UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

New Marine Corral

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
steamhorse
Private
Private
steamhorse

Favorite Fish: : I am a big fan of Seahorses and Cichlids

New Marine Corral Empty
PostSubject: New Marine Corral   New Marine Corral Icon_minitime9/9/2011, 10:48 am

So here's a glimpse of the new tank set up. Getting ready for the cycling :) I am open to any suggestions

New Marine Corral 00712
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

New Marine Corral Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Marine Corral   New Marine Corral Icon_minitime9/9/2011, 11:05 am

more live rock not only will it look better it will help with your cycle and Bio filtration etc. what are the dimension of the tank? are you planning on getting ponies?
Back to top Go down
steamhorse
Private
Private
steamhorse

New Marine Corral Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Marine Corral   New Marine Corral Icon_minitime9/9/2011, 12:58 pm

You know, it's funny...I've been toying with live rock cycling...in fact I intended to do so, but the more research I did, the more I was leaning towards ammonia cycling. I've never tried it, but I understand the general principles behind the feeding of ammonia. I just want to avoid the unnecessary hitch-hikers on the rock. I had used LR in my FO tank, and had no issues, but definitely had bristle worms which can be a real problem for seahorses.(I know I could hypersalinate, but still, it worries me) I struggled a lot with how to set this tank up to provide the best possible environment for them and thought the more artificial, the less chance of introducing a harmful invader. My tank dimensions are 20x18x20 and it's a 27g Marineland cube. I have a SB of 1.5 inches. For filtration I am using a Hagen Aquaclear 50, which once the horses are introduced, will run on the lowest flow setting, and a Power Sweep 200, also on the lowest setting to give the surface of the tank some disturbance for more oxygenation. The lighting system is a Nova Extreme T5 that I modified to fit snug on the glass surface. I'm still regulating the tank temp, ideally I think 74-75 degrees should do it. My intent is to also have a CUC of a couple peppermint shrimp and some small hermits. I thought about turning the Aquaclear into a nano refugium with some LR and Chaeto, but was still undecided about that too. There is no skimmer yet to speak of. I've read mixed reviews for a tank the size I have and besides the CUC, I only will have two seahorses. I know that the more filtration the better and this is the skimmer I've been looking at purchasing https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/16/84/92/83/hydor-13.jpg, a Hydor Koralia Nano/Slim-Skim Internal Protein Skimmer. I also intend to have some macro planted in the tank soon. I like live plants in the tank. So that's my story, please advise, comment, suggest :) I am very open to suggestions. And thanks!
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

New Marine Corral Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Marine Corral   New Marine Corral Icon_minitime9/9/2011, 2:14 pm

I can't see the link it says it's broken? but I have yet to buy anything from Hydor that I didn't like. since you are open to suggestions most Sea horses do better in a lower temps of course depending on which you plan to keep, for me I would never sacrifice the benefits of live rock because of hitchhikers. my tank has been marinating for 7 months with 70+ pounds of live rock and live sand. I'm just now feeling like I'm ready to add ponies plus I've been waiting for the temps to cool before I order"shipping". the height for ponies is much more important, they need vertical swimming room I'm sure you know that:) most cuc's are fine as in snails like Nassarius Vibex ,turbo's etc..however beware of crabs in general hermits included they are scavengers with claws and will compete for food. I often see my hermits and crabs trying to swipe at my Tangs as they swim by that wouldn't be good in the case of slow moving Seahorses with very thin skin. for my build I am trying to make an environment that's as natural to the Seahorses as possible. something I think about all the time is it's very rare for someone to want a specimen only tank so I have gone to great lengths to find and make sure the tank mates I choose are pony friendly on a scale of 1-10 1 being least likely to cause harm I refuse to go over a 2 that's corals included. Welcome to the forum and I think it's awesome to have someone here that is as into ponies as I am:)
Back to top Go down
steamhorse
Private
Private
steamhorse

New Marine Corral Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Marine Corral   New Marine Corral Icon_minitime9/9/2011, 3:32 pm

Thanks for the welcome! :) I'm looking to get a pair of Barbouri's for the tank once it's ready to go... I too intend to let the tank marine-ate (lol) for at least a few months before the introduction of the horses. I was reading about your "adventure" earlier!! So exciting and best of luck for healthy horses at your door. The long duration of your preparedness will surely pay off :). And I will contemplate the LR cycling as well. I do want what would be best for the dynamic of the tank itself, but I still am weary... maybe I'll try the "table shrimp" method instead. Either way, I need to start soon if I am to get those ponies by the New Year! And if you think of anything else, please, by all means, share!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Marine Corral Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Marine Corral   New Marine Corral Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Marine Corral
Page 1 of 1