UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?

Go down 
+2
KMX
bcijoe
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Empty
PostSubject: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 10:32 am

Got my hands on a 37g tall with cabinet stand and am looking to set it up in my room as a display tank. Not much room for it elsewhere... lol...

Since it's tall, I know it won't be great for more african cichlids, so what exactly can I put in there? H E L P !!

I'm starting to like Discus after seeing Fern's... but am cash poor and not ready to spend a few hundred to acquire a few nice specimens. $$$ no no Hand talk

I'm thinking some nice angels and something for the bottom area - like apistogrammas...? They are very nice, as I have recently discovered... drool

Any other suggestions?

I believe the measurements of the tank are 30"x12"x22".

Same footprint as a 29g, but about 5-6" higher.

thanks
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 10:37 am

Victorians. Conservaton! Help out a species that is in need of reproduction. Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? 690297

Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 11:08 am

I've got some fulus in a 29g now, and have two more groups in the works, but the only way they utilize the top half of the tank is because I have a rainbow shark in there now who has claimed their caves...

he is being removed soon, he is chasing them all away...

i'm scared he may stress my holding female or try to take her fry from her... if that's even possible?

so wouldn't it be a waste of space?
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 11:12 am

I just turned around and saw my male fulu in full color for the first time, and he is chasing away the females... ?! is he trying to act dominant in front of the shark or trying to impress the females?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 11:25 am

bcijoe wrote:
I've got some fulus in a 29g now, and have two more groups in the works, but the only way they utilize the top half of the tank is because I have a rainbow shark in there now who has claimed their caves...

he is being removed soon, he is chasing them all away...

i'm scared he may stress my holding female or try to take her fry from her... if that's even possible?

so wouldn't it be a waste of space?

Take the rainbow shark out if he is causing trouble. He can harrase the female enough to where she spits or swallows. But no he will not try and take them from her.

bcijoe wrote:
I just turned around and saw my male fulu in full color for the first time, and he is chasing away the females... ?! is he trying to act dominant in front of the shark or trying to impress the females?

He is displaying his color to the female. He wants some action. Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? 772341
Back to top Go down
alkomist
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
alkomist

Favorite Fish: :

┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘
┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘ ┌(ಠ_ಠ)┘

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 11:27 am

yea make into a SW tank!
you wont be disapointed!
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 11:29 am

thanks for the suggestions, but no SW anytime soon... way too much money and work for what I can handle right now.

Keep the suggestions coming please!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 6:21 pm

Planted tank with one angel and a school of tetras and corys.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 6:45 pm

That sounds great Jill!

If only I can improve my green thumb and actually get plants to grow well, and that big! nearly 2' tall!

That would look awesome!

What kind of tetras and what kind of corys??? hmmm...

suggestions?

I would say maybe cardinals, or the white finned rosy tetras I like so much, or pristela tetras, or ember tetras, or...

and corys... hmmm...

this is fun...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 6:49 pm

Just about any small community tetra and just about any cory.... The one angel would be your centerpiece fish. I say one because any more would fight unless they are a pair.
Just look at PH, GH and temp when your figuring out what you want in there.
I will help you with the plants, most of the ones in lfs are farm raise and go into shock when put in tanks and half of them die.... So its not just you!
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 7:57 pm

breed your fish and use the tank for raising the fry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 8:02 pm

Thats also a good idea.
Back to top Go down
jm42
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 9:04 pm

You should get some Leopard Corys"Corydoras Leopardus"!!
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/19/2010, 10:10 pm

I remember having a school of 10 or 12 dwarf corys when I had a planted 55g and that looked awesome... can't think what kind they were right now... oh, Panda's! love em

also, fry and stuff is good, but this is a 37 tall... very tall... I wanted to make a display tank and utilize the entire height, which is why I first said discuss or angels..

I wish they had miniature ocean sunfish that you can keep in FW tanks... anyone ever see one of those? such a bizarre fish...
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 12:43 am

With it being a tall tank you can actually split zones up and have some nice top water fish like african butterflies...mids angels, congo tetras...bottom a few cory, loaches,,ect.

Good luck with it sounds like fun
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 1:48 am

I love butterflys but they're so expensive these days!

I love congos too but they get big so I really couldn't put many in there... they need lots of room to swim around... I had about a dozen or so in my 125g at one point... beautiful fish!

So far i'm thinking what fern said... one big angel, a school of tetras and corys, in a planted tank...

sounds good and low maintenance, low power = quiet, since it's in my bedroom.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 9:35 am

I think the butterfly's run about $10
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 10:06 am

really? i usually see them for $15.99 at chain lfs's.. if your place has them for $10, that would be nice...

are they territorial? has anyone heard about keeping more than one together?

I know I usually get two or three, but seems like always, after a short time, only have one left.. one jumps out, one dies.. coincidence?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime11/20/2010, 7:13 pm

They are territorial but if you want 2 of them I can help you set it up so it will work, I've done lots of research on them! Hell I'll even give you the needed plants, they are just so cool but I don't have a tank for any so I can just come by and look at yours funny
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?   Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting a 37g tall - any suggestions?
Page 1 of 1