UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Cheap version of FX5?

Go down 
+2
Terry
Jstump
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

Favorite Fish: : Metriaclima sp. "Msobo" Magunga

Cheap version of FX5? Empty
PostSubject: Cheap version of FX5?   Cheap version of FX5? Icon_minitime9/16/2011, 7:59 pm

Has anyone used or heard of Odyssea CFS500 Canister Filter. It looks just like the fluval fx5 and rated for 500gph, but it only cost $59 on eBay. Just curious if anyone has tried it.
Back to top Go down
Terry
Captain
Captain
Terry

PostSubject: Re: Cheap version of FX5?   Cheap version of FX5? Icon_minitime9/16/2011, 8:47 pm

They are decent little filters. Only thing I don't like about them are the quick connects. They break quite easily.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Cheap version of FX5?   Cheap version of FX5? Icon_minitime9/16/2011, 8:50 pm

I have not used this filter but I defiantly looked into them when I was looking for new canisters.
Most of the reviews are very good and people are happy with the products performance. Oddly enough for its size it is only rated for aquariums up to 100 gallons (compared to the FX5 400 gallons).

It looks like it has slightly less area for filter media(11.50" x 14.50" x 17.00 compared to the 16" dia x 17" high on the FX5) but more then enough for most aquariums.

at 500 GPH it is a little more then half of the FX5's 900ish GPH rating.

So my personal take is that this is a good canister filter but by no means a sub/replacement for an FX5. Although if you look for other name brand filters that have closer specs to this one it will still be MUCH cheaper.

I found all my canisters off CL. People tend to sell them separately from their tanks for whatever reason (maximum profit is my guess) but I have got some great deals this way.

Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

Favorite Fish: : Metriaclima sp. "Msobo" Magunga

PostSubject: Re: Cheap version of FX5?   Cheap version of FX5? Icon_minitime9/16/2011, 8:55 pm

Yeah I figured it couldn't replace the fx5 but it looked similar and a whole lot cheaper I did notice it was only rated for 100 gallons, there are some others I've been looking into, just figured I'd see what other opinions on this one would be.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Cheap version of FX5?   Cheap version of FX5? Icon_minitime9/16/2011, 9:01 pm

Honestly I would not mind getting one of these as long as it fit my needs. I mean it does the job for sure. My only other concern would be, at that price how long would a motor/impeller/seals/plastic last. I will say that I have had FX5 impellers go bad but it was my own fault. (tiny gravel got sucked in and bent the impeller when it got lodged)

I have seen people use DIY canisters (home depot bucket/pot scrubbers and a pump) and it worked for everything they needed! Price is not the end all for these type of things.

If you do end up getting one let me know how you make out!
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: Cheap version of FX5?   Cheap version of FX5? Icon_minitime9/16/2011, 11:52 pm

Jd has one of these and it looks like a mini fx5. He said the hoses can be made better but hasn't had any problems. Send him a pm and ask.
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

Favorite Fish: : I dont knows ????

PostSubject: Re: Cheap version of FX5?   Cheap version of FX5? Icon_minitime9/17/2011, 12:14 am

Dont pm me I will not answer you !!!!!

Just kidding yea I use one of these i mean for the money you really cant beat it but as far as a fx5 there isn't a comparison to the quality it moves a lot of water but for my 75g i use this and a fluval 350 series so the odessa is used to just buff the water since its layers are all foam of different density and a pump at the bottom , if u do get this be careful not to break it seams kinda poorly designed. so as a main filter i would say maybe maybe and as a backup second filter it is a great buy.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: Cheap version of FX5?   Cheap version of FX5? Icon_minitime9/17/2011, 4:50 am

would this be a good filter for a 75g planted tank? my friend has a rena xp3 but I'm short on cash, rights. it's do i go to the tca auction, or skip it and try to low ball my friend and get the filter. i have a fluval 305 but it's beeing a poo poo head.
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

Favorite Fish: : I dont knows ????

PostSubject: Re: Cheap version of FX5?   Cheap version of FX5? Icon_minitime9/17/2011, 6:33 am

Yea it would be ok for a planted tank , if you are planning on having smaller fish in there and less of a need for heavy duty filtration on each stage "assuming the plants are going to be cleaning the water heavily already". This is just my opinion please dont do it on the fact that jd said so and if all your fish died blame me. If you would like I will take a video of it in action and being taken apart just let me know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap version of FX5?   Cheap version of FX5? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap version of FX5?
Page 1 of 1