I'm all for natural fish but some of the hybrids just look soo cool!!! I think as long as we dont introduce em to the wild, then they will okay. And plus, the fish are getting laid and are happy as can be! Cant really argue against that.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 3:29 pm

Although they are adorable, the Blood Parrots are often very deformed and have much difficulty in staying alive.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 3:41 pm

Uhhh, I dont know about that. Mine actually rule the tank. They beat up my convict countless times. And they eat all the food.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 4:07 pm

I fell in love with a pair of Parrots that did not have tails.........I don't know if they were cut or bred that way, but they have been in my sisters 90g for over a year.

I have heard of Discus without tails........These things are just for the money and apeal to those that will pay for them............People paid big bucks just to look at a baby with six limbs in India. I guess that it is all in what you want in life.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 4:14 pm

I know exactly what type of blood parrot your talking about. Those are called love parrots. I think they were bred that way but they sure are ugly
Back to top Go down

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 5:00 pm

No Bueno, hybrid es no bueno....
Translation please?

I vote no hybrid.... I only have my 2 flowerhorns because they were a gift... I will not pay money for hybrids. If I ever mix species in a tank any offspring would be put down. I'm the kind of person that wants to see lineage before buying a fish.
Back to top Go down
juice04
Sergeant
Sergeant

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 10:45 pm

I voted "no bueno", but the OB/Calico Peacock is a beatiful fish. I didn't know it was a cross between a Peacock and an Mbuna - according to cichlidforum.com
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 11:13 pm

I am not a fan. They Are wierd looking have problems and are just not right. They don't happen in wild often it is very rare.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 11:53 pm

No good.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 11:04 am

I agree that they are not good. However, if you breed them and keep them in your own tanks and only keep a select few, then I doubt that it would cause any issues. I DON'T AGREE with selling hybrids.
Back to top Go down
chicknefoot87
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 2:11 pm

philuponthepho wrote:
I know exactly what type of blood parrot your talking about. Those are called love parrots. I think they were bred that way but they sure are ugly

UGH! I foudn something worse than those heart shaped Parrots! How could they do this to fish?!

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Tatooed+parrot+fish+1
POLL ON HYBRIDS! Tatooed+parrot+fish

This is what the article had to say:

"Those tattooed parrot fish were spotted in an aquarium shop in Suzhou, China. The flowers were tattooed on the squamas of those fish using lasers instead of chemical agents. The "make-over" is said to pose no harm to the fish and the tattoo will not vanish as long as the squamas are on the fish. Even though the price of those parrot fish with the beautiful appearance have increased times, they have attracted many consumers to the store."
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 2:24 pm

Everyone that buys one should have a finger cut off.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 3:10 pm

dano wrote:
Everyone that buys one should have a finger cut off.

POLL ON HYBRIDS! 858205
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 4:05 pm

Ethics for fish can also go into what we eat as well. Being pumped by hormones so they grow 15x faster than they normally would could also be considered no bueno....Hell, I was a vegetarian for a year.....Even though i disprove on colored fish, this shizzz will still happen for as long as humans are alive (2012 maybe? LOL)

So anyways......fingers cutting off.....disagree, but dyeing the fish should stop.

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Greenpeace-logo much?

Last edited by philuponthepho on 12/20/2009, 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 4:09 pm

Parrots and Flowerhorns are the most common hybrids ever. I've owned both before doing any research. Not for me. I personally find it crazy that a male fish can't fertilize eggs. It's like they're all female.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 4:13 pm

nitty wrote:
Parrots and Flowerhorns are the most common hybrids ever. I've owned both before doing any research. Not for me. I personally find it crazy that a male fish can't fertilize eggs. It's like they're all female.

99% of the males cant fertilize. My cousin has a mating pair where the male can fertilize.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 5:37 pm

Wow. That's a first. Flowerhorns or Parrots?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 5:57 pm

Parrots.
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 6:20 pm

The eggs actually hatched !?!?!?!????!!!
Did the fry live? I know it was over 200.
Mine use to spit out 100's of eggs every other month.
Week later, all eggs be gone.
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 6:49 pm

Flush them all down the drain. fighting
Back to top Go down
nitty
nitty

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 6:51 pm

LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

POLL ON HYBRIDS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: POLL ON HYBRIDS!   POLL ON HYBRIDS! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

POLL ON HYBRIDS!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next