UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL

Go down 
+3
jaiko1975
Ben
jon31072000
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jon31072000
Private First Class
Private First Class
jon31072000

Favorite Fish: : Hillstream Loach

Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL Empty
PostSubject: Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL   Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL Icon_minitime9/11/2011, 10:18 am

I saw an ad the other day for a Jack Dempsy and Pleco that had outgrown someones tank and that they were in desperate need of a new, bigger home for their fish. I answered, got called back and was informed she had these two fish that had just outgrown their "30" gallon tank. I told her I had a 75 South American Cichlid tank that was mostly empty and would make a great home for 2 fish that had just outgrown a "30" gallon tank. She agree'd and gave me directions and we set up a time that evening. I went out there and found these 2 fish were actually in a 20L tank and slightly larger then she had ever let on..... I mean DAYUMMM!!!! The pleco is at least 12 inches long and the Jack is all of 8-10" himself. Thank god I only had 3 fish in that 75 to start. I also ended up taking home a beautiful 3" Convict that was sold to her as some sort of "tetra" from the local pet store chain and she had it in with other tetras, so once she learned it would outgrow that tank and eat her other fish, she asked me to take it, and I agree'd. 3 amazing fish for about a 30 minute drive. Heres the important part, PICS... lol. Sorry only have the Jack so far.

Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL DSCN0121

Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL DSCN0119

Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL   Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL Icon_minitime9/11/2011, 10:29 am

That is definitely not a Jack Dempsey. That looks to be a Parachromis managuensis to me. Common name is Jaguar cichlid.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL   Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL Icon_minitime9/11/2011, 10:48 am

Hopefully u keep the jag alone there very aggressive.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL   Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL Icon_minitime9/11/2011, 11:16 am

I agree, that's not a JD.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL   Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL Icon_minitime9/11/2011, 11:27 am

Ben wrote:
That is definitely not a Jack Dempsey. That looks to be a Parachromis managuensis to me. Common name is Jaguar cichlid.

Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL 858205 http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/jaguar.php and

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Cichlid,%20Jaguar.htm for more info on them.

The side spotted barring matches. It is also much less saturated with colored scales compared to a jack.

Typically regarded as highly aggressive but that does not mean they can't be kept with other fish.

Back to top Go down
montemike72
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : oscars, green terrors

PostSubject: Re: Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL   Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL Icon_minitime9/20/2011, 2:29 pm

i find fish almost daily on craigslist, that the owners are usually moving, and do not want to , or have the ability to take them with them, as well as fish tanks, what i usually do is send them a short and sweet email, telling them of my various tank set up's, and that i would be happy to take their fish into my fish family, i usually get them for free, its either give them away or flush them, and the latter isn't a option for a true fish lover, as for the tanks i get, i never expect them to be in the configuration that i like for my tanks to be in, or clean for that matter, for instance, a guy contacted me today that has a 125g, that he purchased for 1600.00, lights/equip, top and stand, he wanted a 1000. for it, i told him, i could only afford 200 to 250, the kicker is he is moving, on friday, and has had no buyers to date, while i am not trying to "steal". anything, he is in a bad situation, but its what i could afford, so he agreed, i picked up the tank, it turned out to be a acrillic (sp) bow front, and a salt water set up, with a ir sump/chiller, the whole nine yards, the deals are out there, u just have to look....mike
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL   Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL Icon_minitime9/20/2011, 2:31 pm

montemike72 wrote:
i find fish almost daily on craigslist, that the owners are usually moving, and do not want to , or have the ability to take them with them, as well as fish tanks, what i usually do is send them a short and sweet email, telling them of my various tank set up's, and that i would be happy to take their fish into my fish family, i usually get them for free, its either give them away or flush them, and the latter isn't a option for a true fish lover, as for the tanks i get, i never expect them to be in the configuration that i like for my tanks to be in, or clean for that matter, for instance, a guy contacted me today that has a 125g, that he purchased for 1600.00, lights/equip, top and stand, he wanted a 1000. for it, i told him, i could only afford 200 to 250, the kicker is he is moving, on friday, and has had no buyers to date, while i am not trying to "steal". anything, he is in a bad situation, but its what i could afford, so he agreed, i picked up the tank, it turned out to be a acrillic (sp) bow front, and a salt water set up, with a ir sump/chiller, the whole nine yards, the deals are out there, u just have to look....mike

You are a wize one! usafishbox

Just don't do it to re sell everything and make money. Not good for the hobby.
Back to top Go down
montemike72
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : oscars, green terrors

PostSubject: Re: Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL   Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL Icon_minitime9/20/2011, 3:25 pm

yeah, i thought i'd add, that a few of the tanks , i have set up in relatives homes, that have my nephews and nieces in, that are all from 1 year old to 15, from those tanks, i have had requests from their families friends, to set up community type tanks, and at this point i am at a crossroads, as to do it on a at cost, price, or since my 401k tanked, as a profit generator, hey the sole reason i have tanks today is because my parents gave me a 20g for xmas in the 4th grade, ...mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL   Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Free Jack Dempsy I got off CL
Page 1 of 1