UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

sand warning?

Go down 
+8
Holey Rock of Texas
FishWithTeethLover
TankGirl
keeperofkillers
James0816
reid429
sal
wblueus
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
wblueus
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : cichlids

sand warning? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: sand warning?   sand warning? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/25/2011, 10:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ive never had sand yet in an aquarium but thats fixing to change real soon ..Is there any tips or anything i should be warned about? I do have a canister filter so what can i do to prevent the sand from getting sucked up in it?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: sand warning?   sand warning? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/26/2011, 12:07 pm

sand warning? - Page 2 DSCN4279
Back to top Go down
snoskiur
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : African cichlids; mostly peacocks and haps

PostSubject: Re: sand warning?   sand warning? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 5:56 pm

Want a great idea to keep from sucking up sand while vacuuming?? I had a problem with loosing sand during water changes/vacs... Now, I siphon the water into a bucket out side, through a window (although, a bucket in the sink with a Python works, too). Let the water siphon into the bucket and over flow. When you're done... Wala! The sand is all in the bottom of the bucket and you just put it back in the tank!

Hope that helps someone!
Back to top Go down
Keelo
Major
Major
Keelo

Favorite Fish: : Mollys, BN plec, and Thoracochromis brauschi

PostSubject: Re: sand warning?   sand warning? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 10:34 pm

snoskiur wrote:
Want a great idea to keep from sucking up sand while vacuuming?? I had a problem with loosing sand during water changes/vacs... Now, I siphon the water into a bucket out side, through a window (although, a bucket in the sink with a Python works, too). Let the water siphon into the bucket and over flow. When you're done... Wala! The sand is all in the bottom of the bucket and you just put it back in the tank!

Hope that helps someone!

I read on a website when i was researching types of sands. you use your siphon or vaccum about 1/2-1 inch from the sand... it still sucks up the debris without picking up the sand jsut kind of stirs it up a little.

Not sure if this works yet because i dont have sand YET but it seemed kind of logical :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sand warning?   sand warning? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/29/2011, 11:00 pm

I have used Pool filter sand since well always that i can remember, and I have gotten it at Leslie's Pool place or what ever its called its cheap! and looks good, I just clean it super good and give it time to settle, also turn off the filter when churning it up. I have no lines in the substrate by the glass, as i keep it stirred, However I have never had a sand bed smaller then two inches, may be a little more as i like to be able to see the bottom and give the tenants the option to move it around where they like, I have also grown plants in this, Like Java Fern and Anubias Nana, and Anacharis, and all of them seem to grow fine, I layer a little natural gravel into the sand, kind of like a pocket for the roots, and never bury the tuber, like on a Anubias. No fert. and No CO2, and they grow like crazy. have to give stuff away. Just My 2 Cents.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: sand warning?   sand warning? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 1:30 pm

The sand I put a pic of you can vacuum just like gravel and lose very very little!
Back to top Go down
TankGirl
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
TankGirl

Favorite Fish: : Lake Tanganyikan cichlids

PostSubject: Re: sand warning?   sand warning? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/30/2011, 2:40 pm

Also, the longer you have sand in your tank the heavier it gets, being coated with a biofilm, or whatever you want to call it, so it is less likely to get stirred up. In my mature tanks I don't have a problem with vacuuming it up, even with play sand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sand warning?   sand warning? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

sand warning?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2