UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

NEVER use a USED HEATER.....

Go down 
+9
James0816
LvMyPuffer
discuskent
strikingthematch
lichenthrope
istrober
BFinley
KMX
CajunGator
13 posters
AuthorMessage
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Empty
PostSubject: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime2/28/2011, 10:36 am

if you cant afford a new good heater, you dont need one!.... Never use one that you bought used or was given to you!!!!! they are unreliable since you dont know how old they are or how good they are!

Last weekend one of the only heaters i am using right now, acted up.... water got to 95degrees! really suks... because that tank was my NEW RUBY REDS I JUST GOT IN LAST WEEK!... most fish cannt survive in that temperature! all FIVE of them were floaters! but, the 25 ABNs all survived the ordeal....

NEVER USED OLD HEATERS..... THEY SUK!

Last edited by CajunGator on 2/28/2011, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime2/28/2011, 10:38 am

Ouch NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   196631

Sorry for the loss.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime2/28/2011, 10:40 am

Sorry to here that CG!!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime2/28/2011, 11:19 am

like i said on a previous post, all my heaters are used when i bought them and i knock on wood again lol, i had no problem yet... maybe i got just lucky.. but there is a high chance to get a bad heater when used before..
Back to top Go down
lichenthrope
Private First Class
Private First Class
lichenthrope

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime2/28/2011, 2:51 pm

Sorry for your loss.

I just learned this lesson also, although without any death luckily.
Mine was used...by me, 5 years ago then somehow found its way into a box of holiday ornaments until a month ago. =/
Back to top Go down
strikingthematch
Captain
Captain
strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime2/28/2011, 4:14 pm

Yup this is a great point that I think everyone should know. It has just become common place to always have a heater and such when you get a tank but in so many cases you just don't need one. I know my house stays at 72 and when the lights come on in my tank it sticks at between 76-78 The water will hold that temp (slowly falling) for the time the lights are off.

It is also worth mentioning that I have found the Inside of the canister filter stays much warmer and this may help explain why it takes so long to cool down.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime2/28/2011, 4:20 pm

All my heaters are used also.I have never had a problem with them either.Hopefully it stays that way.
Back to top Go down
discuskent
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
discuskent

Favorite Fish: : discus arowana cichlids

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime2/28/2011, 4:21 pm

ive been using the fluval electronic heater they are $$ but with the built in digatal readout they flash blue if tank drops 3 degrees and flashes red if rises 3 degrees been good so far about 2 yrs i guess
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime2/28/2011, 5:02 pm

I would love to get about 3 of them. but like you said $$$ .
Back to top Go down
LvMyPuffer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
LvMyPuffer

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 4:43 pm

brand new heaters seem to be my issue, the used ones work fine lol.

but i think i am going to try out the fluval since my stealth is recalled.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 4:59 pm

Owy...so sry to hear that.

And I just bought a few of used ones too. Rut Roh!
Back to top Go down
GlassHaven
Private First Class
Private First Class
GlassHaven

Favorite Fish: : Bettas!

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime7/30/2011, 3:21 pm

I gave up on aquariums for over a year after a heater related incident. I had kept two lovely parrot fish for over 4 years and enjoyed them greatly until I killed them on accident.

I noticed my heater not working quite right at one point so I turned it up. Not doing any good I cranked it up again, and probably again.

The fish were still ok and I put off buying a new heater for a bit.

A week or so later I was cleaning the house, vacuuming, when I noticed a plug undone. Without thought, I plugged it back in - and much later that night I found my two fish dead.

That was when I checked to see WHAT I had plugged in, then remembered back to how the heater hadn't been 'working properly'.
Back to top Go down
Ben
Ben

Favorite Fish: : Venustus and Catfish

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime7/30/2011, 3:26 pm

Most of my heaters I use now are ones that sat in a box for 3 years while I did not have tanks. They are all working right. *knock on wood*
Back to top Go down
Shea
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 7:26 am

I don't trust any heater used,new, expensive, cheap... the temp is something I check everyday. Back when I kept discus I had a stealth heater crack and overheat the tank. Good thing the discus could handle the heat but that has kept me on alert since then.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime7/31/2011, 7:55 am

Never. Never. Never.
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime8/3/2011, 2:50 pm

I'm 50/50 when i had discus i bought the ebo jager - eheims new... but my tanks with just tetras and plants i went cheaper and bought hagen elites or top fins..

i got a 200w with my angels it's a eheim eb jager never did me wrong.

so speaking of heaters in your opinion which brands are good and which ones to stay away from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEVER use a USED HEATER.....    NEVER  use a USED HEATER.....   Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEVER use a USED HEATER.....
Page 1 of 1