UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Empty
PostSubject: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/23/2011, 2:46 pm

so earlier today i did a decent size water change after selling this guy 5 juvi oscars i had in the same tank with a kenyi and a bumblebee. story goes like this...

i just took a shower probably 10 minutes ago and when i came out i noticed my fmeale kenyi is holding because her mouth looks swollen and shes become a litle more aggressive toward the other fish. theres only one problem though, i think she might have tried to spawn by herself. the yellow and black striped bee seems to have no interest even though shes hanging out on the same piece of slate for a while now.. i was wondering if it was possible for her to try mating by herself or if she wouldn't. i know the water change and removing the oscars was the key though..

thanks for any and all input!! :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/23/2011, 2:49 pm

oh yeah..extra info

shes about 3 inches long, maybe a litle more.
my bee is about 4 inches long.
the bee is a dark gold color with vertical bands that connect somewhat horizontally
the female kenyi is a light blue color with dark vertical stripes that dont connect.
theres plenty of hiding/mating areas for them
also i noticed when she dropped feces she almost tried to pick it up like it was an egg
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/23/2011, 7:34 pm

please respond, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/23/2011, 8:22 pm

Everything is a little pieced together here. What size tank? Fish? types? how many?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/23/2011, 8:42 pm

its a 30 gal tank with alot of caves etc. 3 cory cats, 1 bee, 1 kenyi, 1 small puffer who mostly stays out of the way up at the top, and today i added a baby bee which is about 1 inch, and an unknown (i think its a rusty) which is also about an inch, and also a small convict who is even tempered. this is the first time i've seen her spawn. the tank also has a few live plants. she is chasing everyone around and circling around on a piece of slate
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/23/2011, 8:47 pm

All africans are fertile and will cross breed. We do not promote cross breeding. That being said it is possible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/23/2011, 8:49 pm

yes, but would my kenyi try to breed by herself and them not be fertilized by the male? or would she just resist? i guess im asking if its possible the eggs arent fertilized even though shes holding?
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/23/2011, 8:54 pm

I have heard of mis-fertilization (male/female) and a female holding the eggs. I'm not sure if mouthbrooders lay them and picked them up by themselves. I know substrate spawners will do this(lay eggs and guard).
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/23/2011, 11:44 pm

Anything is possible when dealing with horny little africans.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/24/2011, 7:08 am

ok thanks guys. i guess i'll find out if there fertile if she spits fry in a week or 2
Back to top Go down
mark
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/24/2011, 9:55 am

I think they are both pseudotropheus and will crossbreed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/24/2011, 10:29 am

iknow they will definately cross breed because they are so similar and even have the same personality. i just hope those eggs are fertile! :)
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/24/2011, 10:31 am

If they are use them as feeders. Hybrids I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! 196631
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/24/2011, 10:37 am

yep, ore i'll just raise them and have a hybrid tank as an extrato keep me busy.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/24/2011, 10:45 am

Or use them as feeders and make a species only tank and raise awarness on keeping the species pure???? Sounds better to me! usafishbox
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/24/2011, 11:24 am

or let them grow to full size, then breed those and let them grow to full size and then i'll invite you guys over and we'll have an awesome fish fry ! theyre perfect fish stick size!! ;) lol
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/24/2011, 3:51 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
sassynurse2
sassynurse2

Favorite Fish: : 2 Clown Loaches...
Blue Dolphins 10.

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime12/25/2011, 11:45 am

poor fishy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!   I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I THINK MY KENYI IS FINALLY HOLDING!!!
Page 1 of 1