UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.

My Shipping Experiment

Go down 
+7
KMX
whisper
CajunGator
thebanker
khrister
airball2006
Holey Rock of Texas
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 7:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

so i have long wondered what was the best way to ship fish so i went out and purchased some breather bags. i tried to ship some fish to fern and they did not make it. so in order to attempt to figure out what went wrong i propose the following experiment. i also measured out 3.5 cups of water every time.

i have randomly selected 3 fish for each bag. these fish are around 2.5" each and healthy. i will use water from the same tank every time as a control variable. bag one will just have water in it and will serve as the control. bag 2 will have 2 bag bubbies tablets, bag 3 dechlor/ stress coat for 10 gallons, bag 4 sink water with dechlor / stress coat for 10 gallons, bag 5 1 bag buddy tablet, and bag 6 is double bagged.

Bag # 1 Control
Bag # 2 2 bag buddies
Bag # 3 dechlor
Bag # 4 Sink water with dechlor
Bag # 5 1 bag buddy
Bag # 6 double bagged

i plan on opening the bag in two days to determine the results. i will keep you posted and if anyone has any suggestions on how i should change the experiment please let me know. also they were placed in 2 separate boxes in the same room and same location.

let the experiment begin.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:32 pm

They were double bagged (tied end going first into second bag). Also, the water was blue so I am not sure if he used some special water or some tablets that turned the water blue. He also shipped all the fish in a styrofoam container so that it would not get extremely hot.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:34 pm

Water is blue due to bag buddies.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:37 pm

so the standard way. how many per bag and how big was the bag? also how many days in transit?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:39 pm

thread jacked Ok so what are the bag buddy's supposed to do? I've never seen them or used them, I've gotten fish with them and its still hit or miss
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:40 pm

Did I miss Jill? My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 690297
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:41 pm

Holey Rock of Texas wrote:
so the standard way. how many per bag and how big was the bag? also how many days in transit?

I put 1 Tablet per bag...regardless of number of fish per bag.
REad the label...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:41 pm

No just the one sp44 decided he didn't want to live in FL lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:42 pm

But I think vics take shipping harder than most
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:43 pm

they produce O2 and calm the fish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:45 pm

So the same concept as using 1/2 dose of stress coat and O2?
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:45 pm

The fish actually took 2 1/2 days to get here. He shipped on Monday at 5 PM and I had to flag the UPS driver down today at 10 AM. I think that if I would have waited until 4 PM probably most all of the fish would have died in this heat.

Each front was bagged individually because some of the fronts were almost 4" long. He used those long tube bags with only half of the bag being filled. It weighed around 35 Lbs total in the styrofoam container.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:49 pm

nice. sounds like he did it the currect way but a little long on the shipping.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:54 pm

airball2006 wrote:
Today I received my Gibb Ikola. The person sent me 14 and 6 ended up dying. They were all bagged the same way; yet 8 made it and 6 didn't. I guess sometime it also depends on the strength of the fish.

Good thing the seller is going to reimburse me for the dead fish.

I will not send 4" fish on a two day freight.
How much did you pay on shipping if I may ask.

Same day Airfreight is the best method of shipping for Big fishes.

Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 8:58 pm

same day is the best way for any fish!!!!!
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/24/2010, 9:37 pm

yep AIR CARGO RULES!!!!

yes
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2010, 6:18 am

Good luck on your experiment!! i hope you find the right way to ship them.. i heard that air cargo is one of the best way to ship stuff..
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2010, 6:52 am

khrister wrote:
airball2006 wrote:
Today I received my Gibb Ikola. The person sent me 14 and 6 ended up dying. They were all bagged the same way; yet 8 made it and 6 didn't. I guess sometime it also depends on the strength of the fish.

Good thing the seller is going to reimburse me for the dead fish.

I will not send 4" fish on a two day freight.
How much did you pay on shipping if I may ask.

Same day Airfreight is the best method of shipping for Big fishes.

I didn't pay much. I think it was $20. This was the main reason why I bought these fish from this person. Shipping was reasonable and guaranteed. I would definitely buy more fish from him because he also takes accountability for the health of the fish and packaging regardless of which method they are shipped in.
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime6/25/2010, 8:09 am

I have always been scared to have fish shipped to me thats why I have never had fish shipped to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Shipping Experiment   My Shipping Experiment - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Shipping Experiment
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2