UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

hey FishVixen..........

Go down 
+2
Elrollo
schmidtylv
6 posters
AuthorMessage
schmidtylv
Private First Class
Private First Class

hey FishVixen.......... Empty
PostSubject: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 11:27 pm

Earlier today you gave me some tips about starting some small planted tanks.... quick question....

do you rinse the poting soil before you put it in the tank or not????

maybe a dumb question but i've never put dirt in a fishtank before
Back to top Go down
schmidtylv
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 11:29 pm

by the way... I have no idea how to send a personal message on this forum
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 12:17 am

You want to boil the soil use top soil not potting..potting has alot of chemicals included (aka fertilizers) that might hurt your fish.It also has little foam pearls of fertilizer that want to float around your tank and clog your brand new canister filter....No I swear never happened to me never..

To boil it stick some in a pillow case put the pillow case in the water let it boil...you can tie a loose knot in the top of the pillowcase.

To send a PM go to messages select <New Threead> type in persons name follow directions from there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 12:18 am

To send a PM just click the persons avatar or name when the screen come up hit contact.

Potting soil be sure there are no additive like fertilizer. (usually the cheapest has none). I put about an inch to 2 inches in the bottom add a little water just to pack it. No rinsing. then cover all the soil with a layer of pea gravel. (1/4th to 1/2 inches). Put in about an inch of water over the stones. start planting plants and decorate. I put a piece of plastic wrap over everything and slowly pour the water on the plastic and fill your tank then add the fish don't wait to add fish as the plants need the ammonia. This tank was an instant cycle it never showed ammonia. Your tank may look murky for a few days but will settle. Run a HOB and it will clear up quickly. Mine is over 2 years now.

Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 12:19 am

you send a personal message by clicking on the pm button found under the post by the person you want to message. this button can also be found by clicking on the person profile name and then clicking on contact. let me know if you have anymore questions about the site.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 12:22 am

You can use potting soil. Top soil has a larger amount of twigs and leaves so it softens your water but can also leach tannins into the water and create yellow or brown water if you use top soil you boil it to get the tannins out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 9:10 am

hey FishVixen.......... 858205
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 3:12 pm

how about sand in top of the soil? potting soil? do u guys recomed eny brand?
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 4:48 pm

I agree! super Advice!!

yes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 6:02 pm

Cheapest potting soil you can find. Sand has a tendency to collect gas under the sand so I prefer gravel.
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 6:07 pm

even if your using live plants vix?
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Favorite Fish: : Stingrays
Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 7:43 pm

FishVixen wrote:
boil it to get the tannins out.

But why would you want to do that???? ;o)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 9:34 pm

Yes with live plants as it' poisonous methane type gas that builds up in the soil and needs to be released. If you use sand (which I have in 2 tanks) use a chop stick and punch the sand to release the gas once a week.
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 12:46 am

James0816 wrote:
FishVixen wrote:
boil it to get the tannins out.

But why would you want to do that???? ;o)

Yeah you want to boil the soil...you never know what growing/living on it....tons of tannins left after boiling
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 12:49 am

You only need to boil top soil. Not potting soil.
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 7:17 am

I was just funnin about boiling to remove the tannins. I personally like the tannins.

:)
Back to top Go down
schmidtylv
Private First Class
Private First Class

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 9:01 am

Set up the first of the three tanks yesterday. Looks pretty good. Definately have tannins but I kind of like it. It looks natural. Moved a couple of fish in from my 50g and they seem fine. Gotta wait another 3 weeks before I set up the other two tanks...

Thanks all for all the advice!!!!

I did learn that out here in Vegas my aquatic plant selection is very limited... any suggestions on where to get plants online for future tanks?
Back to top Go down
James0816
Captain
Captain
James0816

Otocinclus Catfish
Kuhli Loaches

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 9:27 am

schmidtylv wrote:
Definately have tannins but I kind of like it. It looks natural.

YES!! I have converted another one! My missions are successfull after all. Soon everyone will have tannins!! crazy banana dance
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 11:57 am

I get my plants from others on the forms as you pay less and usually bigger and better plant. This time of year though it's to cold to ship. If you want a specific plant try aquabid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hey FishVixen..........   hey FishVixen.......... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hey FishVixen..........
Page 1 of 1