UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Needlenose Gars

Go down 
    3 posters
    AuthorMessage
    2SciCrazed
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant
    2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Needlenose Gars Empty
    PostSubject: Needlenose Gars   Needlenose Gars Icon_minitime6/26/2010, 5:06 pm

Saw some small ones at a local pet store, found them very interesting. They were being kept with other highly agressive species. The young man working there advised to only keep them with species like African Cichlids. Buy them all small and let them grow together.

Now that I've decided to use the 55G for the Cichlids - will this be a suitable mixing of species for the next year? I'm purchasing a HD shelving unit that can handle a 90G on the bottom in the future - so I am not against looking to upsize next summer for the following school year. If the fish grow too large for a 55G that quickly.

I also noticed in the Barb book, that certain aggressive Barbs were suitable to mix with Cichlids and helped calm them down. Would I still need them with the Gars - or would the Gars simply enjoy them as a hard-earned snack?

- Laura
    Back to top Go down
    2SciCrazed
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant
    2SciCrazed

Favorite Fish: : Anything that's not belly up!

Needlenose Gars Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Needlenose Gars   Needlenose Gars Icon_minitime6/26/2010, 5:10 pm

Oops! Forgot to add that I learned over vacation that Angelfish were also aggressive Cichlids. (Gotta love boredom and a bunch of new and old pet info books)

Would Angels be a better blend with Africans than Gars? Both of those species seem to stay in the upper regions of the water column while Africans like the bottom.

Or would the aggressive Barbs be too much for Angels to tolerate?
    Back to top Go down
    musiccitycichlids
    Sergeant
    Sergeant
    musiccitycichlids

Favorite Fish: : Benthochromis Tricoti, All variants of Zaire Blue, Calvus, Trophs, Gobies, Rhamphochromis, Lethrinops, African Tigerfish(in my dreams)

Needlenose Gars Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Needlenose Gars   Needlenose Gars Icon_minitime6/26/2010, 8:28 pm

Do not mix africans with any of the above. I have never tried to mix africans and gars so I won't speak on that(I wouldn't do it because the gar would be harassed, but for sure no africans and angels. On a cichlid aggression scale, angels would be a 1 or a 2 on a 10 point scale and most africans would be a 6-10.

I would figure out which is your favorite, or keep multiple tanks.
    Back to top Go down

Needlenose Gars Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Needlenose Gars   Needlenose Gars Icon_minitime6/27/2010, 8:38 am

do not mix gars and Africans, one or the other will get eaten.
    If you want to do African cichlids pick a rift lake and go from there. Most fish in the same lake have the same basic water needs, then its just a question of aggression compatibility.
    Back to top Go down
    istrober
    istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

Needlenose Gars Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Needlenose Gars   Needlenose Gars Icon_minitime6/27/2010, 10:09 am

im pretty sure the gars with eat the africans so is not a very good idea.. Needlenose Gars 690297
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

Needlenose Gars Empty
    PostSubject: Re: Needlenose Gars   Needlenose Gars Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Needlenose Gars
    Page 1 of 1