UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Ranchu Vs. Lionhead

Go down 
    5 posters
    AuthorMessage
    joepedraza83
    Private
    Private
    joepedraza83

Favorite Fish: : Fancy Goldfish, Tiger Oscar

Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Empty
    PostSubject: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 3:40 pm

Hello! I'm a newbie to fish-keeping but I've gotten so stupefy by fancy goldfish I can't get enough of them. My inquiry is...how can you tell between a lionhead and a ranchu...I bought a black lionhead (at least it was marked as such) but then i went to another local pet shop and were selling (from what i can tell) the same exact fish but only marked as a black ranchu....can someone please give me tips on how to identify my ranchu/lionhead?? (his name is Scar by the way)....details would be appreciated but pictures would be way better.
    Back to top Go down
    SchutzhundJunkie
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    SchutzhundJunkie

Favorite Fish: : I really love the big boys, but I have a place in my heart for all fish. I guess my current favorite is my Chocolate (turning Orange) Oranda.

PostSubject: Re: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 7:10 pm

This is what I found.

Lionheads were originally developed in China and later introduced to Japan during the 17th and 18th centuries. Lionheads have deep bodies that are relatively short and straight. They are dorsaless fish similar to ranchus in appearance. The wen or headgrowth of the lionchu covers its gill plates, cheeks and head. The back of the lionchu is rather flat when compared to the ranchu, which has a more curved back. The wen of the lionhead typically requires about a year for development and patches of the wen are periodically shed.

Julie
    Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 7:50 pm

Welcome to the Box. Great question and great answer.
    Back to top Go down
    cwillis
    Sergeant Major
    Sergeant Major
    cwillis

Favorite Fish: : all of them that the problem but I do favor the shubunkins.

PostSubject: Re: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 8:00 pm

Ranchu Vs. Lionhead 265353 welcome to the site.......from one goldfish lover to another!
    Back to top Go down
    joepedraza83
    Private
    Private
    joepedraza83

PostSubject: Re: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime2/9/2011, 10:38 pm

Cool! Thanks for the info....for now I'll just identify him as Scar...at least untill his Wen really comes in...Thank again
    Back to top Go down
    SchutzhundJunkie
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    SchutzhundJunkie

Favorite Fish: : I really love the big boys, but I have a place in my heart for all fish. I guess my current favorite is my Chocolate (turning Orange) Oranda.

PostSubject: Re: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime2/10/2011, 12:21 am

I would love to see a picture of him (and the wen).

Julie
    Back to top Go down
    wildbeanerz
    Captain
    Captain
    wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime2/10/2011, 10:45 am

So much that I never thought of when it comes to goldfish :)

welcome2
    Back to top Go down
    joepedraza83
    Private
    Private
    joepedraza83

PostSubject: Re: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime2/10/2011, 11:10 am

I'll try to post a pic of him (@Julie) tonight (2/10/11) when I get home and maybe that will help you guys help me :^)
    Back to top Go down
    joepedraza83
    Private
    Private
    joepedraza83

PostSubject: Re: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime2/10/2011, 10:53 pm

This is my dilemma....he has a head growth like a lionhead but he also has a pretty curvy back like a ranchu....i've also heard they have been breeding the so called Lionchu that has features of both. But I still can't say what he is. Hope you guys can help me on this one
    Ranchu Vs. Lionhead CIMG0275
    [img]Ranchu Vs. Lionhead CIMG0277[/img]
    Ranchu Vs. Lionhead CIMG0270-1
    Back to top Go down
    SchutzhundJunkie
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    SchutzhundJunkie

PostSubject: Re: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 12:14 pm

Nice fish

He is really black-black. I hope he stays that way for you. My black guys have lightened up- bellies turned gold so I think they will eventually turn like my chocolate is.

He looks very healthy too. What are you feeding?

Good luck,

Julie
    Back to top Go down
    joepedraza83
    Private
    Private
    joepedraza83

PostSubject: Re: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime2/13/2011, 9:33 am

Thanks. I feed them the Tetra sinking mini sticks....I started out feeding them flakes but man that stuff made my tank really dirty....plus I learned about the fish bladder disease....so that's what I feed them now.
    Back to top Go down
    Okori
    Private First Class
    Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime3/29/2011, 10:13 am

What you have in your hand is a BEAUTIFUL little Ranchu. It's a common misconception, and lionchu are hard to classify at such a small size, but you've got all the basics right.

Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaIkDz93wuuGiEHTE8IfQp5tJOIlgJC9ddJLhS7hJKoldq0a5sPA

Ranchu have tight compact bodies, with a delicate arc to their backs and a "tail tuck" that should jut off at a 45 degree angle. What you're holding in your hand looks like a common SVR or Side View Ranchu, saying that this fish was bred to have traits that would be attractive to look at from a tank as opposed to a pond. Wen growth is common in Ranchu, and will develop more with good food and clean water. Also, note the "triagular" face, another common trait in young ranchu.

!Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8yyHUaaWRzXuDrkP5EYoBiQCeIc03WOnqfzbg4YkUmZY5AwFfbw

Lionheads tend to have longer, straighter backs (the need of the tight curve is unnessicary) and much fuller headgrowth all around, on the cheeks and on the head. Hence the term "Lion" head, reffering to how the when has the full mane-like effect.

The Lionchu is a perfect combination of the two. A fuller longer body, fuller head growth, and are generally a pretty hardy fish.

(I'd show you a picture, but all Lionchu are different and it's hard to pinpoint what traits are "true" lionchu traits)

Not sure where you found this little beauty, but it's a treasure. Looks to be about 2''-2'' 1/2 inches, so about six to eight months old. I can't be certain from the pictures (and ranchu/lionheads can be hard to gender do to headgrowth) but it looks like it's a little girl, judging from the pectoral fins.

Wonderful find, and good luck
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ranchu Vs. Lionhead   Ranchu Vs. Lionhead Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ranchu Vs. Lionhead
    Page 1 of 1