UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Newly aquired aquarium

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

Favorite Fish: : Metriaclima sp. "Msobo" Magunga

Newly aquired aquarium Empty
PostSubject: Newly aquired aquarium   Newly aquired aquarium Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 3:22 pm

I just bought a used 46 gallon bowfront aquarium to add to my new hobby of cichlids! There are a couple things I was wondering about. What's the best way to clean out a tank. The previous owners had turtles in it and the tank is pretty smelly. It also has some algae on the silicone. Also, does anyone know where to get a glass lid for it. It came with one but it has a crack.
Back to top Go down
Kasshan
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Kasshan

Favorite Fish: : Kribensis

PostSubject: Re: Newly aquired aquarium   Newly aquired aquarium Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 4:39 pm

use pure distilled vinegar and a non abrasive sponge or an aquarium scrubber if you hv one. always be careful when scrubbing glass, make sure there are no sand or hard particles that can get in between your scrubber and glass. Once you get a scratch in glass, you can never get that scratch out again. as for glass lids, go to homedepot/lowes and have them cut you a custom sized piece. after all that just hose out the grime and the vinegar with a hose.
Back to top Go down
BobV
Sergeant
Sergeant
BobV

Favorite Fish: : african cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Newly aquired aquarium   Newly aquired aquarium Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 5:15 pm

Good info, Kasshan. I might add, ask for double strength 1/8" glass. If Lowe's or Home Depot doesn't do it, a local glass company will. They will also smooth out the edges for you. Take good measurements allowing room for filter, and wires for heaters etc. Personally, I like the one piece idea on each side of my 55s and other tanks with the reinforcement strip in the middle. The fishstore bought hinged lids, reduce the light. The hinge is 1" wide by 48" long, thereby depriving the tank of 48 square inches of available light produced by the tank lights.
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Newly aquired aquarium   Newly aquired aquarium Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 5:46 pm

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought about getting one made. On cleaning the tank, would I need to dilute the vinegar at all or just use it straight?
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Newly aquired aquarium   Newly aquired aquarium Icon_minitime5/29/2011, 6:23 pm

use the vineagar straight. I've ordered a glass hinged top, then took the piece that would be the curved side and took it to a glass/mirror shop with a paper pattern to show the curve and dimensions to have them cut the piece to shape and size, as well as round out the cut edges.
Back to top Go down
Jstump
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: Newly aquired aquarium   Newly aquired aquarium Icon_minitime5/30/2011, 9:07 am

I might try that. The lid works for now, so I need to start cleaning it out and get some fish in it! I thought I would only have one cichlid tank, but one isn't enough!
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Newly aquired aquarium   Newly aquired aquarium Icon_minitime5/30/2011, 10:24 am

multitank syndrome got to you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newly aquired aquarium   Newly aquired aquarium Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newly aquired aquarium
Page 1 of 1