UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Please HELP me

Go down 
+12
CajunGator
Okori
SchutzhundJunkie
strikingthematch
jake
hello2196
lifeisgood
Norri
williemcd
fishface30
KMX
Pixie-dust
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pixie-dust
Private
Private
Pixie-dust

Favorite Fish: : Fancy Goldfish- Panda

Please HELP me  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/24/2011, 12:06 am

First topic message reminder :

I guess this is the place I need to post my problem regarding my 80 gallon fancy goldfish
tank. The tank was originally a salt water tank that an old boyfriend made me purchase
for him. He set up the tank and took care of it while we were dating. After we broke up
I was NOT going to just give him the tank that I spent A LOT of $$$$$$$$ on so I kept it.
I had watched him long enough to know how to take care of it and I did for about 15 years!
I had to convert it to a fresh water tank because after 15 years I became allergic to the water. Every time I would put my hand in the tank, I would break out with very itchy, red bumps on my arm, that would last for 1-2 weeks! I have always LOVED goldfish so I decided to make it a fancy goldfish tank. That was about 3 years ago when I converted
over to it. The only thing I kept of the original set up was the acrylic tank. I purchased a new stand and hood, a RENA xP3 filter, a UV light, heater, medium sized, colored gravel, bubble wand and air pump, different sized and colored glass rocks and plastic plants for decorations, and mounted lights.
I do 30 gallon water changes every 1-2 weeks and clean the filter every month. I test the water and everything is always in the " good zones " but I constantly lose fish! I have had
break outs of Dropsy, anchor worms, costia, fungus infections, and MANY unexplained deaths! I am looking into purchasing a chiller for my tank now because the temp fluxuates
between 72- 78 depending on how hot or cold the weather is. I know that goldfish prefer below 70. I just don't know what the hell is going on! Why can't I keep any of my goldfish alive! The " good " snail I have in the tank is healthy but the tank is cursed for goldfish! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! If anyone lives in So Cal, and knows a lot about goldfish, I would REALLY appreciate someone looking at my tank to see what I am doing wrong!
Half my goldfish stay/float at the top of the water( NOT up-side-down or on it's side), one fish is losing it's color in patches, ( it's not a fungus because it is smooth) another, that I just noticed today, has tiny white bumps grouped together on it's cheek and another seems to have a slightly reddish patch on it's head. I am currently treating the tank with an anti-biotic again. I have spent a fortune on fish meds! crazy Buy stock in fish meds, you will make alot of money from just me! funny
Well, thanks for listening/reading!
Take care
Tamara
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/26/2011, 7:52 pm

Pixie-dust wrote:
Ray ( Lifeisgood )
Thanks for the video. I love your tank! I want happy, healthy fish like you have.
I know what problem I have with my tank. I have to many fish and not enough
filtration. I NEED to add a wet/dry system and a chiller!

Is there anyone local who can help me purchase these things and help me set
them up? H E L P !!

I wouldn't jump straight to needing more filtration although is makes sense. If you are testing your water for ammonia, Nitrite at the very least you will know if your filtration is currently enough. No need to jump into an expensive venture if you don't have to. If those readings are both a 0 and stay that way in combination with your current cleaning schedule I would feel safe in saying filtration is not the problem. On the other hand if they are above 0 steadily and or spike often then most certainly that is where your problem sits.
Back to top Go down
Pixie-dust
Private
Private
Pixie-dust

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/26/2011, 8:21 pm

It is hard to tell if I have changes with my water quality because I only use
the 5 in 1 test strips. I think they show larger changes vs fluctuations.
After reading everyones responces, it sounds like wet/dry is the BEST filtration.
I haven't been very successful with what I currently have on my tank so I
need to find and use what will work. It is heart breaking every time a lose
another fish and I am sad to say that in 3 years of having this tank, I have lost
a lot of fish. cry I feel like a killer of goldfish rather than a lover!
Sometimes a few months will go by without any problems, then BAM another
loss! I have had acouple times where I will find a dead fish floating
in the morning but the day before it was swimming around a seemed
completely healthy.
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/26/2011, 8:27 pm

If I can suggest just one thing... before you go out and spend lots of money on something that may not be the problem because it seems like a good idea why not spend a little on even the API liquid test kits and get a good reading of what's going on in your tank.
I would try some of the suggestion people left here that involve spending little to no money long before a wild shot of adding a wet/dry system and then having to go through the trouble of setting that up. Worst of all if that does not fix your problem you will be left even further in the hole. There must be a reason for such a high fish loss and people here presented you with some logical steps to figure out what it might be. I don't like to $$$ at problems
Back to top Go down
SchutzhundJunkie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
SchutzhundJunkie

Favorite Fish: : I really love the big boys, but I have a place in my heart for all fish. I guess my current favorite is my Chocolate (turning Orange) Oranda.

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/27/2011, 12:23 am

I have Fancy Goldfish.... They eat alot so they poop a lot. I get offended when people say they are dirty- only if you don't care for them well. You wouldn't believe how many dirty fish tanks I have seen that don't have any glodfish... LOL!

I don't think you can over filter the water, but you can starve them easily. How many and how large are they? Also what are you feeding? They do not have stomachs only intestines- therefor they are always hungry. My guys are only in a 55 with a emporer 400, and shoddy petsmart filter along with a giant sponge and a powerhead. Most breeders won't recomend that much current for goldfish, but the higher current keeps more water going through the filters.... In my mind anyway and my fish are thriving.

Years ago I tried and could never keep these guys alive. They always died. My guys now eat 2-3 times per day several different foods. High quality flakes, 3 different pellets, algae wafers, shrimp pellets and frozen food 1-2 per week. Lots of people recomend soaking the pellets before feeding. I always forget, but I use the small sinking pellets the most.

I do weekly water changes and if I feed them fresh fruit (they love it btw) I throw in another water change or do it early since the water will get cloudy. My guys have tripled their size since November. I purchased 3 fish and expected to loose 1-2 but then my neighbor decided I needed more as a Christmas gift so she got me 4 more. They have been thriving. One had some gas/constipation but I just added some dissolved epsoms salts to the tank (as recomended on the goldfish baord) and he was fine.

As for all the trouble with the water. I just use tap water. I fill my buckets and poor in the dechlorinator as it fills- stiring once or twice. I might let it set for 5 minutes but never too long. I do about 30% every week and once in awhile I will do 50%.

I wanted to remind you they do need a little aquarium salt like other tropicals. I have a large feather fin catfish, a fast growing chinese algae eater (I suspect is really a cichlid) a black shark (new) and 3 cory cats as well as some ghost shrimp and ramhorn snails as my clean up crew. The tank always looks good and everyone is growing and healthy. My tank is not heated- house is kept at 70' tank says 68'. Oh and my tank has real plants in it as well as driftwood (the wood is new still leaching tanis).

Good luck,

Julie Fish Jumping
Back to top Go down
Okori
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/28/2011, 11:54 pm

As the new kid on the block, perhaps this wont mean too much, but as someone who has kept all manner of fancy goldfish for over ten years, I hope to help you. First ..... take a deep breath......... exhale...... good? Okay. You'll be just fine, and no one thinks you're a goldfish killer. Please HELP me  - Page 2 393849

Goldfish are pigs. Anyone who will tell you otherwise is a liar or in denial. They create more ammonia and waste than any other fish out there, it's just how they are. BUT! They really aren't all that hard to take care of either.

MEDICINE: It sounds like everyone else has already addressed the one thing I would point out first: you're over-medicating your water. It's nothing to be upset about, but like a new mother over her child, you're smothering them with good intentions. Once your tank is cycled, you can more or less throw a goldfish in and (in my experience) as long as you keep your temperature under 85 and the water "clean", they don't stress too much.

SALT: As other members mentioned, salt is used as a medicine, but goldies DO love it. However, if you give them salt too often and they build up an "immunity" to it, it becomes ineffective if needed for treatment later. I have a 55g and I only add a tablespoon of aquarium salt after each 30% water change to help relieve stress. It's just something you'll have to test for yourself.

STOCKING: There is a common saying amongst goldfish keepers "10 gallons of water to every inch of fish." Which SOUNDS good in theory, but really, who is going to keep a 100 gallon aquarium for two five inch fish? Balance is the key to goldfish. If you're going to have a TON of fish in your aquarium, you're going to deal with more frequent water changes. If you have one itty bitty fishy in a huge tank, he's going to grow like a bad weed. Goldfish are capacity fish. The more space you give them, the bigger they grow.

SPECIES: The second major question is, despite your having an 80g tank, what KIND of fancy goldfish are you keeping? Different breeds have different needs. For instance, Ranchu and Pearlscale are "compact" body fish, who get swim bladder issues more easily than a telescope or an oranda, so if you're feeding them a pellet food, it's best to soak the food for a minute or two to allow the food to sink, so your fishies aren't taking in huge mouthful's of air and getting bubbles in their tummies. *Note* depending on the size of your goldfish, an easy remedy to swim bladder problems is to pop a "shelled" frozen pea in their mouths. They take them pretty easily (whole or halved) and this helps clear out their digestive tracts. Also, these fish prefer to have less water current than a sleek bodied comet or shubunkin, and can become stressed if the current is too strong.

FOOD: Unless you're planning to show your fish or breed them professionally, there are plenty of readily avalible foods out there. Goldfish will eat just about anything--And I do mean ANYTHING-- and a diverse diet IS good for them, but is it good for you? Goldfish can easily live off flake foods, but they lack many of the nutrients that fishies need to look pretty. I highly recommend the Hikari brand goldfish foods, as they are catered to each type of goldfish to promote growth and full of carotene to enrich their coloration, and it's a heck of alot easier (And less smelly) than making your own homemade jelly food. Frozen Blood worms are cheap and easy to store, and a good treat that usually gets eaten quickly. Freeze dried brine shrimp are also a favorite, but both of these foods are messy and will quickly foul up a tank if not cleaned up. A fun treat for your goldfish could be a slice of banana (but remove the seeds) or a slice of peeled cucumber (no seeds). Mine have always loved them.

Bottomless pits: Another thing to keep in mind is that goldfish will eat themselves to death. Literally. They have no sense of when to stop. The more you feed them, the more waste they produce, and the more bacteria the food in the water will produce, thus increasing water changes. Young goldfish (six months to a year/1inch to 3 inches) should be fed up to 3 times a day ONLY if you're trying to bulk them up. Otherwise, a once a day feeding is sufficent, and never feed them until they're "full". They are never full, and will always give you the "I'm ever so hungry could I please have a bit more" look. Don't be a succker.

Overall (and to get off my soapbox) You sound like you're doing fine. You've got good filteration going in your tank which is important. Just be careful with how much you're cleaning your filters. If you're worried about your levels, try adding anachris. It's a cheap floating plant that helps with the nitrates/nitrites, and goldies love to nibble on it. Ammonia lock works wondering with goldfish, helping to keep their levels down and reducing water changes. Fish keeping is alot of trial and error, and you're off to a great start.

All in all, I think you'll be fine. =)

Good luck, and happy fish keeping!
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2011, 12:11 am

Okori.. An incredible 1st post!.. Can't wait to hear you weigh in on other issues!.. Are you GoldFish only or do you branch out? Bill
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2011, 6:39 am

Please HELP me  - Page 2 858205 Please HELP me  - Page 2 265353 Please HELP me  - Page 2 858205
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2011, 6:53 am

Verynice explanation
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2011, 8:52 am

Please HELP me  - Page 2 772341 good

Great help! Thanks Okori!
Back to top Go down
Okori
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2011, 9:00 am

Wow! What a wonderful response.... Please HELP me  - Page 2 165198 Thank you all very much for the high praise. I'll do my best to continue contributing to this forum.

And once again good luck Pixie-dust! You'll be a goldfish master yet!

To Bill: Not to take away from this help topic, I'll post an introduction in the appropriate thread =)
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2011, 9:17 am

very nice post.
Back to top Go down
bigmckyfan
Private First Class
Private First Class
bigmckyfan

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/29/2011, 9:39 am

Very nice post!!
Back to top Go down
Pixie-dust
Private
Private
Pixie-dust

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/30/2011, 12:15 am

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I knew that joining this forum would really help me, so many knowledgeable and friendly people.
Does anyone know what the formula is to figure out how many gallons a tank
is. The aquarium store that I use thinks I have a 100 gallon tank not an 80.
It is about 5 feet L, 1 ft 17 1/2 inches W, and about 1 ft 4 inches tall. Anyone
good at math?
I have 15 fancy goldfish in the tank. They range in size from about 2 1/2 inches
to about 4 1/2 inches.
5 Panda Telescopes
3 Pearlscale
2 Lionhead
1 Chocolate Oranda
2 Blue Oranda
1 red/white Ryukin
1 fantail
and 1 snail

I do feed them varied foods. Some frozen, flakes, algea wafers, shelled peas,
collard greens, spinach and such. I try to give them something different
everyday. I do pre-soak all the dry foods for several minutes before giving it to
them.

I have decided to purchase a wet/dry with refugium filtration system for my tank. I talked to the owner of the aquarium store I go to and he told me about them.
The system will use fresh water plants in it with a light as part of the filter. He said that as the plants grow, I just have to trim them and then I can feed them to my goldfish.
Supposed to be excellent at keeping the tank clean and biologically stable.
I am also purchasing a chiller at the same time because I am sick and tired of
having to turn the lights off during the day, fan, evaporation,etc. during the hot summer months. Now the tanks temp will not bounce around between
74- 80. The fish will be much happier with a cold tank! fish
The store owner is going to install everything for me. I am hoping to have it
installed this weekend. I will keep you posted!

Yes, I know that I am spending A LOT of money but I want healthy and happy fish.
I LOVE to sit and watch them swim around and I cry every time I lose another.

I have decided not to use all the chemicals when I mix the water for the water
changes. I am not going to use the salt all of the time, like I have been doing
and I am going to stop using the AmQuel Plus each time too. I am going to
purchase more Pure water from the local water store but when I do mix my own
with tap, then I will only use the NovAqua. I think that the fish were/are
stressing out because of all the AmQuel each and every water change. Maybe
that is what is killing the fish? And I have been adding it to all my tap water
changes for the last 3 years! No wonder I never had a problem with Nitrate
or Nitrite or Chlorine!

I hope and pray that with all these changes/improvements that I am making, I will
finally be able to have the DREAM tank I have longed for my whole life!

Thanks for reading and thanks for all the GREAT advice. I will keep you all
posted on how things are working out.

Take care and have a great evening!

Tamara
fish bowl
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/30/2011, 12:30 am

Here is a quick link to compute the volume of water in gallons your tank really is:.. Just provide the measurements in inches... Who know's.. ya might have a 150g there!.. Bill
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/information/calculate.htm
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/30/2011, 5:15 am

It appears , by the measurements you gave , you have a 120 gallon tank.
The quick equation method is ,,,
in inches ,,, length X hight X width divided by 231
Hope this helps,,,,,Ray
Back to top Go down
Okori
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/30/2011, 8:21 am

Good luck Tamara!

Ahh yea... the insane sums of money we will spend to keep our fishies happy.... $$$
Back to top Go down
Pixie-dust
Private
Private
Pixie-dust

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/30/2011, 8:54 am

OH MY GOSH, all these years I have had this acrylic tank, (20 + years )
I have thought that it was only 80 gallons! rofl I KNOW that when I
purchased it ( from an aquarium store ), I was told that it was an 80 gallon tank.
I remember because I couldn't make up my mind between that one and the 100
gallon tank! Looks like I got 40 more gallons than I originally thought! I am going to double check my measurements but it would only be off by a couple of inches, if I am off at
all. My boyfriend, at the time, talked me into purchasing this tank because HE wanted
a salt water tank. He said that I could get a dog ( which is what I wanted ) if I
purchase him the tank. I don't know why I agreed ( love makes you stupid I guess )
so I purchased it plus everything needed for a salt water tank, PLUS I had
to pay for the puppy! After we broke up, I wasn't going to just give him the tank, since I
had spent A LOT of money on it, so I kept it. And I am soooooo happy I did. I loved watching
all the beautiful salt water fish and slowly grew into the hobby/passion. As a kid, I did have small tanks for a goldfish or two and have always loved how funny and beautiful they are as well, so when I had to change from a salt water tank to a fresh water tank, I knew I wanted goldfish again. So here I am, with a 120 GALLON fancy goldfish tank! haha
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/30/2011, 9:02 am

Please HELP me  - Page 2 265353 cheers Please HELP me  - Page 2 393849 chicken dance Yay for you !!!!
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/30/2011, 5:47 pm

I think you should stop all meds. Thats not helping this matter. Gold fish are hardy.
Perhaps you may be killing with kindness. The other point is chemicals in the house, Windex etc.
Is your gravel really dirty? Water changes with a water conditioner. I would not even think of a chiller. Go easy with the feedings, I'm sure you already know all these suggestions just trying to throw stuff at you. Fish don't have to be fed daily. Just my thoughts , hope everyones input helps!
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/30/2011, 5:52 pm

Just one question on your measurements... 1 ft 17 inches wide?.. you mean 2 ft, 3 inches?.. If it is 17 inches wide, it's about 70 gal. Bill
Back to top Go down
MarkM
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
MarkM

Favorite Fish: : If it swims and has fins and gills, I like it.

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/30/2011, 6:00 pm

ornate12 wrote:
I think you should stop all meds. Thats not helping this matter. Gold fish are hardy.
Perhaps you may be killing with kindness. The other point is chemicals in the house, Windex etc.
Is your gravel really dirty? Water changes with a water conditioner. I would not even think of a chiller. Go easy with the feedings, I'm sure you already know all these suggestions just trying to throw stuff at you. Fish don't have to be fed daily. Just my thoughts , hope everyones input helps!

Please HELP me  - Page 2 858205 I especially don't think you need a chiller. The temp fluctuation isnt causing all the disease issues you are having. Goldfish are raised in ponds year round. Where do you get your fish from? Your source for your fish could be an issue.
Back to top Go down
SchutzhundJunkie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
SchutzhundJunkie

Favorite Fish: : I really love the big boys, but I have a place in my heart for all fish. I guess my current favorite is my Chocolate (turning Orange) Oranda.

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/30/2011, 7:07 pm

Agree- no chiller needed IMO (from everything I have read). I think finding the exact size on the aquarium will benefit your water quality. If you were only treating the chlorine for 80 gallons and it is really 120 gallons that should be a clue.

Good luck- Julie
Back to top Go down
fishface30
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Angelfish, Rummynose Tetras

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/30/2011, 7:15 pm

what's the range of temperatures that the tank fluctuates?
Back to top Go down
Pixie-dust
Private
Private
Pixie-dust

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime3/30/2011, 7:53 pm

Stupid me! I messed up! the measurements are ...
60 inches L, 18 inches W, and 17 inches H = 80 gallons.
Darn, I thought I had a larger tank. cursing
Thanks Willie for correcting me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please HELP me    Please HELP me  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please HELP me
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Koi, Goldfish, and Ponds-
Jump to: