UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

beakin out my angry face.

Go down 
    +2
    pillierox1
    Snookemz
    6 posters
    AuthorMessage
    Snookemz
    Sergeant
    Sergeant
    Snookemz

Favorite Fish: : believe it or not, I just love guppies.

beakin out my angry face.  Empty
    PostSubject: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 5:02 pm

beakin out my angry face.  998851 <-- this one, not this one beakin out my angry face.  196631: (cause I'm kina baffled why people use the beating a dead horse icon when man...I'm pissed but this is not a subject beat into the ground..anyway...)

I was sold this an aqua fern at Petsmart a few months ago. I forgot the name of it and so I just went to look it up and I find this

Aqua Fern
    Trichomanes javanicum

Family: Unknown
    Also known as:
    [ Common ] Boreno Fern
    [ Scientific ]
    Region: Unknown

Care
    Not a true aquarium plant. If kept in the aquarium it will slowy rot, die and pollute your tank.

WTF?!?! When I asked about the plant (when i bought it) she said "Oh its in the same family as a java fern - your tank will love it!" and I never thought that they'd sell a plant that wasn't meant for water :(
    plus I have NO IRL fishie friends so I haven't seen java fern first hand and just went with it. I should have busted out my phone and googled but I didn't and now I'm all kinds of grumpy.

What do I do with this plant now? Its grown a good bit in my tank and now I have 2 portions of it instead of one so I never would have assumed it would rot! Do I wait til such a thing happens? I don't like to play with fire. Can I go back to Petsmart and kick that lady in the shin and yell at her? If I still had the reciept I'd run back up there with it and demand some action.

booo to you aqua fern.
    Back to top Go down
    pillierox1
    Lieutenant General
    Lieutenant General
    pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 5:08 pm

Lol I would get it out as it might pollute ur water so I would grow where it's suppose so u have it lol or sell it to someone that would want it besides aquarium
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 5:14 pm

LFS will sell many types of bog plants that will not live in your tank. Research is the only way to know if a plant is truly aquatic.
    Back to top Go down
    Snookemz
    Sergeant
    Sergeant
    Snookemz

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 5:16 pm

I tend to kill anything I try to grow outside of a tank setting lol I'm your garden's worst nightmare. I might see if my mom wants anything to do with it - but that means I have to figure out how to take care of it in soil and air, I'm assuming it likes to be watered a lot...
    Back to top Go down
    Snookemz
    Sergeant
    Sergeant
    Snookemz

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 5:18 pm

I think it might have come with a friend because shortly after I added it, a mysterious crab-grass looking plant came around, it grows 2'' and shoots off babies. I have NO clue what it is but I've been trying to get it all out for a while and new ones keep popping up. I'll get one of its pieces out and get a pic - maybe someone knows what it is.
    Back to top Go down
    Snookemz
    Sergeant
    Sergeant
    Snookemz

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 5:30 pm

beakin out my angry face.  Photo_13742E7C-E6A5-1A4A-688A-B7FBDA347A50

that's my weird little invasive plant
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 5:40 pm

looks like some type of dwarf crypt.
    Back to top Go down
    alan j t
    Major
    Major
    alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 6:10 pm

ya i hate petcrap plants
    Back to top Go down
    Snookemz
    Sergeant
    Sergeant
    Snookemz

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 7:05 pm

normally I'd go to the little locally owned store by my house for anything - but I moved. Now I don't know where the good places are and I'm in an isolated area. We went for a dog collar so it was a bit of an impluse. I've got a list now of locally owned fish stores that I plan on checking out this weekend if possible. I like my little store by my other house though :( I like my punky tattooed guy who always tries to get me to keep lizards and the nerdy little petite girl who is so quiet she's hard to hear (but they both know SOOO much!!!!!) and the little older couple who own it (probably in their 70's) who said they didn't have kids because they wanted fish more LOL
    I miss my store :(
    Back to top Go down
    strikingthematch
    Captain
    Captain
    strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 7:14 pm

Hmm seems strange that the plant would make it several months and continue to grow if it was not meant to be an aquatic plant. Most non aquatic plant will rot fairly quickly submerged vice immersed. Then some plants have two different forms (above and below the water line) such as leaves and flower growth.
    Do they still have any of it for sale at the store maybe you could pull the real name of it there. Scientific name is possible to make sure that is what it is.
    Back to top Go down
    Snookemz
    Sergeant
    Sergeant
    Snookemz

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 7:24 pm

Trichomanes javanicum
    thats the scientific name. Its what I got when I looked up my plant, the picture is identical so I'm pretty secure that its the proper name.
    Back to top Go down
    strikingthematch
    Captain
    Captain
    strikingthematch

Favorite Fish: : Discus, Stingrays, Arowana, Rams, and Angels

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 7:28 pm

Well that being the case then I would remove it from the tank. Not worth taking the chance if it suddenly rots
    Back to top Go down
    Snookemz
    Sergeant
    Sergeant
    Snookemz

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 7:51 pm

its out - I've got the roots wrapped in a wet cloth (we don't do paper products) so I can see if my mom would lke to plant it. Upon close inspection, some of the low leaves are browning but not much - odd since it did do a lot of growing (but in some plants the older leaves shed naturally when healthy). I hope that she wants to plant it, I'd hate to just toss it - feels wrong somehow. I also got out a lot of the crabgrass looking stuff, it was so invasive and attaching itself to everything! I got out 2 handfuls of each. Crazy, right? I bought some moss off aquabid and the guy said he's tossing in frogbit? I think? and I've got duckweed on the way (my fry like to swim high) that I'll share with our koi/goldfish pond. I usually try to stock up on plants overe the spring so I can get a lot to the pond. I had black skirted tetras once, my friend's crazy (no, really) boyfriend was going to flush them so I grabbed them from her, they nipped at my guppies so we put them in the pond (One looked sickly too) and omg they flourished SOO much with the koi!!! I put in 4 tetras and they multiplied rather quickly! They've survived 2 winters already. Anyway, since this was growing so nicely I was looking forward to sharing it with the pond but noooooo it just had to be non-aquatic.
    Back to top Go down
    tomany
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : abn plecos right now. But it changes so much, I see a new fish and want to keep it, too. That's how I got so many tanks. I really want some rams and loaches now.

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 10:10 pm

I have this in two tanks and it is growing just fine. In fact what is in the second tank came from the one in the first tank. I have had it about 6 months, the fish and shrimp love it. In fact I love it, it is so different from the regular aquraium plants. Leave it, it will do fine.
    Back to top Go down
    tomany
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : abn plecos right now. But it changes so much, I see a new fish and want to keep it, too. That's how I got so many tanks. I really want some rams and loaches now.

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/24/2011, 10:16 pm

Grow it like Java fern, do not bury the roots, mine just sit on the bottom of the substrate. When I vacuum I just move it, to another place.
    Back to top Go down
    Elrollo
    Major
    Major
    Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/25/2011, 2:09 am

Fortunatley I did not pay anything for mine they were tossing all their plants out I asked if I could take them ....well 47 plastic tubes 9 plants lived/were saved including 3 of these ferns which do quite well sitting next to my aquariums lol in pots. The one I did try to grow in a tank did not disolve it kinda just became a hard almost "twiggy" in texture. Next time you go to pet____ fill in the blank grab a book off the shelf and lok the plant up I have to do this alot at pet stores.

Kick the chick in the shins for me as well
    Back to top Go down
    tomany
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime2/25/2011, 2:27 pm

You can not bury the roots of this plant in the substrate (it will rot). Tie it to a rock, driftwood or just let it sit on the bottom.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: beakin out my angry face.    beakin out my angry face.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

beakin out my angry face.
    Page 1 of 1