UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

My 75gl Fish tank

Go down 
+4
unknown
Holey Rock of Texas
BFinley
istrober
8 posters
AuthorMessage
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 6:36 am

Heres my 75Gl fish tank, its a very simple tank setup, i had to remove all the ornaments because my Red Belly Pacu likes to swim fast sometimes and makes a hole mess in the tank My 75gl Fish tank 690297 , im planning on adding some small fake plants so he cant destroy it, any suggestions??

[img]My 75gl Fish tank 06101010[/img]
Back to top Go down

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 7:13 am

Yes that is a simple tank! He is a big boy! I have some fake plants laying around here somewhere that I don't plan on using.......
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 7:39 am

Nice tank and Pacu!!!
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 9:04 am

wow. he is a monster. cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

Favorite Fish: : You mean I gotta have a favorite??

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 9:44 am

Nice looking Pacu. How long is he? He looks about the size of our two. I would also suggest placing something vertical and relatively heavy in front of your heater. When they get their spurts, they will tend to get that thing moving, even if the suction cups are good. Last thing you want is a broken heater in a tank that size.

As for plants, anything you put in should stay near the back so he still has the full length of the tank for swimming. I have found that they will even remove short plants in their main swim pattern.

Do you plan on putting in any other fish to keep him company? Some dithers might help him remain calm.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 9:52 am

That guy is gonna get to 24 inch. Quickly. Lol
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

Favorite Fish: : Africans, Peacocks, Catfish.. pertty much everything that has fins and tail...

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 10:13 am

He's now 12in almost 13, yes hes been growing very fast because all i give him is shrimp, its a good idea about putting plants on the back, i have a african knife and a eclipse catfish, i just bought a Silver Tiger Datnoid yesterday and it looks that they are getting along very well i guess, god if he gets to 24in i dont know what im gonna do with him lol, i cant afford a 120gl right now (unless i find a cheap one).. My 75gl Fish tank 772341
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 10:19 am

That's a big boy!

Look on CL for a tank or start digging a pond! lol!

What CL area are you in? I'm good at tracking down tanks.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 10:20 am

KMX wrote:
That's a big boy!

Look on CL for a tank or start digging a pond! lol!

What CL area are you in? I'm good at tracking down tanks.

lol! Good idea!, im in Fort Myers Area (Lee County)
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 10:31 am

i agree with kory, start digging a pond lol. he is going to get huge.
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 11:00 am

istrober wrote:
He's now 12in almost 13, yes hes been growing very fast because all i give him is shrimp,

You may consider adding variety to his diet. Pacu are largely vegetarian in nature. They need a large quantity of vegetable matter in their diet to maintain a healthy digestive system. They love algae wafers and you can use fresh veggies to supplement his diet. We have found cucumber, zucchini, romaine lettuce, fresh green beans, etc... very reasonably priced and absolutely devoured by the Pacu.
Back to top Go down
CajunGator
CajunGator

Favorite Fish: : Cichlids, WC Syn Petricola, Shellies, Festae, Mbu Puffers, Koi Angels, ABN, Piranha, Mermaids

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 11:09 am

HUGE PACU + POND = HAPPY FISH
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 11:30 am

I tried giving some zucchini, lettuce, but he doesnt even touch it, all he wants is MEAT!! lol, i dont know if is because i never gave him vegetables since he was 3in long when i bought it, all hes been eating is pellets, and shrimp. What can i do to make him eat vegetables???
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 11:45 am

I'm not sure how to get him to eat his veggies. Mine will automatically go for the more heavily vegetated food. Since I make my own foods, I have an easy way to adjust the diets of all my fish by adjusting the amount of vegetation to meat in the foods I make. It may be a matter of trying to feed both meat and produce at the same time. Start with more meat than veggie, slowly increasing the veggie and decreasing the meat. You won't want to totally cut the meat out of his diet, but you do want to add vegetable matter.

As long as he has shown no signs of intestinal problems (stringy, trailing fecal matter, bloating, swim problems, etc...) there may not be an issue for him. He certainly looks healthy and happy.

When you feed the vegetables, do you just let it float, or do you attach it to something to make it sink? We noticed that they are more likely to eat it if it sinks. I think they may have trouble chewing on something that is free-floating.
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 11:50 am

Yeah ill try that, you are totally right, when i feeding sometimes he eats of my hand, but most of the time he doesnt eat until the food drops to the ground, the veggies i just drop it and it goes down (not the lettuce). Does your pacu sometimes acts very active?? like he starts swiming up and down when you go far away from the tank??? lol! he makes me laugh a lot cuz he looks like a dog moving his tail...
Back to top Go down
BFinley
Admin
Admin
BFinley

Favorite Fish: : Frontosa and Red Tail Catfish and All Africans

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 11:52 am

When I had my Pacu I fed him karrots and he loved them.You could here him crunch the karrots and eat them.
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 12:04 pm

Mine are always active. They actually start begging when I come into the room. They think it's feeding time. They can be worse than dogs. They will start swimming up and down and hang round at the top where I usually feed. When I open the lids, they are already trying to catch their dinner and I haven't even dropped it in yet.

Ours like carrots as well. I have several food mixes and have niticed the Pacu go for the heaviest veggie/fruit mixes. They will eat just about anything, but we have found that they don't like radishes. They won't even nibble on them!! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 12:13 pm

My 75gl Fish tank 690297 lol no i know hes not the only spoiled pacu on the earth, yesterday he finally let me touch him and rub his top fin!!, ill try to feed him with some carrots today.
Back to top Go down

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 12:14 pm

I will give you a bit of my homemade food when you come by for that filter, its 50-50 meat and veggi. I feed it to everyone a few times a week, everyone from mollys to flowerhorns loves it!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 12:17 pm

Ok that'll be nice!, you guys got to show me how that homemade food works, because spending $10.00 of shrimp all the time i think its better of doing homemade stuff..
Back to top Go down

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 12:21 pm

I make my homemade food like 5lbs at the time, its lasted me about 8 months..... It was roughly $20-$30 to make, it all depends on what you put in it on how much it will cost. Its also a lot safer than using feeder shrimp, live foods run you the risk of parasites and disease, frozen foods tend to be much safer.
But if you have a wife or girlfriend you may want to get your own blender to make it in..... Or it could get ugly lol!
Back to top Go down
istrober
istrober

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 12:26 pm

Thats definitely worth it, now i have a big homework for my wife lol!
Back to top Go down
unknown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
unknown

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime6/22/2010, 1:14 pm

I can tell you that we usually get our produce at the 99 cent store, and the fish/shrimp at the local mexican grocers. The prices are better and the quality is usually higher. They are also less likely to have as much pesticide or injected filler.

With some of the produce, you may have to remove the skin, but for the most part you can just make sure it is thouroughly washed. Since they wax cucumber skins, that will have to be removed. Hard skins like squashes will have to come off. Fruits, you just have to watch the seeds.

We can usually make about 5 lbs of food for less than $20.00 depending on what we can find on sale.

I use different blends for different purposes. Fry get their own blend - high protien. Pacu and Silver Dollars get the higher vegetation. Everybody else gets a variety. By making different blends, I can also add variety to their diets and keep a rotation going. This is especially important when you are conditioning your maters to spawn.
Back to top Go down
pacuman
Private First Class
Private First Class
pacuman

Favorite Fish: : pacu

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime7/7/2010, 10:20 pm

he will die in a pond unless you have it heated n to much shrimp is badd for him as for the plants they like to eat them or up root them
Back to top Go down
pacuman
Private First Class
Private First Class
pacuman

Favorite Fish: : pacu

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime7/7/2010, 10:21 pm

he will die in a pond unless you have it heated n to much shrimp is badd for him as for the plants they like to eat them or up root them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My 75gl Fish tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: My 75gl Fish tank   My 75gl Fish tank Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My 75gl Fish tank
Page 1 of 1