UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

stuff to secure coral?

Go down 
+2
wildbeanerz
dcninja757
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

stuff to secure coral? Empty
PostSubject: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 9:33 pm

any cheap easy to find proven methods to secure coral to live rock without buying that epoxy stuff? I don't want to drive 30 minutes there and back to get the stuff if I can get something closer.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/5/2011, 9:35 pm

Super Glue Gel

I should add that I have never used it myself but have read of lots of others using it.
Back to top Go down
bkozolup
Sergeant
Sergeant
bkozolup

Favorite Fish: : Chrysurus angel fish

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 9:52 am

This is the best way to go

Instructions

Things You'll Need:
Live rock
Coral
Super Glue gel (with cyanoacrylate)
Aquarium putty
Paper towel

Locate the appropriate area on rocks in your tank where you can attach your new coral. Take into account the flow rate, lighting and environmental conditions of the species you want to attach and find a suitable location. Note the surface of the rock at your desired location.
Mix and prepare the aquarium putty. Note the size and texture of the rock surface and use the appropriate amount of putty to ensure adequate contact--more putty for porous, rough surfaces, less putty for smooth surfaces.
Remove the coral from the water and dry the base, gently, with a paper towel. Most corals will tolerate being out of water briefly with no problems.
Apply a thin layer of Super Glue to the dry base of the coral. Be careful to not apply the Super Glue directly on to the surface of the coral, only the base.
Attach the aquarium putty to the Super Glue gel.
Apply another layer of Super Glue gel to the opposite side of the putty--the surface that will attach the coral to the rock. You should apply enough gel so that it will spread evenly, but not beyond the coral when you press it on to the live rock.
Press the coral with the putty and Super Glue gel to the desired location on the live rock and hold in place for several minutes. The gel will cure underwater and your new coral will be firmly attached to the live rock when you release it.

Back to top Go down
Demonkegman
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Demonkegman

Favorite Fish: :
Salt water - Lion fish.
Fresh water - Arowana.
Food - Any type of Salmon sushi.

SALT WATER LOVER!!!! Fresh...... not so much...

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 12:24 pm

lmao... i used super glue back in the day is a rook... got it everywhere and killed the frag... cry
Back to top Go down
dcninja757
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : Fish

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 1:31 pm

i got the gel locktite brand super glue... i took the frag off the plastic piece and applied it liberally on the bottom of the rock, hopefully didn't touch the coral. i secured it in place. one of the polyps is open now so that's a good sign.

also left a polyp on the frag stand thing in my tank chillin so i can grow it out and give it to a friend.
Back to top Go down
bkozolup
Sergeant
Sergeant
bkozolup

Favorite Fish: : Chrysurus angel fish

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 1:59 pm

use chop sticks to handle frags. put a rubber band in the middle to end with a piece of plastic as a hinge that way if you frag in water the chopstick floats to the top with your frag.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 3:31 pm

(home depot) JB water weld "for potable water"
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

Favorite Fish: : black false percula, spotted mandarin

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/26/2011, 11:25 pm

u can use super glue gel..with cyanoacrylate, not super glue, not super gel... clear quick drying gel lol.. it has to have cyanoacrylate. this can be used to glue say a torch frag to a rock or something like that. it is not meant to nor should it ever be used to directly glue a live coral like a leather, mushroom etc to a rock. for those use a tooth pick or a rubber band. or something like that.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/27/2011, 8:24 am

A toothpick? Please explain. I always use rubber bands or just seperate into a dish with rubble and allow it to attach on it's own then move it where I want it but both of these processes take time.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

Favorite Fish: : Maroon clownfish,Tangs,bluespot jaw fish,Bangaii,Mandarins etc.......I love all fish really.

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/27/2011, 8:32 am

the tooth pick or rubber band is just to help secure the coral where you want it
like Ricordia and shrooms tend to slither off the disc. btw super glue alone doesn't work as well as epoxy along with super glue.
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/27/2011, 11:09 am

cwhip wrote:
the tooth pick or rubber band is just to help secure the coral where you want it
like Ricordia and shrooms tend to slither off the disc. btw super glue alone doesn't work as well as epoxy along with super glue.
tru, the combo works great
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/28/2011, 9:56 am

What do you do with the toothpick though? If you have a picture that would be awesome. I usually use a rubber band.
Back to top Go down
cwhip
cwhip

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/28/2011, 11:08 am

Simply slide the tooth pick through the coral and use a rubber band or glue to hold it to the disc.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime2/28/2011, 1:48 pm

So with a shroom...just poke through the shroom? They don't always have a base you can get to. I guess I just never though about that you could just poke through the flat part of the shroom.

Now I feel a little stupid! crazy
Back to top Go down
juice28
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
juice28

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime3/1/2011, 11:01 am

sorry, i dont have pics of anything tooth picked down. toot picks can be used on leather corals. lets say you have a nice sized leather but its not on a good base. you cant directly glue it the rock and the poxy isnt gonna work on the raw tissue of the coral either, and anyone who has used the epoxy b-4 knows how it molds to just support instead of making a water tight seal like the glue....still with me? good lol.
now you have you leather where you want it but it wont stay. stick a toothpick or two in the bottom of it.... like a potatoe on a jar kinda (preferably through a small part) so you can just pull it straight out once it secures itself to the rock. you can super-gell the tooth picks together to make small braces or supports around the coral so it doesnt move and then remove them later also to make small The tooth picks basically become little wooden rafters or. ive seen them used on mushrooms that havent secured to yet. this isnt mine so i hope i dont get in trouble lol, here is a pic of what im talking about somewhat so hopefully this may spawn some ideas of various ways to secure corals and such. hope it helps[img]stuff to secure coral? Mounted_sinu2[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stuff to secure coral?   stuff to secure coral? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

stuff to secure coral?
Page 1 of 1