UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Go down 
+9
CajunGator
MarkM
unknown
BFinley
istrober
sal
CSnyder00
KMX
goodpick
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
goodpick
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
goodpick

Favorite Fish: : Just love fish

newbie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: newbie   newbie - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/8/2010, 9:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello i am a new fish lover well i have always loved fish but never had the time for a tank but now i do. i have a 30 gallon with six tetra in it and i am thinking about getting a 55 gallon for my living room the 30 gallon is in the bedroom. I was wanting to know what is a good big fish for my 30 gallon that will get along with the tetra and what is a good aggressive for the 55 gallon?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage

newbie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie   newbie - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/9/2010, 4:21 pm

your best investment is a freshwater master test kit. Have you been doing water changes?
Back to top Go down
calihawk
Private First Class
Private First Class
calihawk

newbie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie   newbie - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/9/2010, 4:45 pm

Good big fish? Well pretty much any big fish will eat any small fish so you should get a strictly herbivore fish even then its iffy. Even a goldfish big enough will eat your little ones.

For your 55 you should get a Red Devil as they are super destructive for their size and could get up to maybe 12". Also the color is very attractive. Otherwise get a Dovii https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSMXR3UV2GI
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

newbie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie   newbie - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/9/2010, 5:01 pm

This is just my 2 cents. I would never buy/own a red devil. It will be the only thing in your tank and they are hybrids. Most people dont know what to do with red devils after there true colors so they release them in a pond or river.... They don't think about the other fish in the pond/river. THESE ARE SUPER DUPER AGGRESSIVE! Will kill anything it can. Soon it will be the only thing in the river/pond. Get a cichlid species that is pure and can be kept with atleast it's own kind.
Back to top Go down
goodpick
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class
goodpick

Favorite Fish: : Just love fish

newbie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie   newbie - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 12:18 pm

Well thanks guys that was very helpful i am still looking local for a 55 gallon and stand hard to find cheap just had a little one and don't want to put out alot of cash
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

newbie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie   newbie - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 12:30 pm

craigslist

Best place to find a cheap 55 gallon. Email the person and offer them what you want to pay. Good chance is that you will get it. I've bought two of my tanks that way. Good Luck!

And yes. If you are going to go huge, go with something that won't outgrow the tank. Jack Dempseys are a good choice for that size tank. Moderately aggressive and easy to sex. There are many other African Cichlids that will work excellent in a 55 gallon. Hang around a little bit and you'll learn a lot.

Our library is growing in entries and there are some breeders and sellers on here that would be more than happy to show you some picture of their fish!
Back to top Go down
Mlegion1988
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Mlegion1988

Favorite Fish: : Oscars, African Cichlids

newbie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie   newbie - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/10/2010, 12:47 pm

I honestly think products like TLC are a waste of money, the best way to grow beneficial bacteria is to let it happen naturally. It's good that you have several small fish in your tank to help get the process going (small amount of fish waste). Just make sure you age your water or use Prime! ; )

And Welcome to the Box, you will learn lots here!
Back to top Go down
OldTanks
USA Fishbox Sponsor
OldTanks

Favorite Fish: : http://photobucket.com/oldtanks

newbie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Welcome Aboard!   newbie - Page 2 Icon_minitime8/22/2010, 9:59 pm

Welcome Aboard!

Very nice people here, Feel free to post your questions to the forums, and photos to the gallery.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

newbie - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie   newbie - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2