UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

attempting to breed discus

Go down 
+2
dano
Marlboro Red
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

attempting to breed discus Empty
PostSubject: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 8:26 am

Here is a pic of the 45g tall that the pair is in
attempting to breed discus DSCN3729
It has a heater, 2 sponge filters a little bit of wood with a java fern on it and a filter intake tube suction cupped to the tank wall. They bred all 3 times in the community tank on the filter intake tube so I gave them one as their spawning site attempting to breed discus 393849
The pair;
Tiger is the female
attempting to breed discus DSCN3707
And Scarface is the male
attempting to breed discus DSCN3704

They took very good care of the eggs in the 90g community but they were getting too rough on all the other discus in there so I needed to move them out. Lets see how they do in their own tank and see if I can manage to get fry from them crazy
Back to top Go down
Marlboro Red
Private
Private
Marlboro Red

Favorite Fish: : marlboro red discus followed by lepord wrasse

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 9:13 am

ok little suggestion on your set up paint the back and the sides so they have alittle privacy lol...add a breeding cone or some slate so they have a place to spawn. Terracotta pots will work aswell just need to get it up off the bottom a couple inches.Feed blood worms and live brine and when they go free swimming lower the water colum in the tank to about half way will make it easier for the free swiming to attch to the parents to feed and will kind of stress the parents making them produce more mucus for the fry to eat.
I would alos suggest since its bare bottom to use a 29 gallon and keep the 45 for a grow out tank i think its the same foot print as the 45 just not as tall then you dont have to lower the water collum
Back to top Go down
Marlboro Red
Private
Private
Marlboro Red

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 9:14 am

oh and turn the heater sideways and place it about 2-3 inches off the bottom and torwards the middle that will keep them from placing eggs on it and will disturbute the heat more equally thruout the tank
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 9:31 am

Well they are cleaning the filter intake tubing I have on the wall so odds are they will stick with that, I had marble tile leaning against the tank walls in the main tank and they always went for the filter intake.

Hmmm setting the heater like that may be an issue, I don't think I have any suction cups for that one..... Its just hanging in the corner over one of the sponges now so that the water movement will carry the heat along with it. I could see if I have enough cord to lay it on the bottom?

I never ever paint tanks, the 90g they were in is in a high traffic area and they never seemed to care. Now they are tucked back against a wall in my fish room without much traffic.

I have been feeding them live black worms, frozen blood worms and brine and NLS pellets, those have been the staple food since I got them. I have been increasing the meaty stuff since I moved them 2 days ago.

The 45g is the only tank I have free at the moment and I really don't want to move them again, Tiger got pissed when I moved her, I had to watch her for quite some time to be sure she was ok even though I filled the 45g with water from the 90g.

45g is the same footprint as a 30g and a 29g is the same footprint as a 20g long.
Back to top Go down
Marlboro Red
Private
Private
Marlboro Red

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 10:11 am

the thing about the tile is it isnt long/tall enough the breeding cones are about 12-16 inches in length from top to bottom and have a cup like area around the bottom to catch eggs that fall, slate is good because you can break it down to what you need for your tank.The terra cotta pots work but over time alage will grow on them and you have to boil them first and have to set them about 2-4 inches off the bottom so the fish can make their run at it. I suggested painting because you moved them from one tank with lots of fish to a tank with nothing in it and the paited back and saide and bottom will make them alittle more secure with their surroundings oh and since you have moved them it might take them a month or two to get back into the swing of course you can try some Barry White music to see if will help lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 10:27 am

The tank has a dark tinted bottom.
They really don't seem insecure (I refuse to paint tanks) if 3-4 months go by with nothing then I may consider taping something to the back and sides.

If they don't go for the intake tube then I will look at all the local garden centers and see what they have that would be suitable.
By the looks of it they will spawn again within 3 days, tubes are down and they are busily cleaning the filter tube.

I do have 34 tanks 2 kids and a dog...... I got the discus to be my 'pretty fish' in the only show tank. If they do breed that's fantastic, if they don't that's ok too.
I pretty much moved them because Scarface was trying to kill Orange Soda for laying eggs in the 90g.....
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 12:23 pm

I have used 1 1/2 to 2 inch dia black or grey PVC pipe long enough to go from bottom to top when leaned in a corner of a tank.....I also had some slate strips about 3 inches wide that would go from top to bottom when leaned in the tank................I have a friend that uses the plastic sword plants that are a foot or so tall.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 4:35 pm

You may want to put 3 different areas for them as they may move the eggs and wigglers to another spot like angels do.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 5:05 pm

OH YAAAA, its on. looks good fern. keep doin what your doin.
whats the w/c regimine?
i wish i had some CBW to feed my discus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 5:40 pm

w/c will be tomorrow and the day after. then hopefully I can get one in during my work week (wed-fri) then small daily or every other day during my off time.

I'm leery about leaning stuff on the tank walls in a bare bottom tank.... it could slip down and that could be bad.....

If what they have doesn't work I can see what else I can find locally that would be close to what yall mentioned attempting to breed discus 393849

Looks like Orange Soda is wanting to pair up Rolling Eyes What did I get myself into? funny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/7/2010, 8:21 pm

That's why a realy nice strain is so expensive hybrids are all over the place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/9/2010, 7:34 am

Huston we have eggs! On the intake tube as predicted funny

Now can I do a 1/2 dose of meth blue? Or just let it be and see what happens?
The eggs aren't as thick and even as usual, they are more scattered........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/9/2010, 10:28 am

They are both fanning and mouthing the eggs better than they usually do! Scarface is helping a lot more, I'm guessing because he doesn't have to defend them now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/9/2010, 10:47 am

If you have the meth blue on hand I would half dose but if they are tend to them well I would not be to worried about it. You know the drill pick off the white ones and pray. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/9/2010, 10:53 am

I have meth blue, its a staple in my fish room lol! So use it or not?
They are tending to them quite well so far....
Yup safety pin to pluck off the bad ones if they don't attempting to breed discus 393849
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/9/2010, 10:59 am

I'd use it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/9/2010, 11:31 am

ok!
Back to top Go down
Marlboro Red
Private
Private
Marlboro Red

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/9/2010, 5:45 pm

only use the meth blue if you pull the eggs not with the fish in the tank and if the continue to spawn on the tube get some of the egg crate from lowes the kind that they put over the celing lights comes in i think a 2foot by 4 fooy sheet of 1/2 in squares and block it off so that cant get to it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/9/2010, 6:25 pm

Ok I put some poly-filter cloth in the tank to pull out the meth blue......
So far they haven't eaten their good eggs.... if that happens I will make a guard for it.

They are still fanning away at the eggs and doing a good job, both parents are well slime coated, making a few slime strings even!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/10/2010, 8:30 am

And the eggs are gone.......Looks like I need to make a little cage thing to put over them next time......
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/10/2010, 8:38 am

man that sux but ur getting closer every time tho!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/10/2010, 9:06 am

Very true!
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/10/2010, 9:08 am

lol better than i can do i do some retarded mistakes, i think its the blond that coming thru lol
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/10/2010, 10:37 am

I know those will have some awesome babies!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime11/10/2010, 10:47 am

I hope so!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: attempting to breed discus   attempting to breed discus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

attempting to breed discus
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next