UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

root tone on cambomba

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
felidacity
Private First Class
Private First Class
felidacity

root tone on cambomba Empty
PostSubject: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/24/2011, 7:06 am

I got a neat bunch of cambamba.... has neat little purple flowers... no roots though... can I use rootone? Is it safe for the fish that I plan to add later?
Tank is looking pretty....
Mary
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/24/2011, 11:01 am

Just stick it in the substrate, the roots will grow without any stuff on them.
Back to top Go down
felidacity
Private First Class
Private First Class
felidacity

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/26/2011, 10:26 pm

OK, I did that and will keep my fingers crossed that they do ok.. haven't had much luck before...
Now I have another question....
I have had my tank set up for 1.5 weeks... The timer wasn't working over the weekend when I was out of town and the light stayed on all weekend.
Now all the plants have this slimmy covering. I tried to syphon it off, but it wouldn't let go! Then I tried rubbing it off and that didn't help either...
I got some ghost shrimp to help cycle the tank... will they help get rid of this stuff? What about snails?
What should I do??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/26/2011, 11:54 pm

Do a water change and keep the lights off the next time. The shrimp may eat some. What color is the Slime? If greenish leave the lights off and put a blanket around the tank to block any light for 3 days. I myself would let it be until the cycling is done then deal with any algae that have grown. My tanks look a mess by the time they are cycled! lol! Of course cambamba will die quickly also I would pull it and get fresh plants.
Back to top Go down
felidacity
Private First Class
Private First Class
felidacity

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 3:39 am

The slim is kinda clearish, maybe grey if I had to put a color to it. Has fine strings flowing from it... covers all the plants and some on the driftwood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 11:41 am

Ok that is normal-ish, I've had it a few times. Never found out what it was but it is harmless and passes fairly quickly.
Back to top Go down
felidacity
Private First Class
Private First Class
felidacity

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 6:55 pm

Doesn't LOOK harmless... looks like it is enveloping my plants! Like some disease from outerspace! Yuck!
HOW quick will it pass?
What about using something called "cycle" to quicken this process along? Someone told me about it...but I haven't actually looked for it yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 7:21 pm

Its it almost cobweb looking?
Back to top Go down
felidacity
Private First Class
Private First Class
felidacity

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 7:34 pm

kinda, but not really. How do you load pictures??... I can try taking one and sending it along...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 7:56 pm

Put them on photobucket.com and copy the image link and post it on here
Back to top Go down
felidacity
Private First Class
Private First Class
felidacity

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 8:30 pm

https://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/felidacity/

password slimmy
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 8:57 pm

water change, and control your lighting and fert dosing... what size tank, and what type of lighting? and how long of a light period did you have for the lights before the timer went bad?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 10:27 pm

Your photobucket says "too many failed log ins try back later" copy and paste the photo image link not your acct link.
Back to top Go down
felidacity
Private First Class
Private First Class
felidacity

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 4:49 am

It is a 75 gallon tank...set up for a week before I went out of town. The lights are 4 t5 48"bulbs(2 are atenic). I had been keeping the lights on for about 14 hours a day before I left for the weekend, when they stayed on the whole time. Approx 64 hours....
Now that I have the timer figured out, they are on 8 hours.4 in the am and 4 at night.

Now...Why should I do a water change? The water has only been there for 2 weeks and I don't have any fish yet... No fertilizers... Won't this slow down the cycling process?? I did change some while I was trying to syphon the stuff off the leaves, but that was only a few gallons.
Should I be testing the water? How do I know when it is safe to add fish??

Also, what about this "cycle" stuff?? Will it help balance the tank faster?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime1/28/2011, 9:37 am

You have shrimp and snails that are living so same as cycling with fish.The snails actually may be giving off slime also from high ammonia levels. Make sure all the snails are alive or your water will foul really quickly. Get some used filter material from another tank and put it in your filter (another hobbyist or a LFS). Used decorations and used gravel in cut off panty hose (keep everything wet don't let it dry out) also helps plant good bacteria in your tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: root tone on cambomba   root tone on cambomba Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

root tone on cambomba
Page 1 of 1