UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Before and After

Go down 
+12
Elrollo
proyect01
KMX
Petersmonkey
sschult
alkomist
jb1edlover
mark
bbandu
BFinley
Dr. Who
jeb102385
16 posters
AuthorMessage
jeb102385
Private
Private
jeb102385

Favorite Fish: : i have so many...

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 4:01 pm

i decided my 190 corner bowfront didnt have enough rock in it so me and a friend redid it and i wanted to get some hobbyests openions. Let me know what you think!

Before

Before and After 2ntfuv5

and after

Before and After 2d01fmx
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 4:04 pm

Why are you not useing limestone holey rock. It would look better with your africans. Just a suggestion.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 4:12 pm

Very very nice!! yes good
Back to top Go down
jeb102385
Private
Private
jeb102385

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 4:26 pm

the rock in the tank is white as well. i wanted to do more of a rock stacking as opposed to large peices of holy rock and it is hard to find nice boulders of holy rock. in doing these rocks i could aslo make channels for the plecos and the synodontis to hide in. plus with it not being a calcium based rock there is no effect on the ph of the tank.
Back to top Go down
bbandu
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
bbandu

Favorite Fish: : They are all my favorite

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 4:49 pm

Nice
Back to top Go down
mark
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 5:12 pm

yes
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 5:18 pm

The Calcium "PH" of the tank would only benefit the african cichlids! However I love the rock you have chosen. Houston has pretty high PH in there water anyway, right? I know San Antonio has liquid rock out of the tap, most places the PH is around 8.2-8.6
Back to top Go down
jeb102385
Private
Private
jeb102385

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 5:20 pm

ya the ph here is 8.4 and hard so i dont really need the help from the holy rock
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 6:12 pm

could use some plants? and some caves cichlids love llil caves
Back to top Go down
Dr. Who
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 6:15 pm

The rock isn't for ph. Holey rock gives you lots of caves.
Back to top Go down
jb1edlover
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
jb1edlover

Favorite Fish: : I have the fish in my avatar but the photo was taken by Nick Andreola of the HCCC. His photography skills are a little better than mine!

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 6:42 pm

My preference for rock is limestone, but with less holes and not big for a couple of reasons.

1. Big rocks are heavy and even though I'm a big dude why bother!
2. Less holes for fish to get stuck in!! Trust me I've lost a lot of fish that way!
3. I've found that lime stone stacks very well and is less heavy than simliar sized rocks.
4. I know that limestone doesn't really raise PH unless your PH is very low. It really only "Buffers" or stabilizes the PH levels. Pet stores will insist that you need limestone because they can make big money on it. I've done limestone tanks and slate tanks, and bare bottom tanks, no real difference in fish health.... If you do frequent water changes limestone isn't really that beneficial. If you slack off and get lazy it will keep PH up longer.
Back to top Go down
sschult
Sergeant
Sergeant
sschult

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 6:52 pm

Awesome set up, just on small Idea, have you concidered some water movement under those rocks w/power heads or something. In a couple of months there's going to be waste starting to accumulate down there, just a tought. Before and After 772341
Back to top Go down
jeb102385
Private
Private
jeb102385

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 8:32 pm

the tank is drilled for the over flow that has a 1600gbh pump, it is also drilled in the middle of the tank ( under the rock pile) with an eheim 2262 hooked up to it. when i put the new rocks in it i took the old ones out and i didnt notice any waist buildup
Back to top Go down
Petersmonkey
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Petersmonkey

Favorite Fish: : Angels

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 9:11 pm

That is one beautiful Tank !

Back to top Go down

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 9:42 pm

Fantastic job Jeb!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 10:17 pm

Amazing!

Looks like you have mbuna. Just make sure when they start digging in the sand like crazy that the rocks don't start to adjust. Don't want to have a mini rock avalanch...that leads to broken glass and water on the floor.

LOOKS GREAT!!! Very nice tank.
Back to top Go down
proyect01
Captain
Captain
proyect01

Favorite Fish: : Aulonocara species

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 10:54 pm

Before and After 858205
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 12:37 am

Nice tank...awesome rock pile drool
Back to top Go down
R2 Ranch
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
Chief Wrnt. Off. 4
R2 Ranch

Favorite Fish: : Any that belong to me.

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 6:53 am

Very Nice!!!! Thanks for sharing. Before and After 393849
Back to top Go down
jeb102385
Private
Private
jeb102385

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 8:22 am

there are 100+ Demasoni and 20 synodontis petricola i havent had them start digging yet but i p the rocks in first the filled in the sand that way there woulde no chances of the rocks becoming unstable
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 8:39 am

If you ever get a chance ...do some video. I would love to check out that tank live. Very nice.
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 8:56 am

jeb102385 wrote:
there are 100+ Demasoni and 20 synodontis petricola i havent had them start digging yet but i p the rocks in first the filled in the sand that way there woulde no chances of the rocks becoming unstable

Before and After 393849 Sounds well planned!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 9:21 am

wow nice tank!!, i totally agree with KMX about the digging, they will open a hole thru the other side of the rocks if you let them lol...
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime1/7/2011, 8:00 pm

Nice Tank!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Before and After Empty
PostSubject: Re: Before and After   Before and After Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Before and After
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: General Freshwater Fish Discussion-
Jump to: