UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ellkay
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : No favorites! I love them all!

Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)! Empty
PostSubject: Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)!   Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)! Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 10:25 pm

Hello,

I went to feed my fish and frog their bloodworms, and I noticed a trumpet snail on top of the castle decoration. I have NO idea how I could have gotten it, since I haven't bought any new fish, frogs, plants, gravel, etc., NOTHING! So how could I have possibly gotten a trumpet snail in my tank? I know they multiply like rabbits, so I no doubt have more that I haven't seen yet.

Will someone please tell me how this is possible? Again, NOTHING new in my tank! NOTHING!

Please help me solve this mystery!

Thanks!
ellkay
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)!   Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)! Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 10:41 pm

Welcome to the box!!!

Do you only have one tank? If you have more then one do you use the same equipment to clean in the other tanks?

Another thing to think about is that these sails are often not out during the day and can go unnoticed for a very long time until their numbers get higher. With that in mind you could have got them months ago and just not noticed a little one.
When I first got sails in my planted tank it was from a plant I added and it took nearly 3 months before I saw my first snail then after that I noticed more of them but in between that time not a one...
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)!   Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)! Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 10:47 pm

Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)! 858205

Trumpet snails spend a lot of time under the substrate so they sometimes take quite awhile to notice.
Back to top Go down
ellkay
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : No favorites! I love them all!

PostSubject: Re: Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)!   Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)! Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 10:57 pm

I do have two tanks. But again, I haven't bought anything new in eons, except for one new long finned tetra a few months ago. But this fish is not the tank that had the snail. Other than the fish, I haven't bought anything new whatsoever. So they had to come from something, right?

I have a question though. Since these things are extremely hard to kill, could they have gotten into the frozen blood worms, and then "came to life" when it hit the warm water? I know that's a huge long shot, but I remember reading in a forum where a person emptied their tank, let it sit to "air out" for over 2 weeks, then refilled it, and they thought that would fix the problem. But after they refilled it with NEW water, they discovered more trumpet snails! So these suckers seem to live through anything! That is the ONLY thing I can think of where they came from...the blood worms!

I know they can lay dormant in the gravel, etc., but again, they had to have come from something first, and the bloodworms are the only thing that's going in my tanks!

Thanks for your responses!
ellkay
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)!   Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trumpet snails!! HOW did I get "it" (them?)!
Page 1 of 1