UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Grape Vine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
parkmond131
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Peacock's & Haps for watching, "Flounder for eating" Yum

Grape Vine Empty
PostSubject: Grape Vine   Grape Vine Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 8:38 pm

Hi all, Just wondering if Grape Vine (wood) can be used in an Aquarium. It's not the wild stuff it's the LFS cut peices.

Thanx 4 any help!!!

JB
Back to top Go down
steeleman1114
Private
Private
steeleman1114

Favorite Fish: : Convicts, Leopard Ctenopoma, African Butterflies.

Grape Vine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grape Vine   Grape Vine Icon_minitime1/14/2011, 10:18 pm

It works for a while but eventually develops a white slime that apparently shrimp and ottos love. After that it does eventually rot, it just takes a while for it to do so.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Grape Vine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grape Vine   Grape Vine Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 1:41 am

My experience is it does rot faster than hard wood..I had some that actually started to seperate and peices would occasionaly fall off. I have emailed several manufactors and they say it is safe for aquariums just becareful because it can release tannins and lower your pH...all wood can do this though.
Back to top Go down
2SciCrazed
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Grape Vine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grape Vine   Grape Vine Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 9:45 am

I was actually eyeballing some as well. From what I've read plecos need wood to munch on.

Since my Malawi tank is buffered heavily for high pH - and has a big piece of limestone in it. It should be ok to put a piece of this in it right?

Should I get some smaller pieces of limestone and put them in the planted tank (buffered at 7pH) and the brim tank (buffered at 7.5) in order to naturally counteract the tannins and maintain pH levels - when I put small pieces of this in those?
Back to top Go down

Grape Vine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grape Vine   Grape Vine Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 10:15 am

2sci, you only need a small piece to keep a pleco happy.

I have never used grape vine......
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

Grape Vine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grape Vine   Grape Vine Icon_minitime1/15/2011, 10:29 am

Grape vine is not very good for the aquarium as it rots rather quickly when fully submerged and will foul up the water pretty good. Too bad to as some of it looks pretty nice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grape Vine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grape Vine   Grape Vine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grape Vine
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: General Freshwater Fish Discussion-
Jump to: