UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

DIY moonlights (update)

Go down 
+3
CDT
startingover
Fish_Love
7 posters
AuthorMessage

DIY moonlights (update) Empty
PostSubject: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime10/8/2009, 8:15 pm

cant help you here

Last edited by lordraptor1 on 3/3/2010, 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime10/8/2009, 10:52 pm

feel free to post comments or questions, and i will do my best to answer them.
Back to top Go down
Fish_Love
Sergeant
Sergeant
Fish_Love

Favorite Fish: : German Red Peacock

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime10/9/2009, 8:04 am

Well done
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime10/9/2009, 11:53 pm

i am considering getting another psu or 2 and making a set or 2 to sell, only problem is the psu's are more expensive than i thought maybe that is why led moonlight kits cost so much (40.00 to 60.00 at slome online e-tailers lol! )
Back to top Go down
startingover
Sergeant
Sergeant
startingover

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime10/10/2009, 11:09 am

lol i know this is kinda strang but would you make one of theses for me and sell it to me?? ive tried like 4 times to make this and failed ery time
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime10/10/2009, 11:57 am

sure, just send me a pm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime10/15/2009, 10:30 pm

well i made a change to my moonlights after seeing some on youtube. i am now using an 8 led config with a nokia 3 to 7 volt psu (more voltage than on other setup) and attached is an image taken with them running and it is actually brighter in person than in the pic (so bright that i get a shimmer effect right now under my T5 ho light when they are on however when i can finally replace my bulbs this may change)

DIY moonlights (update) 8_led_10

also after seeing some of them on youtube i see they are blue crazy , anyway what i plan is to soome get some blue cellophane and make "lenses" for the leds so they are blue, however due to my tase i will experiment with a mixture of blue and white for different look and lighting (maybe they will all end up blue but you never know).

what i plan on doing with the 4 bulb setup is chaning the psu for something with more voltage to see if it is brighter. i will most likely end up selling it off (of course mounting can be included for additional cost as it will require some more money being spent and a psu is going to cost enough cash as it is (a 4.5 volt which is what it has now is 23.00 from rat shack and the led's are kinda dim)
Back to top Go down
CDT
Private
Private

Favorite Fish: : Mainly reef dwellers: all fishes, corals, invertebrates , sponges, and anything else that maybe residing in or around the reef.

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime11/4/2009, 8:56 pm

I was woundering if you could possibly connect it to a dimmer switch to control the amount of light you want.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime11/4/2009, 9:01 pm

CDT wrote:
I was woundering if you could possible connect it to a dimmer switch to control the amount of light you want.

i am sure you could, i am sure you could also use a smaller psu, or you could use led's that have a lower light intensity. i used white leds from some halloween decore where as most sotre bought led reef lighting uses blue led's. the leds on my tank are bright for a reason, and they are not really all that bright when finished. you can use less led's if you want to but i wanted full tank coverage for my night time lighting and i wanted the light to penetrate to the bottom of the tank (the mon at night will penetrate more than the depth of my tank, i woudl venture to say that real moonlight will penetrate 32"+ in depth. but to answer your question i would say sure it is possible but not necessary when you can simply use less bulbs, or get a lower voltage psu (saving some buck with lower voltage psu)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime11/4/2009, 9:03 pm

i also forgot to add than each of my leds has an individual chrome plated plastic reflector which focuses the light down into the tank led's without reflectors may not be as bright
Back to top Go down
Incaico
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Fronts

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 9:48 pm

Nice post. I'll have to try this.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 10:09 pm

Damn those lights look badass....I would def put this in my sw tank that i havent started yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 10:20 pm

wow cant believe i didnt see this before. definately gonna be doing this when i get a new stand and hood.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 10:20 pm

Hell yeah! SO many projects to do in two weeks b4 school LOL
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime12/22/2009, 12:18 pm

I still need some made lol! .......no seriously
Back to top Go down
Miller09
Private First Class
Private First Class
Miller09

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime12/28/2009, 11:21 am

So I have found some really nice LED lights for my salt water reef tank. they are waterproof which it alot better. the only thing you need to get is a 12V plug for them and thats it. the best part is they are only 8.99 + shipping. I have heard of people useing LED's from this site and thought i would share it with everyone else.I am going to add this one to my tank shortly ( when the wife lets me go shopping for the tank $$$ lol. hope you all find this usefull.

Miller09

LINK: http://xoxide.com/flexible-waterproof-led-blue.html
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime12/28/2009, 9:10 pm

Good find
Back to top Go down
Incaico
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Fronts

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime12/28/2009, 10:43 pm

very interesting.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime12/28/2009, 11:29 pm

Miller09 wrote:
So I have found some really nice LED lights for my salt water reef tank. they are waterproof which it alot better. the only thing you need to get is a 12V plug for them and thats it. the best part is they are only 8.99 + shipping. I have heard of people useing LED's from this site and thought i would share it with everyone else.I am going to add this one to my tank shortly ( when the wife lets me go shopping for the tank $$$ lol. hope you all find this usefull.

Miller09

LINK: http://xoxide.com/flexible-waterproof-led-blue.html

let us know how the plug works out on the lights.
Back to top Go down
cichlid mania
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime12/29/2009, 5:57 am

DIY moonlights (update) 858205
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime12/29/2009, 4:49 pm

nice find, but i would look to see what the k rating of the led's are, and also look to see how deep they penetrate. depth penetration and k rating are the main things to look for in led's you dont want ones that are really dim.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY moonlights (update)   DIY moonlights (update) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DIY moonlights (update)
Page 1 of 1