UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus?

Go down 
    5 posters
    AuthorMessage
    bcijoe
    Warrant Officer 1
    Warrant Officer 1
    bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus? Empty
    PostSubject: Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus?   Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus? Icon_minitime10/27/2010, 5:52 pm

So I found a single specimen at an LFS and then within a week found the same at another LFS, and again at another. It was an oddity at 2 of those shops.

From what I had been told, they grew a bit large, about 6"-12" but weren't so aggressive.

Then I started reading and also found different results, but it seems like they can be much more aggressive as initially thought.

I heard them to be fin pickers, and have already experienced quite a bit of that... even with fish much larger than them. Had the last of some butterfly koi when I brought them home, and some pacu that are being moved soon, and both had their fins torn.

I've also heard to feed them lots of algae wafers to keep them happy.

Anyone out their with first hand experience raising these?

I currently have them in a mix of medium-large community and semi aggressive fish and was wanting to know what I would need to do, who to move, who to sell, etc.

I bought three at about 2" and within a month or less they are already double in size.

Thanks in advance!
    Back to top Go down
    Shaysfishys
    Captain
    Captain
    Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus?   Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus? Icon_minitime10/27/2010, 7:09 pm

These are a personal favorite fish of mine well at least top 10!! Was working with them towards breeding anyways here's my personal experience for what its worth.

Adults my smallest one was 10" the largest was 15", they like to eat!! Mine were not fin nippers they lived with a combination of Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, Hypescelera Temparalis and some misc africans that I was growing out with them when they were young. They were hell at devestating fry, "pack hunters" and very good at it. When they start getting to breeding size they will get a bit testier but do some extremely cool synchronized swimming displays. The tougher the roommates the better off you will be to some extent.

They grow very fast but slow a bit between 6-8" then take off again, one of the fastest growing fish I've raised other than livebearers.

Algea wafers yay and nay, some like them some don't.

Heads up!! they are jumpers!! they can jump threw a knothole, if you go to catch them when they start getting a bit more size on them lower your water level 4-6" at least, they run wild dolphins for their money when it comes to this. Even though mine had very regular water changes they never got used to it, freaked when they seen a net and were always flighty.

Water chemistry they are flexible though never tried hard water, temp 78 - 82F.
    If I can think of anything I'll be sure and post it.
    Back to top Go down
    bcijoe
    Warrant Officer 1
    Warrant Officer 1
    bcijoe

Favorite Fish: : Betta, Pacu, Clown Loach, Alfbn Pleco, Yellow Fin Barb (Lemon Barb), White Fin Rosy Tetra, Congo Tetra, more

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus?   Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus? Icon_minitime10/27/2010, 7:15 pm

Thanks, good stuff! Yes I did hear about the jumping which is why I quickly covered the top, just about every inch. half inch or so gaps here and there, but that's it.

I was reading that someone had them with other fish, and the other fish would disappear. They were being eaten. The leoporinus also always wanted to hide in a cave, so he eventually moved it into its own tank with a cave and that's where it stayed.
    Back to top Go down
    nitty
    nitty

Favorite Fish: : Mine:
    110gal. Eclectochromis Lobochilus Hertae
    56gal. Neolamprologus Brichardi

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus?   Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus? Icon_minitime10/27/2010, 7:29 pm

I kept a few years ago in a peaceful S.American tank.
    They did well with my severums. They use to get fin rot
    and cloudy eyes, but for the most part they stayed very
    healthy and "VERY" active (as far as swimming around on
    the bottom).
    Back to top Go down
    Shaysfishys
    Captain
    Captain
    Shaysfishys

Favorite Fish: : Just about all of them!!

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus?   Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus? Icon_minitime10/27/2010, 7:49 pm

Did have one get stuck in a decoration once (was crazy made a emergency run to Albany to the closest fish person I knew for help LOL), that is something to make sure they can fit thru. They did hang out on occassion in the swim thru rock work but for the most part were out swimming around.

They will eat dead/dying fish, JME

Why I said "pack hunters", had 7 in my group all adults and when one of the Labeos would spit they were right there waiting.

Nittys right on the cloudy eye they will be the first to let you know if you water is off, nitrates high and such
    Back to top Go down
    intensitti
    Staff Sergeant
    Staff Sergeant
    intensitti

Favorite Fish: : Angels and Discus

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus?   Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus? Icon_minitime10/27/2010, 8:22 pm

I have 3 in my 100g with 2 8 inch pacu, upside down cat, silver tipped sharks, and a couple of gouramis. No fin nipping going on. they are active and will eat anything including fresh veggies.
    Back to top Go down
    FishWithTeethLover
    Private First Class
    Private First Class
    FishWithTeethLover

Favorite Fish: : All Central American Cichlids, Umbie, Red Festae, Red Tail Catfish, Tigrinus Catfish, Tiger Shovel Nose Catfish, Clown Knives, All Large Pikes, Haplochromis and Large Growing Mbuna.

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus?   Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus? Icon_minitime1/20/2011, 12:22 pm

Great fish, own three 12inch plus and they hold their own with fish far more aggressive. The largest most dominant one can be aggressive at times. He will go head to head with my male jag. I have kept them with africans as well and they fit right in.
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus?   Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any experience with Leoporinus Fasciatus?
    Page 1 of 1