UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?

Go down 
+8
wildbeanerz
jaiko1975
BFinley
CajunGator
istrober
Elrollo
KMX
bcijoe
12 posters
AuthorMessage
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Empty
PostSubject: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 8:39 pm

I went to look at a stand today, iron, for a 75g/90g.

The plan was to put a 90g on top and a 75g on bottom. fish

It wasn't what I expected. Instead of having the normal frame, the front corner legs weren't there, and instead it was those fancy, thin, curly bars connecting from top to bottom.

That is what I sometimes see on 5g or 10g stands, NOT on a 90g stand!

Those curly bars didn't look sturdy at all, and they weren't even welded under the top frame for best support, but simply to the side of the top of the frame?!

I definitely did not feel comfortable with putting over 1,000 pounds on this thing... 90g tank, water, sand, rocks, wood, covers, equiptment, etc.

Has anyone ever seen this, or does anyone have one like this with a full tank on it?

Another thing was that the space underneath seemed shorter than the space would be on a normal stand with the standard straight frame all the way around.
It was only about 19-20", meaning if I put the 75g under there, I would have less than 2" to work with... in other words, not happening.

Is it possible this stand was made for terrariums, and not loaded aquariums?

I may purchase it later for keeping several 10g-20g's on it, maybe others, but definitely not a full 90g. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 8:59 pm

worthlesswopic

lol!
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 9:54 pm

yeah, didn't think to get a pic because really didn't think I would be getting it for its intended purpose.

Will look it up now in google images to see if I could find what it looked like and post.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 10:05 pm

Here it is!

Exactly this, sans glass, in length and width for a 75g/90g (48"x18")

See what I mean?

Looking at it in this pics makes it look even worse to me!

What do you think?

Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? TEMPSTAND
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/1/2010, 10:59 pm

Man I would not trust that stand to hold almost 1000lbs of wieght...much less another tank on the bottom...Just my $.02

Is it an actual fish stand??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 12:45 am

if you use it be sure to get flood insurance because to me it looks like a 75 gal let alone a 90 gal would be all over the floor.
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 3:17 am

exactly what i'm saying!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 6:14 am

If a acrylic stand is holding my 55gl tank, i dont see why a iron stand will not hold a 90gl... good luck!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 7:34 am

I also think it's built as a reptile tank
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 7:53 am

Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? 858205
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 7:59 am

No, it would fail very quick!
Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 8:01 am

Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 8:27 am

I think it all depends on how thick the metal is. If it's thin and the table is a little wabbley I would not do it. If I had to 2nd guess myself I would not do it. That is a lot of water and fish on the floor if all goes wrong. It is easy to build a stand from wood. I am the worst handy man with tools and what not and I still built some pretty dam nice stands. lol!
Back to top Go down
Elrollo
Major
Major
Elrollo

Favorite Fish: : Blue Acaras...first fish I ever breed still have a soft spot for them

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 9:14 am

Back to top Go down
jaiko1975
jaiko1975

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 9:24 am

Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 9:51 am

I had a stand exactly like that but for a 29 gallon. I used it for years with no trouble but that is only a third of what you are talking about putting on there!
Back to top Go down
vman
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 10:06 am

Last edited by vman on 11/26/2010, 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wildbeanerz
Captain
Captain
wildbeanerz

Favorite Fish: : Love my black ocellaris!

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 1:51 pm

vman wrote:
Boy you can see how long most of you have been in the hobby . lol These stands were the fancy stands that we sold in the 70's & 80's before the wood craze hit . never seen 1 fail ...

My stand like that was bought new at a pet store in 1995. Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? 393849
Back to top Go down
Shaysfishys
Captain
Captain
Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 2:30 pm

Have 2 old metal stands like that, one has 55 on top & 45 on the bottom the other has a 35 & 20L, they are lots stronger than they appear
Back to top Go down
bcijoe
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1
bcijoe

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 4:54 pm

pretty much what I thought...
-i've seen them before, but on much smaller tank stands
-I did have to second guess it
-it didn't look safe enough to put 1,000+ pounds on it
-I did think perhaps it was built for terarriums only

and in closing, 90g of water and fish on the floor is not something I want to risk...

so most of you agreed with this, like I figured you would, just wanted to be sure...

Thanks again guys!
Back to top Go down
hydrodmg
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

Favorite Fish: : broiled or grilled just not fried

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 5:47 pm

they are built like a truss i have one holding dual 29 gallon tanks
but i always empty the top one first and never the bottom
Back to top Go down
alan j t
Major
Major
alan j t

Favorite Fish: : discus

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 6:41 pm

it looks like a table that sits behind a couch and you put flowers and such.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime11/2/2010, 10:24 pm

Iron is strong but welds will get weak and if it's used who knows how old it is or what it's been through. I just would not trust it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?   Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Think a stand like this will hold a full 90g tank ?
Page 1 of 1