UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Welcome to USAFishBox! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To view the index and portal you must be a member. Please click the register button to join NOW for FREE.!..Finally check out the 24 hour live chat !!!
UsaFishBox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UsaFishBox

USA Fishbox is THE place where fish freaks come together. Here at USA we talk aquatics all day long. If you are new please sign up and join in.

facebookForumHomeLatest imagesLog inRegister
Welcome to USA Fishbox. If you are a guest please sign up. This forum is 100% free to use.
Similar topics

Obsidian Sand?

Go down 
+4
dano
Holey Rock of Texas
KMX
micahsutton
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

Favorite Fish: : Golden Nugget Pleco, Lemon Jake, Red Top Lwanda, Aulonocara Baenschi, Otopharynx Lithobates, and Frontosa's.

Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/25/2009, 1:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

So i have been needing to switch to sand and i am gonna do it this weekend. I am doing black sand so i thought i only had two choices. Eco-complete substrate and Taihitian moon black sand.
But i just found a LFS that sells bulk sand, .45/lb. Its obsidian sand. I have never heard of it.
Pro/cons??? Any one use this?
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
CSnyder00

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 1:11 pm

Make sure you keep it stirred! Also, keep an eye on your bottom dwellers like Fern said. Don't want barbel erosion. Bad stuff.
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

Favorite Fish: : Golden Nugget Pleco, Lemon Jake, Red Top Lwanda, Aulonocara Baenschi, Otopharynx Lithobates, and Frontosa's.

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 1:49 pm

It looks really thick in the pic but it's only about an inch thick. I was suprised it came out that thick since i only got 80 lbs. I stir it up every two weeks when i do water changes. So far the Cory cat, pictus', and golden nugget are loving it and have had no issues.

Last edited by micahsutton on 12/17/2009, 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CSnyder00
CSnyder00

Favorite Fish: : Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Ocellatus, Any bright-colored freshwater cichlid

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 1:52 pm

Good. Sounds like you found some rare stuff! Nice!
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 2:12 pm

Ya maybe i did. but for the price this needs to be available to everyone! lol. I just found out it is actually distributed from Tacoma, WA. Which is right where i live so looks like i can get more if i ever need it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/17/2009, 4:03 pm

I doubt its obsidian if its not sharp. Keep a very good eye on your PH!
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/18/2009, 9:59 am

I haven't had any issues with PH. if anything i think it is dropping it. I have been trying to raise it to 8.2 and no matter how much 8.2 water i add i seem to stay about 7.4? The only thing i have that might alter that is 2 smaller pieces of driftwood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 4:39 pm

If you want to raise the PH add some shell, holey rock or coral. Its the safest way to do it.
Yes driftwood will drop it some.
Back to top Go down
philuponthepho
Captain
Captain
philuponthepho

Favorite Fish: : Anything I can afford (which is $0)

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/19/2009, 4:50 pm

crushed coral or pulverized limestone (limestone being cheap)

Holey rock is made from limestone!
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/20/2009, 12:05 am

yea i was thinking about adding some crushed coral in with the sand. I think it will give it a cool look and help my ph.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 9:22 am

start out with 1 lb per 20gal. Give that a week or two and see how your PH is. If its still too low for your liking add another handful. You will also have to add more later on as crushed coral dissolves faster than whole coral or shell or limestone...... Just watch the size of your pieces and when they start to get smaller add more.
The thing with adding it to your substrate is that you wont be able to use it for soft water fish in the future.
Back to top Go down
micahsutton
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
micahsutton

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 3:31 pm

Ok thanks for the help because i really didnt know where to start in adding it and how much per gallon. I got my ph to 8.2 now but what i am having problems with is the i do bi-weekly water change and i have 7.2-7.4 water and it lowers the ph when i do it. But what i have been doing is just adding the 8.2 powder to the water i have been putting in.
Back to top Go down
dano
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
dano

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 4:55 pm

Obsidian can be napped to be used as optical grade surgical schapels.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/21/2009, 4:57 pm

Just do smaller and more frequent changes. Drop back to 5%-10% or so on a water change. Don't add the PH up stuff you wont need it with small water changes.... Its not good for the fish anyways.
With small amounts of water being changed the PH diff of 1 is not an issue at all. It may drop .1 for a few hours but that small amount will not affect the fish.
Back to top Go down
In Design
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime11/5/2013, 5:15 pm

Hi Micah,
I know this forum is really old, but can you tell me where you got this sand? Or the name of the distributor?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
baticusocellatus
Private
Private
baticusocellatus

Favorite Fish: : Lamprologus Ocellatus Gold,Victorian Cichlids> & Taganykia
Based Cichlids

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime1/23/2014, 3:09 pm

Oh Nice First info i look for & you all have made it easy for a Noobie here to get his question answered fast. Thank You all. Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 265353 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obsidian Sand?   Obsidian Sand? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Obsidian Sand?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2