UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

I made some transport buckets :-)

Go down 
+11
jaiko1975
mike205
Elrollo
ornate12
BFinley
Holey Rock of Texas
pillierox1
KMX
alkomist
CajunGator
elfwolfe
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

I made some transport buckets :-) Empty
PostSubject: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 1:50 pm

Thanks to Fern and her dividers post, I got some creative juices going. I will be moving in January and there are a few fish I do not want to get rid of (mainly my Syn.) and because this drive would take a few days, I could not just put them in bags... So to keep them seperated so they wont gauge each other, I came up with this idea-
I made some transport buckets :-) Img_0222

This is the one that will hold some fish other than Syn. in the center portion-
I made some transport buckets :-) Img_0223
I made some transport buckets :-) Img_0224
I made some transport buckets :-) Img_0225

and this one is for Syn.-
I made some transport buckets :-) Img_0226
I made some transport buckets :-) Img_0227
I made some transport buckets :-) Img_0228

In both boxes, the dividers are ankered with silicone. I started to use silicone to "glue" the dividers together, but that plan got replaced with small zipties carefully placed so the fish will not have contact with them. Both boxes will only be filled to half way, and the only thing I have left to do is plug the remaining holes in the handles (where the air hose is going into the box) with silicone.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 2:06 pm

well done. very interesting... good luck on your move!
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 2:15 pm

thats a pretty nifty idea their!!!!!!!!
pretty smart and i hope the move goes well!!!!!
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 2:16 pm

I made some transport buckets :-) 393849
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 2:55 pm

good luck on ur move and hope that works good for ya!!!!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 3:18 pm

very cool. if the move will take a while you might want to look inot solving the water temp problem.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 3:49 pm

well if u keep ur car very warm to keep the temp of the water good u can do that.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 4:15 pm

since she is going to eb driving for a few days to get to her new location i would suggest bringing the fish inside with you where ever you go and traveling with the fish in the cab of the car. good luck, they should be fine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 4:49 pm

Wow nice DIY transport! I use this type bucket and the temp will change quickly in them. What I do is insulate them with cheap blankets from thrift stores or yard sales. Just put blankets around them to insulate. It also darkens the clear plastic so less stress
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

Favorite Fish: : graduating from community fish to aggressive fish (cichlids), but will always have a soft spot for my krbs and betta's.

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 5:24 pm

Holey Rock of Texas wrote:
since she is going to eb driving for a few days to get to her new location i would suggest bringing the fish inside with you where ever you go and traveling with the fish in the cab of the car. good luck, they should be fine.

yep, that was the plan. Since we will be in Azle for a few days they would be going inside the house (no mater how much the MiL objects... she will already hate that we will have three dogs and two cats with us, lol), and then anywhere we will be for more than a few minutes they will go inside too.

FishVixen wrote:
Wow nice DIY transport! I use this type bucket and the temp will change quickly in them. What I do is insulate them with cheap blankets from thrift stores or yard sales. Just put blankets around them to insulate. It also darkens the clear plastic so less stress

Thanks for the suggesion Vixen, I will wrap them in bankets (hadnt thought about that part yet, but knew they would be inside the vehicle with me), and the last thing I want is to stress them out more than needed. I got the idea of making the box because when I tansported the Syn. from my friends house to mine (with no dividers) one of them ended up with a gash in its side from another one.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 5:37 pm

Those are cool buckets for transportion.Good luck on the move and have a safe trip!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 5:58 pm

Be sure to have extra batteries for the pumps as some pumps use up batteries quickly.
Back to top Go down
elfwolfe
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
Chief Wrnt. Off. 2
elfwolfe

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 6:07 pm

FishVixen wrote:
Be sure to have extra batteries for the pumps as some pumps use up batteries quickly.

Will do, I will also take some regular wall plug pumps for when we take them inside too, then I would not have to worry about the batteries giving out in the middle of the night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 7:07 pm

good Fantastic idea!!!
You should get one pack of this stuff http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/polyfilter.html It will suck up the ammonia and gobbledygook and keep the water good without running a filter. Just quarter sized pieces in each bin and put new ones in every day or every other day.
Back to top Go down
ornate12
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
ornate12

Favorite Fish: : Ornate Bichirs, Synodontis Angelicus, Filamentosus barb,
Aristochromis Christyi, Ptychochromis Grandidieri and all other Madagascar cichlids.

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 7:52 pm

Hi what a great ideal, If you are already using a battery pump you may want to consider using a seasoned sponge filter. I would also stop the feedings a few days before the move. just a thought
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 8:14 pm

Another consideration is using an DC/AC inverter. that way you can have AC in your vehicle for more air pumps for air bubblers, sponge filters, and heaters if that is an issure. i never travel without them. lol
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 10:38 pm

You also might want to reinforce the bottoms with a peice of plywood...water is heavy and sometimes those containers just cannot take the weight...

Inverters are good Idea saves you on batteries and you can use it on later road trips to watch movies/fish videos
Back to top Go down
mike205
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
mike205

Favorite Fish: : peacocks and koi

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/7/2010, 10:53 pm

i made some out of 5 gallon buckets and a bubble box aerator you should be fine on batteries mine last 72 hours
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 1:48 am

but it's going to be a several day trip. Inverters work great also
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 5:42 am

nice idea. yes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 6:46 am

I wouldn't worry with reinforcing, just bring a jug of prime and when you have to move them is when you do your water change, drop the water to a lift-able amount and refill when you get them in.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 7:12 am

thats a great idea, good work!!
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/8/2010, 9:12 am

u can always use tetramine to sedate them for the trip
Back to top Go down
plantedtankdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
plantedtankdude

Favorite Fish: : all of them along with mermaids and me I'm a Pisces.

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/29/2010, 10:23 pm

um very interesting, I'm going to have to build a diy for my fish... I also transport fish around and just use a home depot bucket.
Back to top Go down
76dragon
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime12/30/2010, 7:25 am

Good idea. DIY
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I made some transport buckets :-)   I made some transport buckets :-) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I made some transport buckets :-)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next