UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila

Go down 
+9
CajunGator
lifeisgood
Elrollo
steves_kiki
tomany
James0816
strikingthematch
Holey Rock of Texas
lichenthrope
13 posters
AuthorMessage
lichenthrope
Private First Class
Private First Class
lichenthrope

Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Empty
PostSubject: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 2:06 pm

Just ordered 3 2" standard and 15 1/5-2/5" 'nano' Marimo balls, Cladophora aegagropila. Ships from Japan I think so it will be a while. haha

Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila 265353

Anyone else here caring for these? I searched for marimo and cladophora but found nothing.

Most of the nanos are going into a shrimp/snail tank I am working on(10 ghost and 30 RCS en route). Thinking of getting Tylomenia 'towuti white spot' snails to go in there. Hoping to have dwarf hairgrass, duckweed, Fissidens splachnobryoides and possibly star moss as plants. The rest of the nanos will be going into the water portion of my fire belly toad paludarium.

I have been working on a 55 gallon cichlid rock tank, as its a mental image right now and I figured these 2" Marimo balls would be the best bottom plants for the digging interior decorators(convicts most likely).

Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Marimo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marimo
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 2:09 pm

i have seen them in store but i do not have any live plants. look cool. good luck.

Last edited by Holey Rock of Texas on 3/3/2011, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 2:15 pm

Have you tried to google "moss ball"

Here's an article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marimo
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 2:18 pm

I have one medium size moss ball. They really require no care. A very slow growing moss and all you really have to do is rotate the ball once and awhile to avoid brown spots. They also don't need much light and will be happy is most conditions.
Back to top Go down
lichenthrope
Private First Class
Private First Class
lichenthrope

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 2:19 pm

The plan is for the shrimp in one tank and the cichlids in the other to do all the work for me. Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila 772341
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 2:21 pm

Going to be getting some myself when I find the right deal. They are nice additions to shrimp tank.

FYI ... Beware of Star Moss ... It is terrestrial and not fully aquatic. Just a heads up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 2:23 pm

LOL yes convicts should rearrange the decor enough for no brown patches not sureabout the shrimp though.
Back to top Go down
lichenthrope
Private First Class
Private First Class
lichenthrope

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 2:35 pm

James0816 wrote:
Going to be getting some myself when I find the right deal. They are nice additions to shrimp tank.

FYI ... Beware of Star Moss ... It is terrestrial and not fully aquatic. Just a heads up.

Thanks. I will steer clear of that for this purpose, might have to get some for the D.auratus vivarium I am planning though.

I guess the RCS like to roll & ride the little moss balls around! wwoooohooo affraid
Back to top Go down
tomany
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : abn plecos right now. But it changes so much, I see a new fish and want to keep it, too. That's how I got so many tanks. I really want some rams and loaches now.

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/3/2011, 8:09 pm

I have several, like 'striking' said they don't take much care and seem to do fine in most light. I've never seen my rcs rolling them around but they do like to graze on them. When I vacuum they get moved so that's about all I do.
I would watch the cichlids most don't like plants and will pick them to pieces.
Back to top Go down
steves_kiki
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
steves_kiki

Favorite Fish: : I love them all and snails!

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/4/2011, 2:03 am

I've been wanting to get some. But the local petco has some which are like, 80% brown. I have seen them other places like petsmart in the shrimp tanks. They have ghost, crystal reds, crystal blacks and cherry shrimp who seem to adore it!
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/4/2011, 3:09 am

I bought one a while back looks nice in the tank....coool part is if you give it alot of light they actually float release oxygen then sink back down. Fishy beachball. That was in my sword tank with 4 t-5 ho lights going on a 40br tank. They look great and are easy to take care of....heck even the junk chain stores can keep them alive and they kill java ferns. lol!
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/4/2011, 4:49 am

My personal experience with the Marimo balls was generally good. My problem was MTS Snails. They ate them from the inside out ! cursing Didn'rt know that was going on till it was too late. Other snails didn't seem to bother them. And my RCS and Ghost Shrimps loved to pick/graze on them.
Just my 2 cents ,,, Ray
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/4/2011, 11:13 am

yes they are pretty neat.. shrimp loves them..
i fould some at PetSmart and Petco for 7.99 i think.... and they were pretty big
lot at their sites online...
plenty on aquabid also..
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/4/2011, 11:51 am

Be nice to find a group of marble (say aggy) sized ones.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/4/2011, 12:04 pm

A bit lazy to do my research.. but.. Can ya buy just one and split it and they'll reform the ball? if so, how long? Bill
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/4/2011, 12:16 pm

yep...they say just to cut them in half. with no experience in the matter, i can't really say. lol
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/6/2011, 8:04 am

Had great luck with them. Keep them in with Apple Snails as well as a tank full of young plecos/female bettas/ghost shrimp/zebra danios. I picked mine apart when I purchased them and made large marble-sized balls. They are now golf ball - 3 months later.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/6/2011, 3:44 pm

awesome in a tank....
Back to top Go down
lichenthrope
Private First Class
Private First Class
lichenthrope

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/14/2011, 10:53 am

The ones I saw at petsmart/petco were a different species. They were moss tied to styrofoam balls!

aqmagic has the nano marimo balls, marble size -->

Plant Group Algae
Origin Lake Akan Hokkiado, Japan
Difficulty Easy
Light Intensity Low to High
Water Parameters 68-86 °F (20- 30°C); pH 6.0-7.5; kH 3-8
Size Approx 1/5"-2/5" (5 mm-10mm) in diameter
Propagation Leaf division
Back to top Go down
red_dragon_girl_69
Sergeant
Sergeant
red_dragon_girl_69

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, bettas, red tail sharks, dragonfish, cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/18/2011, 11:24 pm

I saw some of these on eBay. Any idea if it would be a good idea to buy from there? They were pretty cheap.
Back to top Go down
lichenthrope
Private First Class
Private First Class
lichenthrope

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/19/2011, 12:14 am

If they are claiming its actually Cladophora aegagropila it cant hurt anything but the pocket book. Just pull one open and see if its styrofoam, charcoal or something else. I say charcoal as I have a fake Marimo ball with a charcoal filter center in my fire belly toad tank as its a filter, ok looking and keeps smells down I guess. The ones I got from Japan seemed like green felt balls, haha.
Back to top Go down
williemcd
Major
Major
williemcd

Favorite Fish: : Angels and hopefully soon Discus

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/19/2011, 1:03 am

I would think anyone selling fake balls with a label would be open to legal actions!
Back to top Go down
lichenthrope
Private First Class
Private First Class
lichenthrope

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime3/19/2011, 1:12 am

The ones I saw were just called 'moss balls', there were no latin names or local names or anything. And the 'fake' one I have was called something along the lines of 'odor removing fake moss ball for turtle tanks'. haha
Back to top Go down
Hariedy
Private
Private

PostSubject: EXPORT CLADOPHORA MOSS BALLS   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime1/22/2012, 1:52 am

Dear sales Manager,
On behalf of Petlogis International Ltd we would like to introduce our main aquarium plant Cladophora Marimo moss balls, which often green-fresh-clean-well selected.
We guarantee to provide all our clients with the best quality in addition to advantage prices. We enable to secure different moss sizes as follows:
2-3cm/3-4cm/4-5cm/5-6cm/6-7cm/7-10cm/10-12cm
Our minimum order 1000 pieces/size.
We own long years experience to export to US-Far East- European Union.
Once interested contact us on:
E-mail:hariedy@t-online.hu
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila   Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marimo Balls - Cladophora aegagropila
Page 1 of 1