UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Need some advice

Go down 
+2
elfwolfe
GnomeGrrl
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GnomeGrrl
Private First Class
Private First Class
GnomeGrrl

Favorite Fish: : All of them!

Need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Need some advice   Need some advice Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 12:58 am

As I think I mentioned in my intro, I often take in fish that need to be re-homed due to foreclosure. Today, I came home from work to find a tank sitting on my doorstep with a note from the guy I usually get them from telling me to set it up because I'd need it. When I called him, he said it would be for Africans, but I couldn't get too many details out of him (we both have funny accents which makes things tricky. LOL). I assume that the fish I'm getting have been together for a while, but I'm pretty sure not in the tank he provided because it looked brand new. A 20g seems small, but I can't provide much higher. I could split my 29g tropical inhabitants between the 20g, 14g and possibly the 55g (though it's already pretty much at capacity) and house them there, but without knowing what I'm getting, I'm basically flying blind.

Regardless of the quantity, it seems I'm going to be the proud Mama of some African cichlids. Having not really kept these guys before, I'm a little concerned. Sure, I have a couple of blood parrots and an angel, but they're not quite the same and the research I've done indicates that the way I usually set my tanks up decoration-wise may not cut it. Generally I have a mostly sandy bottom with a bit of gravel and decor generally consists of clay pots and a mix of fake and live plants (mostly fake, if I'm honest ... I don't seem to have much luck with the live). Money is tight, so I can't afford to go out and spend a small fortune on new decorations. So ... I'm wondering if anyone has any hints on what I'll need and how I can get it with as little out of pocket as possible.

Also, tips to calm down an excessively grumpy husband who already believes that the fish are plotting to kill him would be much appreciated ;)

Thanks! :)
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

Need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice   Need some advice Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 1:28 am

here is a huge tip, mke sure you have plenty of caves! it will help to keep the peace wih the africans.

As for hubby, just remind him that if "momma aint happy, aint nobody happy"
Back to top Go down

Need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice   Need some advice Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 1:42 am

depending on the type and how many a 55 gal may be too small. Get at least some holey rock or shell gravel to bump up your PH and like said earlier caves are a must.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

Need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice   Need some advice Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 5:23 am

I keep several different Africans. Size of tank is not as important as care of fish. I have breeding fish in everything from 10's to 55's with no problems . I have fake and real plants in most tanks , and Bog wood in most also . BUT , some of my African tanks only have bog wood.
Good luck with your new arrivals .

Ray

Ps. get hubby a tank of his own that he can put in whatever he wants and he takes care of.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice   Need some advice Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 8:56 am

Clay pots and fake plants are perfect for Africans...turn pots on their side and "INSTANT cave" fake plants are great because alot of africans will eat the real ones. I agree with Fishvixen you want some coral/shells in the tank to keep your pH up around 7.8 or higher.

As far as the Husband goes make him laugh....do a godfather, but instead of a horses head make it a fishes head in newspaper (and plastic to keep the smell down...this would have me rolling, but if it is not him...good luck
Back to top Go down
GnomeGrrl
Private First Class
Private First Class
GnomeGrrl

Need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice   Need some advice Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:18 pm

Hehe. I would get him his own tank but he has zero interest. I will try the fish head though, Elrollo ;)

Anyway ... thanks for the tips. I spoke to my 'enabler' and he said that it would be only enough for the 20g, so I'm going to stick with that for now. I've thrown in a few clay pots and snagged a variety of tall, short, mid sized fake plants out of the other tanks to break up line of sight a little. I've also added crushed coral to the substrate and that appears to have worked for the pH. Now to get the darn thing cycled as quickly as possible. Yikes!
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

Need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice   Need some advice Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:31 pm

You can add filter media from an already established tank to help along your cycle. Just watch for the spikes.
Back to top Go down
GnomeGrrl
Private First Class
Private First Class
GnomeGrrl

Need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice   Need some advice Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 1:41 pm

Already done, wildbeanerz. I'm keeping a close eye on the parameters and am thinking that in another couple of days, I'll add a couple or three minnows to help it along.

It would be nicer if I knew how much time I had before these guys arrive, but he usually gives me plenty of notice ... not the month or so I'd need to do a proper, proper cycle, but if they're fish I can't add to an established tank, I'll get 2 or 3 weeks.

I'm still nervous about the 20g, but if push comes to shove, I can do what I thought at first and shuffle my other tanks around. Jose is pretty knowledgeable and wouldn't deliberately stress fish out by putting them in cramped quarters, but when you're dealing with rescues, sometimes you have to push the boundaries a little.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice   Need some advice Icon_minitime2/2/2011, 6:58 pm

Good luck. Once you get them let us know what they are or post pics so we can help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need some advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need some advice   Need some advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need some advice
Page 1 of 1