UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

Getting 2 snakeskins!

Go down 
+7
alan j t
istrober
Holey Rock of Texas
jaiko1975
Arkangel77
BFinley
KMX
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/3/2010, 1:56 pm

First topic message reminder :

That's the bad thing about working at a fish store Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 196631 I saw 2 little snake-skins and fell in love with them! I threw together a 40g breeder for them to be in till they get a clean bill of health! I will post pics after I go get them!
Looks like my 120g tall will end up being converted to a discus tank crazy
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 5:57 pm

The bigger one has a dent in his face, I'm guessing its a genetic defect so I wont breed him when hes older.
Anywhooo I got some new pics! Sorry about the quality, they are hard to get pics of!So heres the best I have. Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3804Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3803Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3802Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3801Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3799Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3797
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 6:47 pm

they look lkie have some serious potential fern.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 6:50 pm

I hope so!
The one with the best color is the one with the dent in his face.... I'm hoping the other ones (Cuddles) color comes in better when they get moved over to the 90g with the others. Right now the larger one is picking on her a bunch.....
So 2 week QT sound good to you? If so they only have 1 more week to go. They both look good and are eating like pigs.
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/11/2010, 10:12 pm

i tell ya fern, i really hate mixing discus from different sources. it can be a really big pain in the neck. now this is a myth but hear me out.

if the discus from your 90 gallon are from here, as in domestcated in the USA
and the 2 SS in your QT are from the east like malaysia or what not, there could be some thing they are carrying they will/could affect your discus in your 90gallon.

if you have used the same hose or played with both tanks without giving your hands a good cleaning and your discus dont show any sighns of bacteria infection or darkening you should be fine.

but wait another 2-4 weeks. they look great and there eating. but the stress could trigger an issue from moving them to your main tank and thats where the problems occur.

thats why they reccomend QT from shipping, the stress causes the issues.
good luck. but i see your fish are in good hands
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 7:31 pm

I can ask where they came from, my guess is a FL fish farm. They were at my lfs for 2 weeks in QT without issue. I am hitting them with general cure by API per my boss's advice, he said it kills off most of the common discus parasites and what not.

The guys in my 90g were born and raised about 10 minutes from my house.

Hmmmm, so 4 weeks? I may have to move them in from the garage then.... I'm having to juggle the power out there to keep from tripping a breaker....
So if I move them it may flair any issue they have? I would prefer to get that over and done with before I even think of adding them to the 90g.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/12/2010, 7:57 pm

Possibilty but uve been doing a general cure.then they should be fine, wait 4 weeks before u move them tho so u domt stress them out by moving them so often. But thats my opinion.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2010, 1:25 am

They look good. The dent head could change over time could get better or worst. The photos are not your best so I can't see the dent. I'm sure you will get more. I have a red SS discus I'm looking to get a blue ss soon. I really like them. It's addictive you want to collect all the discus you can.

Yes they say 3 weeks is best to QT. But most problems will show up at 2 weeks IME. Discus are no differant then other fish in what they can catch. I find them just as hardy as my other fish. People are more careful with discus because of the price. 2 weeks should be enough. No need to treat fish with meds unless you know they are sick. Less is best when it comes to fish meds.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2010, 10:16 am

I want some Discus,but I don't think I'm ready yet.Very nice Fern!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2010, 12:21 pm

Its the lighting, that's why I cant get any decent pics.
You think the dent in the face is genetic? I know no definite answer is possible without a decent picture but what would it usually be?
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2010, 2:39 pm

Man I have seen this post for the last 2 weeks and I kept thinking wow Fern getting "Snakeheads" does not seem like her cup of tea. Now that I look at the post I realize dyslexia kicked in a bit lol!

Nice looking fish Fern
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2010, 4:11 pm

lol! Noooo snakeheads are evil!
Yaaa I've read a few posts like that lol!
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2010, 4:38 pm

This is a little late, but do not medicate with anything until you have symptoms that you can clearly identify........................When you get new fish they are stressed from being shifted around in different water and temp conditions, not to mention all the "potions" that the shippers and distributors put in their water......When you get them home that too is stressful so why add more cr@p to their water.

Let them acclimate and settle down then watch them........If you find that something is amiss with the fish, do a lot of watching and try to match what you are seeing with established disease charts........Do not medicate on a guess or silly suggestions........Most new fish can have bacterial issues, fungus, or parasites, but it is usually just the water quality changes......Maracyn. Maracyn II, or Quick Cure will usually fix things up if you see identifiable disease....Jungle Parasite Rid Tank Buddies if you actually see parasites......................This goes for any new fish not only Discus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/13/2010, 8:26 pm

That's how I usually do it.... But I was asking my boss how long I should QT them for and he asked me if I was treating them with anything and he suggested one shot of the general cure. They had been settled into the 40g QT tank for a week before I treated. But good to know.
How long would you QT them? This Wednesday will be week 2 and they have looked good from the beginning, they also had the standard 2 week QT at the LFS I work at, without any issues there either.
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

Favorite Fish: : South American Ciclids and plecos. I will always love my bettas but have moved on.

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/14/2010, 9:16 pm

Any yes the dent in the head can be genetic but with young fish it could change as they grow and fill in the dent can get better or if it is some deformity it might get worst. Only time will tell. I would like to see photo of these guys once they are all settled in because they do look good so far. Nice shape good size eyes.

Keep us posted on how they do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 4:30 pm

Here is the larger one with the dent in his face. The smaller one (Cuddles) needs some more time to fatten up so she is going to stay in QT for another week or so.
Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3864Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3866Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3867Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3868Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3868Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3871Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3872
Even if I cant breed him his colors are turning out to be very very nice, they just suck now because he is getting acclimated.
Back to top Go down
pillierox1
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
pillierox1

Favorite Fish: : okay i dont know wat my fav anymore just want more lol

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 4:35 pm

very cute!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 5:05 pm

Now that he is in the tank he looks much better! He/she needs a name......
Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3882Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3887Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3886Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3885Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3884Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 DSCN3883
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 5:40 pm

he/she looks very good fern
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/23/2010, 5:46 pm

cheers
Back to top Go down
snowflake311
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
Chief Wrnt. Off. 3
snowflake311

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 12:18 am

Yeah they look good and should get better and better as they grow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 10:43 am

have a name yet!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 4:35 pm

Not yet.... Chip fits him but doesn't at the same time....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 6:01 pm

If you're old enough to remember Snagalpuss the cat He seems like he would talk like that. Exit stage right! snagalpuss is a good name.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 8:43 pm

Well I asked the kids to give me a bunch of names and they named off a few then they both said "Bubbles" at once so he is now named Bubbles!!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 9:03 am

Bubbles! nice name, wow your Discus are getting A+ coloring.. good job!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/1/2010, 10:13 am

They are happy little goofs for sure!!

Once Cuddles gets a tad bigger she is getting moved into the 90g as well
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting 2 snakeskins!   Getting 2 snakeskins! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting 2 snakeskins!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
UsaFishBox :: :: Freshwater Aquaria :: Discus-
Jump to: