UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

what do you think

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 4:55 pm

thinking about breeding my albino pleco's. they have bred in my community tanks so i know i have a pair or two.

so i have a 40 breeder with 2 huge pieces of driftwood and i might add some pleco caves too. idk yet.
filtration will be seasoned sponge filter. right now its BB. but i really want to add some black substrate.

what do you think? how about food for the little ones? when free swimming.
could i add a school of sterbia cory too without having harm to the fry. if im lucky the corys would spawn too.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 10:50 pm

Do it! They will eat the left over flakes and what not.
Back to top Go down

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 10:56 pm

Don't plecos need a small cave so the male can block the female for spawning?
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 12:09 am

i can do caves.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 6:11 am

Pleco's will spawn in caves or other enclosed spots . Cory will be fine in with Pleco Babies. Dad keeps them in the "cave" for about a week . Babies will eat flake , algae , Plecocaine , etc. They will cling to and scrape the glass walls. I also slice a zucchini and scoop the seeds out , and rubber band it to a small rock . They LOVE that.
Good luck . And enjoy .
Back to top Go down

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 10:52 am

Everything you have written up top is good. Het a cave or 2 from HRT they are the caves I use and they work very well!
The young are fine with algae wafers and pretty much anything you give the adults other than blood worms. They will hit zucchini slices as soon as they leave daddy's cave!
I use stainless steel forks to hold all of the random veggies down, it works well.

other foods; nls thra a, carnivore pellets, spirulina sticks, watermelon, yellow squash, cantaloupe, honey dew melon...... I pretty much just toss in a bit of whatever fresh fruit or veggi I happen to have and if they don't like it they wont eat it!

They don't like; cabbage, carrots, Brussel sprouts
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 4:47 pm

cool to hear guys and gals. how about some substrate?
Back to top Go down

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 5:09 pm

Leave it bare bottom, plecos poop a lot and I just run my siphon without the attachment so its just the tube so the poop comes up much easier!
Once you do get fry they are fairly easy to shoo away and if you do accidentally siphon one they take it pretty well!
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

Favorite Fish: : My Favorites are the Pleco's and Cory Cats . BUT , I have 44 running Tanks at this time . I keep 3 kinds of Shellies , several types of Pleco's ( mostly Ancistrus ), Cichlids , Crays , Angels , LB's , and some local species .

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 5:32 pm

I have a Pea gravel substrate in my tanks . I use a Python to clean tanks and do water changes every other day or third day . My fry and young juvies appear to love it . It "rolls" the gravel over and exposes another side of the "rocks" and they are all over them .
Just sayin'
Back to top Go down

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 5:47 pm

I had mine in a bear bottom 33g long with 2 aquaclear 70's on it, a few bits of wood, 2 breeding caves and any bit of rock or decor that needed a good cleaning went in there for a few days to get picked clean by them.
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/8/2011, 7:33 pm

I use sand. They love to dig in the sand. Long hollow caves with smaller openings are what they like to use. I got some ceramic caves that look like half logs. They breed for me once a week!
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 12:57 am

Will ploces breed in pvc tubes I can kinda smush them by heating them up then applying vise grips. I saw pvc caves stacked in a LFS tank and thought it would work good in a cichlid pleco tank.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 5:12 am

1 inch to 1.5 diameter and at least 6 inches long with an end cap works good for them. For an added pleasure , Put a thin layer of Aquarium sealant all over the PVC and roll it in sand or gravel then let it dry 24-48 hours and you get a eye pleasing cave to match your surrounding land scape.

Ray
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 6:44 am

what do you think 858205 I think that they would work well, given that they are long enough and blocked off at one end.
Back to top Go down

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 8:02 am

The eggs may not stick very well in pvc and you may get quite a few that roll out of the cave.

You can take a smallish but deep clay pot and block most of the end off so there is only a pleco sized hole. I've never done it but it seems like it would work.

And again I will mention that holey rock has some nice caves for a very good price.
Back to top Go down
lifeisgood
Captain
Captain
lifeisgood

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 8:10 am

I have a colony of BN that totally ignored the 2 caves I put in with them . The male chose instead to use the hole in the bottom of a Tank Decoration instead !! And I might add , him and his 3 Females are my most prolific breeders .
Just sayin'
Back to top Go down

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 8:13 am

just like a kid you buy the expensive toy and they play with the box. lol!
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 8:19 am

I had my best Albino BN Male get stuck and die inside of a plastic decor piece, so be careful with that...
Back to top Go down

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 5:54 pm

Well fish are always out to surprise you that is for sure! But the caves have served me well......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

what do you think Empty
PostSubject: Re: what do you think   what do you think Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what do you think
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Fish Breeding-
Jump to: