UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!

Go down 
+7
KingBichir
Yeti
Kasshan
strikingthematch
sunkenmetal
Ben
Taylor
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Taylor
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Taylor

Favorite Fish: : Angels

What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Empty
PostSubject: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime8/14/2011, 4:01 pm

He is amazing, he has this BRIGHT blue patch on each side of his mouth, amazing blue/red dots on the tips of his fins. I have NO clue what he is! Haha, I have him in a 55 long with my other cichlids.

Here are some bad quality screen shots of the video I took of him, please help! :D

What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icppba
What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! 122c5km
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime8/14/2011, 4:19 pm

That would be a jack dempsey and it is a Central American Cichlid.
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime8/14/2011, 4:27 pm

Keep an eye on that JD they can be very aggressive.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime8/14/2011, 5:23 pm

Looks like a blue gene Jack. What size is it? When they get over 2ish inches aggression normally starts to climb and it becomes a killing machine. Watching a Jack take on something 3-4 times its size and fully willing to fight to the death is something else... affraid
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime8/15/2011, 12:20 am

i would not be worried if the Jack Dempsey(the fish you described) is being raised with large african cichlids. since it grew up with them it is accustomed to them. think of raising rottweiler dogs with pitbulls. obviously it can done if you start young and small.

btw lol good looking Jack! i wish i could get a 3rd tank and have a pet SA cichlid :(
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime8/15/2011, 12:41 am

Nice looking fish, especially for it's age/size, and it's got some nice colour already.

Grins

Guess you will now be getting another tank and setting up a SA Cichlids Aquarium... been there done that!
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime8/15/2011, 9:38 am

It definitively is a jd, he should be fine. I have sa cichlids in my mixed African tank with no problems. Just keep an eye on him.
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime8/15/2011, 9:48 am

I think the mix is ok, but do some homework, the water conditions needed by the two different types of fish is different, the food required is different. However the good news is "Most" fish are adaptable... just becareful. While smaller the Africans will hold their own but as the JD starts to out grow them becareful. They should be ok unless you add a female they all heck could break loose!
JB
Back to top Go down
sunkenmetal
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
sunkenmetal

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime8/15/2011, 11:10 am

JDs are very hardy fish. They will live and breed in high PH water. Just dont put a female JD in there with him LOL they get rough lol.
Back to top Go down
Jd.
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Jd.

Favorite Fish: : I dont knows ????

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime8/15/2011, 11:11 am

Well good thing is I am thinking its a female so its going to be a much smaller fish as it would be if it was a male : )

What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! IMG_0012

That is what a male would look like : )

What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! IMG_0118

That is a girly
Back to top Go down
Taylor
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Taylor

Favorite Fish: : Angels

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime8/15/2011, 11:27 am

Thank you all SO much for your help!<3
Im so pleased with 'her' color (:

She has been doing well with the tank mates, but I will keep an eye out!

I may end up selling her if she doesn't get along with them in the future though!
Back to top Go down
KingBichir
Admin
Admin
KingBichir

Favorite Fish: : all of them

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime8/15/2011, 12:36 pm

That's what I would do or you could setup a SA tank. My next tank is either going to be blackwater or saltwater
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime12/19/2011, 8:04 am

it looks like an electric blue jd. it has awesome colors
Back to top Go down
Flippercon
Flippercon

Favorite Fish: : Electric Blue Rocio Octofasciata

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime12/19/2011, 8:25 am

That would be a Female Jack Dempsey. Very nice color in her! yes
Back to top Go down
sassynurse2
sassynurse2

Favorite Fish: : 2 Clown Loaches...
Blue Dolphins 10.

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime12/19/2011, 9:10 am

What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! 858205
Flippercon wrote:
That would be a Female Jack Dempsey. Very nice color in her! yes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!   What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What type of cichlid is this? Just bought from a local breeder!
Page 1 of 1