UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

how to catch a pleco?

Go down 
+6
flukekiller
CajunGator
Holey Rock of Texas
Yeti
ornate12
fishface30
10 posters
AuthorMessage
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

how to catch a pleco? Empty
PostSubject: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime6/14/2011, 9:09 pm

I'd like to net my 6" common pleco(aka Big Pooper) and trade it in for a bristlenose pleco. Here's the problem: it's in a heavily planted tank! To net this pleco would mean to practically destroy the plants.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to catch a pleco without tearing up the tank? a trap?

ORRRRRRR... would a full sized BN be just as big a pooper and wouldn't matter?

Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime6/14/2011, 10:46 pm

I wouldn't use a net. Easier to use your hand.
Back to top Go down
Yeti
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, Mbuna & Haps/Peacocks
Bitten by the saltbug

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime6/15/2011, 2:39 am

Have you tried to use your hand to steer him into a large glass, and then cover the glass with your hand and lift him out?
Has worked for me in the past.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime6/15/2011, 3:22 pm

do you feed the guy any kind of food?
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime6/15/2011, 3:27 pm

put a piece of PVC in tank... one end close... i have catched many that way!
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime6/15/2011, 9:00 pm

thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to try them out when I feel like wrestling with it!

So I take it that the common pleco should come out and make way for a BN? No one's said NOT to take the common pleco out LOL
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime6/16/2011, 12:10 am

yeah im not a fan of common plecos bc of thier size. go with a BN.
Back to top Go down
flukekiller
Private First Class
Private First Class

Favorite Fish: : Discus

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime6/16/2011, 7:32 am

IMO the best way to catch a pleco is at night when you feed. Drop a zuccini disc or any vegetable wait for him to eat and scoop him up.. i would not use a net as you could hurt him badly. alternatively you could use pvc or a clear glass and put the veg in there ,when he goes to eat cover the open end and there u go.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime6/16/2011, 7:26 pm

I've always just put a large clear container at one end and shooed him in with my hand. They're pretty prone to the power of suggestion and will usually swim right in with gentle waving. If he's really big watch out for the tail. I had an 18 incher in a pond that I didn't know was there. Startled him and he sandpapered my arm for me. Their fins have tough sharp rays which is why you don't want to net(he'll get stuck and hurt himself trying to get out). But, if you try to grab him don't squeeze the fins or you could get a nasty poke.
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime6/16/2011, 9:38 pm

Yikes!

yeah I'm not sure about using hands to scoop it up. It just has so many other places to flee and hide instead of a glass or a tube.

for reference, my tank was #5 on the freshwater pic of the month. that's the setup that Big Pooper can tear up should it decide to flail about in a panic.
Back to top Go down
Jeepluv77
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Jeepluv77

Favorite Fish: : Species I've kept: Freshwater- Dwarf puffers and clown loaches. Saltwater- Volitans and Snowflake Moray

Species I'd love to keep one day- Freshwater- Rays. Saltwater- Bamboo/Cat Sharks

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime6/16/2011, 10:11 pm

You'd be shocked at how calm some of the plecos can be. I've had some where, as long as they see me approaching, they won't move. At all. I have had to literally tap them on the sides, as if saying "excuse me" to get them to move. They're tough and they know it. That's not to say all are that easy going but a lot are. They'll just flit to another part of the tank. That's why I like using a clear container. They don't even notice it there and swim right in looking for a quieter spot. The biggie is making sure the opening is covered before you move to pick it up. If you have a really cool LFS there you may be able to swing by and get them to demonstate how to do it. I learned it while working at an LFS. However, if you chose that route make sure the person showing you has been there awhile and actually knows what they're doing. Otherwise, you could get a demonstration on how to get it to fling itself wildly around the tank in a full out panic before shooting out of the water and on to the floor.

Back to top Go down
grad2k1rulz
Private First Class
Private First Class
grad2k1rulz

Favorite Fish: : I'm finicky and picky so it varies and changes regularly.

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime7/14/2011, 9:20 pm

Don't know if your still having issues but I find the best way to catch em is put some log in the tank and wait for them to latch on. I just lift it out and they come with it! (a special log from a fish store of course, not the back yard by any means)
Back to top Go down
jnjholding
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime7/25/2011, 6:12 pm

fishface30 wrote:
Yikes!

yeah I'm not sure about using hands to scoop it up. It just has so many other places to flee and hide instead of a glass or a tube.

for reference, my tank was #5 on the freshwater pic of the month. that's the setup that Big Pooper can tear up should it decide to flail about in a panic.

The hand really is one of the best way. You have to consider that their pectoral fins are spiky, they almost always stab the net, and force you to have to try not to break it's fin, while separating it from the net.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime7/25/2011, 7:40 pm

Hands are the best!!

yes
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime7/27/2011, 11:02 pm

I catch mine by hand all the time. It's usually the easiest way and avoids them getting tangled in the net.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to catch a pleco?   how to catch a pleco? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to catch a pleco?
Page 1 of 1