UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

How to get holding female out from a large tank?

Go down 
+4
thebanker
khrister
Holey Rock of Texas
airball2006
8 posters
AuthorMessage
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

How to get holding female out from a large tank? Empty
PostSubject: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 1:16 pm

I have 2 females: one chailosi and one gallireya female holding in my 150 Gallon Tank. I witnessed the mating dance of the two so I know that these fry will be the same species. How do I get these females out of the tank without turning the tank upside down? Will these fish get weak and slow after 3 weeks of holding so I can easily catch them then?
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 1:34 pm

either when the light is out or my luck. i always have to take the tank apart. this is why most breeders do not decerate thier tanks. good luck.
Back to top Go down
Holey Rock of Texas
Admin
Admin
Holey Rock of Texas

Favorite Fish: : shellys

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 1:36 pm

i would say the little trap you made but a holding female will not eat for the most part so this will not really work. if she will come close to the surface while feeding you could swoop in like a bird with a net and get her. stresses the fish out tho.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 1:39 pm

Put them to sleep for about and hour and get a net and flashlight and see if you can get her that way. When they are asleep its very easy to net them and seems to be pretty stress free for the most part.
Back to top Go down
khrister
USA Fishbox Sponsor
khrister

Favorite Fish: :
Cyphotilapia
Cyprichromis
Mbunas
Fancy PL*CO

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 1:41 pm

Patience lots and lots of patience....I was breeding tropheus in a 140g and I use 2 big nets. The technique is to leave the nets inside for a couple of minutes so they don't get spooked by it. Then slowly shepherd and corral the target fish. No jerking or chasing movement.

Last edited by khrister on 6/15/2010, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 1:41 pm

LOL..Yeah, the trap that I made with the floating breeding net and the empty container did not work on these holding females. I tried the swooping hawk method, but I am way to slow for these fish. Fish went in hiding even before I could lift my fish net lol!
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 1:44 pm

Fern wrote:
Put them to sleep for about and hour and get a net and flashlight and see if you can get her that way. When they are asleep its very easy to net them and seems to be pretty stress free for the most part.

That is a good idea. I'll try and see if this works.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 1:52 pm

That's how I catch holding mooris in my 8 foot long tank! Usually you have 10-15 minutes till they become fully awake and if you haven't gotten them by that time give it up for the night and try again the next night.
I wish you luck!!!
Back to top Go down
thebanker
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
Chief Wrnt. Off. 5
thebanker

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/15/2010, 3:37 pm

khrister wrote:
Patience lots and lots of patience....I was breeding tropheus in a 140g and I use 2 big nets. The technique is to leave the nets inside for a couple of minutes so they don't get spooked by it. Then slowly shepherd and corral the target fish. No jerking or chasing movement.

I do the same thing, but it also helps to catch them when they are trying to sleep, its almost like there frozen for a few seconds.
Back to top Go down
KMX
Admin
Admin
KMX

Favorite Fish: : African Cichlids of all kinds.

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/16/2010, 12:02 am

I do like Fern sometimes. Get them when they are sleeping.

Patience is key.
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/16/2010, 6:31 am

This is a good method because several of the cichlids were very easy to catch. Unfortunately, the main one I was trying to catch was sleeping inside the rocks. I guess I will try again another night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/16/2010, 6:47 am

If she keeps sleeping in the rocks you may need to dismantle her sleeping spot.......
Back to top Go down
juice04
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/16/2010, 6:55 am

Mr Miaggi method - use your chopsticks..
Back to top Go down
airball2006
Sergeant 1st Class
Sergeant 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/18/2010, 8:59 am

Finally got her...Took me three days of chasing her around for 30 minutes each. I guess she finally got tired from not eating and all the running that she was pretty easy to catch. Now lets hope that she has a lot of Gallireya Fry in her mouth lol!
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/21/2010, 6:47 am

Good Luck! I have only had to fish out of a 75 gallon so far. I think that would be a tough task. Fishing fry out would be even worse, though.
Back to top Go down
Mr Fish
Sergeant
Sergeant

Favorite Fish: : Peacocks, and Haps

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime6/25/2010, 10:48 am

We always just go in after them..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get holding female out from a large tank?   How to get holding female out from a large tank? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to get holding female out from a large tank?
Page 1 of 1