UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Damsels

Go down 
    +3
    Terry
    lgsasquatch
    chicknefoot87
    7 posters
    Go to page : 1, 2  Next
    AuthorMessage
    chicknefoot87
    Sergeant 1st Class
    Sergeant 1st Class
    chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 1:29 pm

So I'm thinking about eventually starting up a SW tank with Damsels. From what i remember about my last SW tank they are super hardy and active so they are interesting to watch. They kind of remind me of chiclids because they are aggressive to simi aggressive and easy to care for. I figured i would get a 55 long with crushed coral and live rock with plenty of places for them to hide, a skimmer, and a Rena canister filter. I just wanted any advice I can get. Last time i tried this a got A LOT of red algae, does anyone know how to keep that down? Also does anyone know any other fish that can be kept with the Damsels? They will be the main fish in the tank but are pretty aggressive and I do want at least a couple other types of fish in there. I REALLY want a Maroon Clown in there if its possible, but I dont want to cause any trouble with the Damsels. What do you guys think?
    Back to top Go down
    lgsasquatch
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
    lgsasquatch

Favorite Fish: : All i can afford

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 1:47 pm

I do not see any reason why you could not put the maroon clown with the damsels. I have two False Perculas in my tank with a Niger trigger, a yellow tang, bi colored Blinny, chocolate chip starfish, 2 pj cardinals and a three striped damsel, 2 black and yellow tailed damsels, and 2 blue devil damsels. I am always looking for new fish to add As far as the red algae it is all over my tank i have to clean the front and the sides of the tank at least once a week. But it is good algae as well as the pink and purple algae. What type of damsels are you thinking of getting?

PS in your canister filter instead of using bio balls in it use live rock ruble. it will help keep the nitrates lower, and the bacteria living in the filter. The bio balls are bad about creating nitrate( my nitrate levels are higher then i would like due to the bio balls)
    Back to top Go down
    chicknefoot87
    Sergeant 1st Class
    Sergeant 1st Class
    chicknefoot87

Favorite Fish: : Goldfish and Koi! I have to represent for the serious goldfish hobbyist.

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 2:25 pm

Thanks for the tip on the filter I would have never thought of that. I read somewhere that I shouldn't keep clowns with Damsels, but I want more info on the subject. As far as the Damsels I was thinking of keeping

Yellowtails
    Damsels P-70444-yellowtail-damsel

Blue Sapphire
    Damsels P-39339-blue-saphire-damse

Ocellate Damselfish
    Damsels P-26174-ocellate-damsel

Sergeant Major Damsel
    Damsels Yhst-33477391359232_2083_65078646

Yellow Damsels
    Damsels P-70431-damsel

Green Chromis
    Damsels Green_chromis

3 stripe
    Damsels P-24001-Dascyllus-aruanus

Chromis vanderbilti
    Damsels Chromis-vanderbilti-5

As you can see I just want to keep it colorful and interesting. I want them to be active and show a lot of color. I will pretty much be starting out as a newbie in SW fish keeping so I need all the help i can get. If you know anything about Damsels I would appreciate the info. How many Damsels do you think should be in a 55g?
    Back to top Go down

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 3:13 pm

if you want damsels keep the lemon damsels (the yellow ones in the pic above) they keep their color and do not seem to get agressive with age and size, i have kept a pair of them in with my ocelleris clowns since day one. another thing is clowns are actually in the damsel family and you could seed your tank with a pair of clowns leaving out other damsels. the yellowtail blue damsels will get really agressive in time and i would avoid them as nice looking as they are.

as far as red algae/slime, go slow, use stability when you first start up the tank to aid in biological filtration starting and once the tank is cycled (about 7 days with stability) add no more than 1 or 2 fish a week so your biological filter can catch up.

as far as substrate choice, use pavestone pulverised limestone instead of aragonite as it is MUCH cheaper. also in a 55 gallon tank keep at least 2 maxi-jet 1200 powerheads in it to help aerate teh water and to up flow also it will keep you from having "dead spots" in your tank that will cause algae blooms and possibly cyano bacterial slime build up.
    Back to top Go down
    chicknefoot87
    Sergeant 1st Class
    Sergeant 1st Class
    chicknefoot87

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 3:29 pm

Thanks for the help raptor :)
    About the Yellowtails, I know they are aggressive, but aren't all Damsels? If i only have Damsels can I keep the Yellowtails? They look really cool :P

If not can you recommend other colorful fish that will be ok? Most importantly they must be HARDY! I'm new to this funny
    Back to top Go down

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 3:36 pm

if you only want to keep damsels go ahead with the yellowtails but in time they will even turn on each other (all of mine did). i have a pair of lemon damsels right now and i have seen no agression from them at all and they wtill have the same color now as they did when i got them over a year ago, my lemons are in with a foxface, regal tang, mated pair of ocelleris clowns, flame angel , and a couple of other things and i have no issues. i myself wouldnt have a blue damsel due to my previous experiences with them, they dont have the nickname blue devils for nothing lol!
    Back to top Go down
    Terry
    Captain
    Captain
    Terry

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 4:18 pm

chicknefoot87 pack them in tight like africans overstock them to reduce aggresion. I have done this and it works like a charm. Just keep up on the water changes.
    Back to top Go down
    chicknefoot87
    Sergeant 1st Class
    Sergeant 1st Class
    chicknefoot87

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 2:10 pm

Terry wrote:
    chicknefoot87 pack them in tight like africans overstock them to reduce aggresion. I have done this and it works like a charm. Just keep up on the water changes.

If i giev them a lot of rocks to swim in and hide and stock a lot of them it should be ok?
    Back to top Go down

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 9:10 pm

i dont know about this chicken personally chickenfoot although it is sound in theory. i myself never had luck keeping more htan 3 of any damsel except lemon damsels and green chromis damsels.
    Back to top Go down
    Terry
    Captain
    Captain
    Terry

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 9:33 pm

chicknefoot87 wrote:
    Terry wrote:

If i giev them a lot of rocks to swim in and hide and stock a lot of them it should be ok?
    It works quite well with africans. A lot of rock and a lot of fish.
    Back to top Go down
    chicknefoot87
    Sergeant 1st Class
    Sergeant 1st Class
    chicknefoot87

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 2:23 pm

Well I guess when I'm ready I'll just give it a shot and see how it goes. Good thing Damsels are cheap lol!
    Back to top Go down
    nitty
    nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
    110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
    56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 3:51 pm

Do not go with the Sergeant Major Damsel.

They are not attractive at all after reaching sub-adult.

They'll look like something you could catch in a pond.

Clowns are the best looking damsels and they have

a personality like no other fish. They also do great with

Blue/Green Chromis damsels.
    Back to top Go down

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 4:49 pm

the 2 damsels i woudl stay with are the clowns, and teh emon (yellow) they retain their color through life) i think maybe even the green chromis do but i have never kept them so i cannot speak from experieance on them
    Back to top Go down
    nitty
    nitty

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 5:53 pm

It just isn't a salt water tank without some kind of clown. That is my pair of False
    Perculas in the picture on the left side of the screen. They never leave their nem.
    Back to top Go down

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 6:09 pm

nitty wrote:
    It just isn't a salt water tank without some kind of clown. That is my pair of False
    Perculas in the picture on the left side of the screen. They never leave their nem.

i see a big red x
    LOL
    Back to top Go down
    nitty
    nitty

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 6:22 pm

CAN YOU SEE THIS ? ? ? ? ?

Damsels 101_0493
    Back to top Go down
    jexxica
    Private
    Private
    jexxica

Favorite Fish: : Green Mandrian Dragonet

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 7:17 pm

damsels are mean... at least in my experience. I have one, He is a blue damsel (well i say he but its probably a she because she is good size, about 2 1/2inches) and he bullies new fish in my 140G tank. I got him from a guy who had him in a 30G,when it turned homicidal
    Back to top Go down

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 7:38 pm

lemon damsels (yellow in op's original post, and green chromis are not agressive, i have 2 lemon damsels and neither of them are agressive)
    Back to top Go down

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 1:38 pm

my first fish is gonna be a blue green chromis
    Back to top Go down

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/22/2009, 10:43 pm

nitty i love your avatar
    Back to top Go down
    nitty
    nitty

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/23/2009, 12:10 am

tim wrote:
    nitty i love your avatar

ME TOO. I love every fish in Finding Nemo.
    Back to top Go down
    lgsasquatch
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
    Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
    lgsasquatch

Favorite Fish: : All i can afford

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/23/2009, 12:15 am

That is what my son wants me to do with my salt tank. Make a nemo themed tank.
    Back to top Go down
    nitty
    nitty

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/23/2009, 12:19 am

Clowns are cheap and very hardy.
    Back to top Go down
    chicknefoot87
    Sergeant 1st Class
    Sergeant 1st Class
    chicknefoot87

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/23/2009, 3:59 pm

Alrighty I think I'll go for the yellow's and some blue or green chromis with a pair of Maroon Clowns. Does anyone know how to tell male from female clowns? If i get a pair will they pair off and get mean?
    Back to top Go down
    philuponthepho
    Captain
    Captain
    philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime12/23/2009, 4:01 pm

nitty wrote:
    Clowns are cheap and very hardy.

Cheap? I think not! I cant find any for less thn $20!
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

Damsels Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Damsels   Damsels Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Damsels
    Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next