UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Indoor Tub Pond

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Indoor Tub Pond Empty
PostSubject: Indoor Tub Pond   Indoor Tub Pond Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 12:59 pm

I currently have my one 2 inch comet in a 10g tank. My mother in law has taken over the tank with her new 4 red wag platies. So, my little comet is getting kicked out because I know he can't survive in a that tank for long with those 4 fish. Now, I am well aware that comets do not live in 10g for very long anyway. It was kind of an impulse purchase as I'm just getting into this hobby. We've had him for about 2 or 3 months now. He started off very small. I'd say an inch long and has grown to be just over 2 inches in that time. I feed him Tetrafin Goldfish Crisps, Hikari Algae wafers, bloodworms, and occasionally brine shrimp. He also gets veggies.

I am planning on moving him to an indoor tub pond but I want to do it the right way. It is a rubbermaid tub from Target. This tub holds 14 gallons of water. It is not near enough for my little comet, but for now, it will have to do. The 10g he is in right now is cycled, with gravel substrate, a Top Fin 10 filter, java fern, and some driftwood. The driftwood will go with him into the new tub pond.

I have used these tubs in the past for fish and they work just fine. I can mount a HOB filter on the side without much problem, but I do notice that with the water in the tub, the sides tend to bow. Is there anything I can do to help this?

What should I use for substrate (if anything) for this tub pond? The filter I plan to use is rated for a 30 gallon. I will also be using live plants. Recommendations would be great as I have little knowledge about aquatic plants. Lighting will consist of normal indoor lighting and any sun light coming through the skylight and large window in the room.

Water temperatures are around 69-71. Are there any fish or inverts I can put in the pond with him for cleaning purposes?

Any any other advice you have as well. Please note, this 14 gallon tub pond will not be a permanent home for him. As soon as my husband and I are able to move into our own house, he will get a much bigger pond.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Indoor Tub Pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indoor Tub Pond   Indoor Tub Pond Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 2:18 pm

Sanils can usually go in ponds with goldffish...also if you have the light try some anacaris plants they nibble on them and they are easy to grow(probably get some snails off the plants). You can hook your filter up they usually will fit onto the side of the totes if you are not planning on moving it around much to help keep the cycle going. If you can I would take as much of the water from the 10 gallon as you can, but that being said comets are tough customers. I would keep up with weekly water changes and watch chemical levels beccause the tote will probably still go thru a small bio cycle.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Indoor Tub Pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indoor Tub Pond   Indoor Tub Pond Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 2:39 pm

I was planning on putting some of the 10 gallon's gravel in the tub and use some old filter media in one half of the new filter to help with the cycle. I also have some Stress Zyme I can use to help with that as well.

Should I go mostly bare bottom (with the exception of the gravel from the 10 gallon)?

What about mystery snails?

Thank you for all your help!
Back to top Go down

Indoor Tub Pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indoor Tub Pond   Indoor Tub Pond Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 2:48 pm

in 14 gals no other fish but the snails are great. to support bin walls use liquid nails and 1/4" plywood. For plants comets love to eat floating plants just watch duckweed it will out grow a tank quickly.but if you have the time to scoop some out every now and then goldfish love it as food and great for water quality.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Indoor Tub Pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indoor Tub Pond   Indoor Tub Pond Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 10:28 pm

Mystery snails are fine...as you goldfish gets bigger they might actually eat the snails..so go inexpensive. So far sounds like you have it all planned out yes
Back to top Go down
SeaWitch
Sergeant
Sergeant
SeaWitch

Favorite Fish: : I love goldies of any type! I also love bettas. I hope to eventually get more tropical fish, though.

Indoor Tub Pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indoor Tub Pond   Indoor Tub Pond Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 11:04 am

Rubbermaid tubs are a life saver! I use them for QT/hospital tanks. I have some olive nerite snails and they are great little algae cleaners.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

Indoor Tub Pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indoor Tub Pond   Indoor Tub Pond Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 11:48 am

How about a small stock tank? That should do ya jest fine. Provide the little guy with some room and as well be a little more eye appealing. Not to mention you won't have worry about the sides bowing.

I guess you could probably notch out a couple of 2x4's to fabricate a pseudo brace?
Back to top Go down

Indoor Tub Pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indoor Tub Pond   Indoor Tub Pond Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 11:54 am

I have had the bins up for months and the sides never bowed out more than the initial filling, I wouldn't worry about it.

I keep 4 of those on hand just for emergency temp tanks, they are super handy!

Use the gravel in there it will help. Go really cheap on plants because he will nibble on them, so get whatever is on sale!

Your plan all sounds good!
Back to top Go down
ClarkeExotics
Sergeant
Sergeant

Indoor Tub Pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indoor Tub Pond   Indoor Tub Pond Icon_minitime1/11/2011, 11:59 am

Well if I can get this 30 gallon tank I have water ready, he'll be going into a 30 gallon (its really like 29, but I round up) tank instead of the 14.....now i need to figure out what to put in the 14....I kind of wanted to try breeding some cory catfish. Would those do well in the 14g?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Indoor Tub Pond Empty
PostSubject: Re: Indoor Tub Pond   Indoor Tub Pond Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Indoor Tub Pond
Page 1 of 1